Is Hargreaves fit for purpose?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Southampton Gull wrote:Same points remain as before BUT it's getting to the stage where his position is untenable. It's just a shame that certain so called fans seem to take such pleasure from defeats because they think it 'proves' them right. I'd rather they just followed their 'big' team and didn't pretend to support their supposed hometown club.

For what it's worth I'd still support my club no matter how sh*t we are.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Noone is taking any pleasure whatsoever in getting beaten 5-1 by Braintree, but the way we are playing,the lack of tactics,team selection everything is wrong.
We should NOT be in a relegation fight in this league - that is indefensable. As you say his position is untenable after that result.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I'm afraid after the last few results my patience with Hargreaves has gone. Granted he's had his hands tied in regards with money and who he can sign, but tonight was the final straw for me.

I can take relegation last season, but for the last few months, the so called football we have played has been awful to watch. I'm surprised there were over 1,000 there tonight.

Losing 5-1 at home to Braintree is unacceptable and it's alright in saying the players will react, but they haven't and I honestly think that Chris has lost the dressing room.

I'll still be there on Saturday and at Woking next Tuesday, I only hope something changes before then. Whether it be the management or a positive performance Saturday, something needs to change quickly.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote:Same points remain as before BUT it's getting to the stage where his position is untenable. It's just a shame that certain so called fans seem to take such pleasure from defeats because they think it 'proves' them right. I'd rather they just followed their 'big' team and didn't pretend to support their supposed hometown club.

For what it's worth I'd still support my club no matter how sh*t we are.
It's not about being proved right or rubbish about not supporting their hometown club - that's why it hurts so bad.
If posters didn't care then opinions like that wouldn't get posted.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Perhaps it needed something like tonight to happen for the final nail to be hammered into this sorry season, and quite probably CH's fledgling managerial career.

Hopefully, the club will learn that going down the legend route is stupid, if there are better candidates available. They tried the populist appointment with both Knill and Hargreaves when on both occasions a thorough selection process should have been gone through. Sadly, all we are likely to get to replace CH is some battle weary Conference manager like Martin Foyle, who has achieved very little.

Paul Cox or Mark Yates would probably get my vote.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: It's not about being proved right or rubbish about not supporting their hometown club - that's why it hurts so bad.
If posters didn't care then opinions like that wouldn't get posted.
Absolute bollocks. You couldn't wait to resurrect the thread and gloat. 'Discuss' shows your joy at the expense of our manager and someone who will obviously be hurting a lot more than you are.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: Absolute bollocks. You couldn't wait to resurrect the thread and gloat. 'Discuss' shows your joy at the expense of our manager and someone who will obviously be hurting a lot more than you are.
im passed it now with CH.
fans are voting with their feet and even some of the die hard CH fans on here are doubting his ability. If I wanted to have a pop I would have used more words than just "discuss".
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

You don't have an argument in you. All we get is one word posts and 'don't talk wet'. I was hoping for more seeing as you've been 'right' since he was first appointed !!!
Dave

Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Never Was - Is Not Now - and on the experience of the last 18 months + - Never WILL Be.

I consider that he has had sufficient time - never mind the lack of money - to prove he has some concept of game tactics and ability as a man manager.

Nothing I have seen over the last 18 months convinces me that he would be any more able with a budget the size of Man City.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Just got back (bloody M5 roadworks) and still can't believe what a shower of shit that was tonight.

Gutless, passionless, clueless.....call it what you like but when the dozens (yep it was that small a crowd) around you are laughing and joking about how crap we are, you know we're plummeting to depths we never thought possible.

Is Hargreaves fit for purpose?...............Still NO.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

I've never said much on this thread as I have always assumed that Sesimbra's thread title was a rhetorical question ;-)
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

Stefano - this thread was for discussion on the merits or otherwise of Hargreaves as manager and this is how it has turned out. I sensed there were problems after the Alfreton TV match but, I must admit, I did not think Hargreaves managerial abilities were so poor as to leave Torquay in the position we are today. I therefore feel justified in starting this thread despite abusive postings early on from a few contributors. I wonder what they are thinking now but I am not expecting an apology.
SG - I am not gloating just saddened that the team I have followed over 60 years has come to this.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

There was never anything wrong with asking the question and I share your sadness.
Dave

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Can't imagine any fan enjoys watching the team being humiliated 5-1 at home to part-time footballers.

Personally would have loved Hargreaves to succeed as a manager. What could be better than a 'club legend' leading the club to promotion as manager, having already done so as a player?

Unfortunately he got the job because of who he is, not what he'd achieved (as a manager). Many excellent players have failed to reciprocate that in management. There is no disgrace in it, you just have to acknowledge it and move on.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

Fonda - entirely agree with the last paragraph. I sometimes wonder if Hargreaves is more interested in his TV profile. Managing a soccer club puts the manager in the limelight and some of his remarks before matches have been over the top but have given him a good headline for the media. On at least one occasion in the last week he has been in the BBC Plymouth studio on TV giving his views on the other Devon teams.
Perhaps he should pay more attention to his own team.