Torquay United v Forest Green Rovers matchday thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Ref utterly useless again, the foul on Bowman was a disgrace to see on the football field.

Their RB and RCB were terrible but we didn't attack then enough, we started sitting back too early and that led to the free kick for their second.

Berry outstanding at RB, certainly the end of Tonge! Their first goal was a poor one too with 2 men totally unmarked!

We played better than we have recently and should have won, need to keep this unbeaten run going!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Wouldn't blame Rice for the second goal personally. I think that at the height that it hits the net questions should be asked of the wall, couple with a slight deflection I think blaming the goalkeeper would be harsh. I would however point a finger at the third goal, a very weak punch in the build up when a catch looked an easier option led to the pressure being cranked up on us.

A curious game really, FGR looked incredibly poor in the first half hour and we really should have been out of sight. Their first, beautifully created by a superb cross in, stopped us in our tracks and we never achieved the same fluency in our play thereafter. At 3-1 we should really have gone on to win at a canter but losing Bowman with some 35 minutes to go really cost us some impetus because wilfully though he tried O'Archie just couldn't get into the match.

In the end we dropped too deep defensively and gave FGR's midfield far too much room to operate. Even at this level, if you drop your standards for 10 minutes you get punished.

In any event, we might still have plundered a winner late on, as Young once again drove us on, but in the end I went away thinking that a draw was possibly fair for a game that had a decent ebb and flow to it.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To be fair FGR are a very good side, lots of pace up front play football, break with pace and found feet, they are genuine play-off contenders. As a fan I can not fault our team performance, plenty of commitment, desire and belief, something that's been missing for a while, but we've let a two goal lead slip so no doubt some will moan, and yes, it's disappointing, but again to be fair we've forced more saves out of their keeper than they did from Ricey, we've done enough to win the game.

Can not blame Martin Rice for any of those goals, first looked to be a free header, no one picking up in the box. The free kick come on, give the much maligned Martin Rice a break here, it was a thunderbolt he had no chance, the third, they caught on another quick break, we're short of numbers but a good finish.

Some will, and rightly so ask why couldn't we close this game out, some will clamour for 4-5-1, but we it's been proved time and time again, our team does not always defend well as a unit, so why invite pressure on to them, when you're likely to concede anyway, sometimes attack is the best form of defence, many a successful manager gain good results by playing to their team strengths rather than the oppositions strengths, I do not blame Chris Hargreaves, attack is clearly a strength of ours, defence is a weakness, so stick to what we do best.

Today also highlights what I think we already know, our squad is weak, O'Archie what's happened to this player over the last month, looked shadow of his former self, so losing Bowman despite criticism recently, still our best forward along with Briscoe, and when Briscoe tired we lost momentum all in all whilst it may feel like a defeat after letting the lead slip, more positives than negatives for me. Downes a colossus at the back, Ajala and Briscoe and Young individually very good games.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

it really hacks me off when people start blaming ricey every time we concede a goal, no way was he at fault for any of the gaols today, the ref was awful,should not have been a free kick against pearce in the first place, he took the ball, also the free kick that led to the first goal was dubious to say the least, and as for lee hughes an utter disgrace trying to pick/drag bowman off the ground, the guy shouldnt even be playing football.
having said all this we took our foot of the gas when we were 2-0 up the players thought they had it in the bag, sorry lads you could have sown this up by half time had you kept in there faces. :(
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Of all the teams in the top half of the table, only Barnet have scored more goals (48) than Torquay (36).

But, of all the teams in the top half of the table, Torquay, along with Gateshead, have the worst defensive records, both teams having conceded 26 goals.

This problem with our defence has been easy to identify; it's due to unintelligent team play, lack of discipline, and individual errors.

So it's obvious where improvements need to be made, and our defensive problems can certainly be improved with good coaching and practice, increased fitness levels, and the application and ambition of each individual player to learn and improve. I'm assuming, of course, that they have the desire and the capacity to learn. Time will tell.

At this stage, almost halfway through the season, I'm not unduly concerned. I believe they will improve, individually and collectively, in time to put a good promotion-challenging run together after the New Year. I also believe Chris Hargreaves, learning fast as a rookie manager, knows what needs to be done, and will do what's necessary.

In fact, whilst Paul Buckle, for all the personal criticisms made of him, was our most successful manager of recent years, I will go so far as to say that Chris Hargreaves will eventually prove to be an even better manager than Buckle. And with a smaller budget..!!
Last edited by Gullscorer on 15 Nov 2014, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The people blaming Rice are the commentators who actually described the match although Steve Breed should get an award for saying "coughed up possession" 1050 times in ninety minutes. The commentary team in the Barnet game said that Rice had not lined his wall up correctly. The blokes got so many failings as a keeper its untrue. Punched instead of caught it. Indeed the commentary team were saying today that the back four couldn't have any confidence in him because he hesitates so much.
Lets be honest as a keeper he is liability - as I have said before he wasn't here he would be struggling
to hold down a place at Bideford or Truro.
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

So frustrating we did not win that one after an outstanding team performance for much of the game. It was pleasing to see so many of our players on top of their game again after our recent barren run. Downes and Pearce were a tower of strength at the centre of defence and Berry was very impressive at right back. Going forward Ajala and Briscoe were excellent with their running and shooting, Cameron looked dangerous again on the wing and Bowman held the ball up very well and turned and beat his defenders more than once but sadly later went off injured. Crowd 2,117, 168 from Forest Green, sponsors MOTM Downes, Twitter MOTM Ajala.

