Top 100 Torquay United Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Richard Logan scored the penalty. We bearly won the game after that when Goodridge was clear in the six yard box but somehow scuffed his shot
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Think that was McGlinchey with the own goal wasn't it? His first for TUFC before he even joined.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

stefano wrote: Although memory is affected by the aging process and the Cornish air! ;-)

The Blackpool game we were 2-1 down as the game reached added time, then Williams notched 2 for a 3-2 win.

The Argyle game, our first goal was a spectacular headed own goal and our second was a penalty in the last minute. Can't remember if Williams took it or not mind, so the aging process and the South Hams air is getting to me too! ;-)
You are right, it was 3-2 vs Blackpool. I knew I wasn't going completely mad though. It's taken a long time to find this, but there were two 2-2 Boxing Day games vs Argyle in the space of a couple of years, bith we came from behind, however I got them mixed up. Here's the details

26/12/1999

Plymouth 2 - 2 Torquay
HT 1 - 0 FT 2 - 2

Sean McCarthy (18)Paul McGregor (69)
Eifion Williams (52)Kevin Hill (75)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Kernowgull wrote:
You are right, it was 3-2 vs Blackpool. I knew I wasn't going completely mad though. It's taken a long time to find this, but there were two 2-2 Boxing Day games vs Argyle in the space of a couple of years, bith we came from behind, however I got them mixed up. Here's the details

26/12/1999

Plymouth 2 - 2 Torquay
HT 1 - 0 FT 2 - 2

Sean McCarthy (18)Paul McGregor (69)
Eifion Williams (52)Kevin Hill (75)
Yes I had forgotten the other game. Don't know how as Sean is a friend of mine and I normally remember the many goals he scored against us!!

Mind you I have got 52 years of Torquay United memories to process. Matron ... where did you put my memory pills! ;-)
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

There is a fourth moment for me. He scored an injury-time equaliser (1-1) up at St James, I think on a Boxing Day, maybe 2000? I just remember us being awful and not having a shot at goal all match until that moment.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

madgull wrote:Eifion Williams got two votes? I despair.
Although I didn't vote for Eifion, he fully deserves to be in the top 100 in my view. His time at Plainmoor was blighted by the arrival of Roy McFarland and his mind-numbing ultra defensive style of play. Williams was expected to play in midfield by MacMisery and this was not Williams game. When Eifion moved to Hartlepool, McFarland made the caustic remark that he didn't see him as a regular goalscorer. I doubt if Mcfarland would recognise a regular goalscorer if he saw one ! Eifion proved him wrong by going on to score a hatfull of goals to take Hartlepool into Div 1 and on upwards almost into the Championship.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The next player on the list was another Gull from the mid-1990's. This man came to Plainmoor for one season, so must have made a bit of an impression to pick up 3 points. It's…

Garry Nelson

Time spent at club: 1996-1997
Gulls Appearances: 32
Gulls Goals: 8

Garry Nelson started his career at Southend United, making over 100 appearances for the Shrimpers. After 4 years he moved west to join Swindon for £10,000, before Plymouth signed the winger for £15,000 two years on. In July 1987, Nelson was sold for £80,000 to Brighton, where he made around 150 appearances on the South Coast. Nelson found the net over 50 times for the Seagulls. In 1990, he joined Notts County on a 6 month loan, making just a handful of appearances.

In the summer of 1991, Nelson moved to Charlton (pictured) for £50,000, staying there for five years. In that time, he made over 150 appearances, scoring 40 goals. It was August 1996 when he moved to Plainmoor, in what I believe was a player/assistant manager role. His first goals for the club game in a 2-1 win at Fulham, where he scored twice in the final 15 minutes to win the match for United.

Nelson is also known for his off-field exploits, where he has had two books published. The first was a diary of some of his time at Charlton, while the second was a diary style book of his year at Plainmoor.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Glad some people are sticking up for my vote for Eifion Williams!

He was in my top ten for two moments that really stick in my memory as a Torquay supporter - his hat-trick on debut and the two goals against Blackpool. I hadn't been coming to watch Torquay for long - first game in 1997 - and those were two moments that helped get me hooked as a Torquay fan, and therefore Williams got into my top ten.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Williams nearly made my top ten, but then I only saw him properly once - though it was a memorable time. Easter Monday (or perhaps the Saturday, I can't remember) v Maccy. Pissing with rain and the pitch a mud bath. Drawing 2-2, Eifon digs out the ball from the muddiest penalty area I've ever seen and, through the plethora of players (it seemed that the entire 22 players were in the area), he hits the back of the net.

Cue delirium, and me hugging some random guy, breaking his back, due to my vast gut, in the process....

Still remember that goal today - his and Garners v Lincoln are probably two that stick out.

Re the Blackpool game - was that the one with the streaker?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Re the Blackpool game - was that the one with the streaker?
Yes Williams scored his goals in the time added on for the Blackpool supporter streaking incident.

Bet he was popular on the journey home! ;-)
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Jo Kuffour, What a great player he was, I agree, sign him up now. Proper effort. Who among us who were stood behind the goal at that memorable match at Carlise on 29th April 2006 can forget his contribution to perhaps one of the most exciting games I have ever seen. Not only was he a scorer but didn't he provide the cross for Kevin Hill to score. I really liked Jo, he had a big heart.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Jo Kuffour was a great player, sign him up!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

RussianGull wrote:Jo Kuffour was a great player, sign him up!
Probably be the next manager if somebody mentions he is a favourite ex-player. It's the only qualification you need. Allegedly ;-)
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

People have such short, rose-tinted memories. I can remember 'Willo' missing chance after chance and being a general calamity. That didn't ever stop the idiots on the pop side chanting for him every time we were behind. He came back with Hartlepool and had an absolute nightmare, I can remember the crowd chanting his name in appreciation of his (lack of) ability. Top 100 maybe at a push, but for anyone's top 10? Hmmmm.....
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

madgull wrote:People have such short, rose-tinted memories. I can remember 'Willo' missing chance after chance and being a general calamity. That didn't ever stop the idiots on the pop side chanting for him every time we were behind. He came back with Hartlepool and had an absolute nightmare, I can remember the crowd chanting his name in appreciation of his (lack of) ability. Top 100 maybe at a push, but for anyone's top 10? Hmmmm.....

Rose tinted? Your opinion matches the majority at the time, from what I remember. Complete opposite to me, I always thought he was criminally underrated and used ineffectually. Who can forget mac farmland refusing to play him up front when he brought in the procession of shite like Nicholls, Brown! Roach et al.

I'm more inclined to believe I was right, seeing as when he left us he then spent the majority of his career at league 1 level, playing either up front or wide.

Edited to say that he wouldn't be in my top ten, for all that.