Is Sturrock our possible new Director of football

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It seems quite fanciful that Sturrock is taken on "to give Hargreaves a hand" - there are five games left. We havn't got a chairman, the ship is rudderless, and then lo and behold Sturrock is appointed. Who actually made that decision then?
Noone seems to have a clue what is going on but its all quite really bizarre.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote:It seems quite fanciful that Sturrock is taken on "to give Hargreaves a hand" - there are five games left. We havn't got a chairman, the ship is rudderless, and then lo and behold Sturrock is appointed. Who actually made that decision then?
There is speculation that Bill Phillips is to be named interim chairman - which will go down like a lead balloon with some, I guess - but a Thea-less board has made a decent start by bringing in someone like Sturrock.

As has already been mentioned, in each of these previous scenarios, the in-situ manager has ended up leaving and a Sturrock/Coughlin partnership may be an intriguing one. I would feel more confident in League 2, as I suspect Luggy knows the players but how familiar he is with those at this level, remains to be seen. Positive move though, in my view.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

who is Luggy. if its Paul Sturrock. how did he get that nickname?
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Plainmoor87
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Caldwell

Post by Plainmoor87 »

Hugely positive and , crucially, timely. So often we've seen appointments made too late, with retained lists already decided and then the close season almost over before anyone of any gravitas is brought in to effect change. Sturrock has contacts, he has respect and experience - leadership! Finally! Can't see hodges post being viable for much longer and then it's a case of egos and personalities - ultimately thus must signal time on Hargreaves' tenure. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but at some point. Sturrock will have absorbed all the necessary data and has seen at first hand how each individual has(not) performed - how long Hargreaves will feel able to dance to Sturrock's tune will remain to be seen.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

brucie wrote:It seems quite fanciful that Sturrock is taken on "to give Hargreaves a hand" - there are five games left. We havn't got a chairman, the ship is rudderless, and then lo and behold Sturrock is appointed. Who actually made that decision then?
Poor Brucie you really have not got a clue..............

Sorry everybody for stating the bleeding obvious !!!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Glostergull wrote:who is Luggy. if its Paul Sturrock. how did he get that nickname?
Yes - Luggy is Paul Sturrock. I think his nickname stems back to his time as a player with Dundee United, on account of his ears.

Quite often he will sign his son, Blair - but he won't need to do that for us as Blair has already played for us and is getting on a bit now.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Very positive. Cant believe anyone would not think so, but there we go.
TUST MEMBER
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Neal wrote:Very positive. Cant believe anyone would not think so, but there we go.
Agreed Neal.

One of the few positive things in the last few months unfortunately.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Great appointment at a great time!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

No problem with Sturrock, in fact I welcome the move that should have been made months ago with pleasure, but Bill Phillips as "interim (non investing) chairman give me a break! Wonder how long it is before that moves made perm?

How on earth you can have have a chairman that doesn't invest, in any capacity, in any buisness is totally beyond me.

Credit where credits due he's slowly getting exactly where he wants to be to maximise his interests to the detriment of TUFC without spending a penny.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It would be interesting to know how Bill Phillips could maximise his interests to the detriment of the club if he has no financial interest in the club. And in any case, being chairman of the club, any conflicts of interest might arise must be declared..?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I do not know what Bill Phillips does, nor do I know what he has done, so I'm not knocking anyone's sentiment who may know more than me. However the problem facing the club in the short term is, who else is going become chairman in the short term, I would suggest it might be the case no else is prepared to step forward, also there must be other clubs out there with chairmen with no financial investment in the club.

We have to ask ourselves why is Sturrock here, who appointed him, it may well be the case it wasn't our current board, he may well not be here to assist, he might here working for someone else, so Phillips may not be the only person with a short term interim tag to his position, we have to just sit back and watch this space. This could be a sign of interesting times ahead.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Perhaps some reasons for Thea stepping down so suddenly are becoming clear.

1. Sturrock brought in as Director of Football

2. Hargreaves and Hodges to be sacked

Thea did not want to be the one who had to sack another Manager ....??????????