Thea Bristow to resign

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Thea Bristow to resign

Post by tktufc91 »

Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Thank you to all you have done. I just hope we have someone in place otherwise there is no club to support
Lucy
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Without thea who knows where we would be, thanks for keeping our club afloat thea, now we need to find someone else quickly, or we will go under
The gulls are going up
zoomed
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by zoomed »

THEA TO STEP DOWN AT END OF SEASON
THE club can confirm that Thea Bristow will step down as Chairman at the end of this season.
Thea said: “I have been thinking about this decision for a while and it is best for me and my family that I step down to allow others to take the club forward.
“As I am sure people will appreciate, the role of Chairman can be a stressful one and recently it has had an impact on my health. Therefore, now is the right time to say that I think I have done enough.
“It’s been almost five years since Paul passed away and I have basically been majority funding the club since, including helping to build Bristow’s Bench, which we will always be proud of. We have enjoyed some great times, including the Wembley appearances, Promotions and the FA Cup runs, not to be forgotten.
“The club will always have a very special place in my heart because the Board and everyone involved were there for me during a very difficult part of my life following Paul’s passing.
“I have told the Board I will continue to fund the club until the end of the financial year and I will also arrange for my loans to be transferred into shares. Therefore, at that time, I will pass them on debt free.
“Kelvin Thomas has kindly agreed to stay until the end of this period to help the club and me with this transition, which I have agreed to fund personally. His hard work will continue to find the right custodians and help to improve the structure of the club.
“We are currently talking to a group interested in purchasing the club, and these discussions will continue. We are also aware of the Torquay United Supporters’ Trust (TUST) desire to own the club, so this would be a great time for them to step up and make that commitment, and there is always the option of a Consortium Mark Two, which has been muted.
“Finally, I would like to thank the fans, my family and friends for all the kind wishes and support over the years and I look forward to being a noisy part of the Yellow Army for years to come.”
The club can also confirm that Director Alan Bristow will be stepping down at the same time.

This is as much a surprise to us as everyone else but I have already been in touch with the Club this morning (7:15am) and will try to get a meeting with Kelvin and Thea ASAP.

Updates to follow...

Michael..
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Thanks for everything Thea. A remarkable lady and without her, and Paul, we might not have a club at all.

The other directors need to take a long hard look at themselves. The fact she felt lonely as chairperson is down to their lack of support both financially and by in terms of action.
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

Thank you to the Bristow family for their support. It is a shame for their tenure to end like this and I don't put any blame on them at all.

The position we are in now was predicted by myself and others years ago. We were ignored and now we find ourselves bang up to our necks in self inflicted shit! The blame lies four square with the supposed "respected" businessmen. I said it then.....never put your business in the control of lawyers or accountants, we did both. Ignorance of basic marketing and communication, actually no, it was worse. They didn't even recognise the need for basic skills. I went to the club in 2012 and told them how to do it. I would have gone a lot further but it was obvious then that they just didn't get it. That completely incompetent fool Phillips was left in charge along with the other idiot Baker to steer the ship straight into an iceberg, in broad daylight with people standing all around screaming "look out for that **** great big iceberg!!" I hope both of these retards will be shown the door with immediate effect.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

So some are getting exactly what they wished for, so let's see how much worse it gets now! I'm happy for Thea. She shouldn't be ransacking her family nestegg to maintain a football club for those who give her such grief.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Thank you Thea for all you have done. Thank you also for converting your loans into shares at the end of the season, that is a very generous thing to do.

Time for new faces now. Thea will be sorely missed, financial reality will strike quickly. I hope that at least one person on the board not called Bristow goes at the same time.
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

Looks like my post might not be to far wide, maybe not administration but nigh on.

Thank you Thea and all of your family you have given this club an opportunity to fight another day its up to the club now to make the right moves.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

gullintwoplaces wrote:Thank you Thea for all you have done. Thank you also for converting your loans into shares at the end of the season, that is a very generous thing to do.

Time for new faces now. Thea will be sorely missed, financial reality will strike quickly. I hope that at least one person on the board not called Bristow goes at the same time.
The club can also confirm that Director Alan Bristow will be stepping down at the same time.
Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... IOWYqhm.99
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We are fecked. Time to close the doors. Better that than the continually downward spiral which is heartbreaking. Time the club was put out of its misery.
Personally I will probably start supporting Exeter Ciity. only an hour from me, and a great manager.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

brucie wrote:We are fecked. Time to close the doors. Better that than the continually downward spiral which is heartbreaking. Time the club was put out of its misery.
Personally I will probably start supporting Exeter Ciity. only an hour from me, and a great manager.
Bit early to get the fishing rod out surely Brucie =D
OnTheContrary
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by OnTheContrary »

Thea stepping down might be a blessing in disguise for the club. We have been far to reliant of one person. She had the money, but she has been blatantly incompetent as a chairman - a fact she did point out herself when she took charge.

It is ridiculous to say Thea is not to blame for the situation we are. A professional football club is not a toy with ehich to learn how to run a business, and I blame Thea for not recognising that. During her "learning process" the club has gone from bad to utter crap, on and off the pitch.

I have nothing against Thea as a person, she is a lovely lady, but she has been way out of her depth and should have taken the consequences of that years ago.

I would gladly take someone like Mike Bateson back - someone with proven business knowhow and balls to make tough decisions to keep the club afloat. I'll be happy to be frustrated with the chairman and board as long as the club is safe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I was at the match last night and sit right in front of the directors. There were certainly no hints that this news was to be released today although it doesn't come as any surprise.
Despite the disappointing result Kelvin Thomas was upbeat when I spoke to him and interestingly there were a number of 'new' faces sitting with the Torquay directors. New investors??
As I've posted recently whilst another relegation must be avoided - let's get to 50 points asap - the bigger picture is to ensure Torquay has a football club for us to support.
KT has a big task but he gives the impression that he has what it takes; we need some positive news soon.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

RussianGull wrote: The club can also confirm that Director Alan Bristow will be stepping down at the same time.
Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... IOWYqhm.99
And at least one NOT called Bristow please.