My first impression today was to notice our new yellow and blue goal nets and how the pitch still looked in good nick considering all the recent rain. It cut up a bit during the game but nothing drastic. Torquay made a great start and Forest Greeen could not handle us. There was plenty of movement and invention from Torquay and after a Cameron shot got blocked, Bowman headed over their keeper into the net. Things got even better on 19 minutes as Ajala pounced and robbed the ball off their defender and raced clear to slipped the ball past their keeper into the net. 2-0 and Torquay were well in control. The game was played at a frantic pace and both teams went for it in an attacking sense. One minute we looked dangerous using our skill and pace, then before you knew it Forest Green were running at us and we were having to defend from a lively looking forest Green. Forest Green got 1 back following a free-kick on our right. The ball came into the box, 2 Forest Green attackers were unmarked and the ball was headed in with Rice rooted on his line. Torquay created some fantastic moves using some great passing and movement but sadly our players did not made the best of their chances opting to pass rather than shooting when clear on goal. Torquay went in at half-time deservedly 2-1 up.

Torquay had a good spell of pressure with their keeper making a great tip over save from a Young "special" that was just dipping in under the crossbar. Ajala got his second on 63 minutes following a Young corner the ball fell loose and Ajala slotted the ball home. At this stage there seemed little threat of a comeback but the match turned on a free-kick decision about 25 yards out central to goal. Pearce appeared to win his tackle but the referee gave a free-kick to Forest Green. The ball went through our wall and even more alarmingly through Rice into the goal. Torquay were struggling to clear their lines and Forest Green Green took the initiative. 4 minutes later it was 3-3 with a well worked move down our left.

With Bowman off injured. O'Archie struggled to hold the ball up and it was left to Ajala and Briscoe to be our main threat up front. Briscoe showed many aspects to his game, he was unlucky when a goal bound shot was just blocked by a defender and later showed great vision and laid a beautiful low cross for a waiting O'Archie but a defender just managed to get a toe on the ball to prevent a goal. In injury time Young burst through and unleashed a powerful shot that brought another great diving save from their keeper.

So 3-3 at full-time, there was great entertainment, some lovely skill and flair on show, some great team moves, a great team spirit but alas no 3 points. A friend of mine after the match suggested that if we had swapped keepers today, Torquay would have won comfortably. It's such a shame that so much of our good work has not been properly rewarded. Berry at right back is a big improvement for that problematic area but there are still 1 or 2 weak areas that need to be addressed. Our excellent performers today deserved better and there was good appreciation for the team as they left the field.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

With all the greatest respect to Steve Breed and the 'commentary team' Are they UFEA B or above qualified football coach's, are they qualified goalkeepers coach's are they ex-professional footballers. NO on all counts.

So from a technical point of view how would they wouldn't know whether he'd set his wall right or not, have they ever stood on a goal line and faced a shot coming at them at 100mph probably not, they have the right to an opinion as commentators, but unless they've been their and done it, their opinions are no more worthy than mine or the next layman, and I repeat ridiculous to blame Ricey for that free kick, as said it way a thunder bolt strike, which correctly pointed out above took a deflection on the way through.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

im sorry brucie but he still wasnt to blame for any of the goals today, im the first to criticise him when he has been poor, but you cant blame the guy for every goal.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Good game for the neutral but for a supporter with hopes, soul destroying.On their first goal, the first ball should have been attacked, from where I was I thought Rice was rooted to his line and should have got a fist on the first ball he had no chance once the ball was won. The second goal the free kick I thought Pearce who had a good game won the ball. I was right behind the free kick and I thought Rice only had to move half a yard to his right and it would have hit his chest but it was hit with great force, a bad goal to let in.
The performance was good but we are so open on the break Hargreaves spent all afternoon trying to get Ajala to track back to protect Cruise and when Hargreaves took Brisco off it left the midfield open.
Rice's confidence is very low, on several occasions he should have caught the ball to take the pressure off the defence but chose a shaky punch and that played a part to giving one of the goals away.
In the last 15 minutes Sinclair in their midfield dominated and made some good chances for FGR but we should have stopped him making so many telling passes.
On another day we could have one 6-2 there was so much going on all afternoon shame it was a draw. Everyone played their part in a very good game but Ajala and Brisco look really good signings for the club now they are settled in. :keepie:
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Two points dropped because of our inability to close a game out.

I can't say Rice was to blame for any of the goals as I always stand at the end we're shooting towards but he is very hesitant at coming for balls and that will always erode confidence in any defence.

Briscoe and Ajala both deserve credit for the way they played today. It was good to see Pearce back in the starting lineup and Berry was a million times better than Tonge has been.

However, when you're 3-1 up, you have to close a game down and we failed miserably. It reminded me of the defeat to Telford. The game was so open that you felt goals were coming every time each team attacked.

For me, now that Tonge has been replaced, we have two weak links in the defence......Cruise and Rice. We might get away with one of them in the team but not both.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Frustrating in the end but to be fair, Torquay played well against a decent team at this level. In the natural order of life, we would expect to beat FGR but this is the new unpleasant world, in which we now exist and with the resources they have their disposal, the quality of coaches, players and the whole set-up at the New Lawn, well, we are probably underdogs in comparison but we should have won today. Easily, as well.

Yet, when we were 2-0 up and trying to play like the Brazil our adjusted kit (presumably to avoid a luminous clash with FGR) was attempting to copy, I did think it was all going a little too well and it was the sort of game, with plenty of time to go, that teams throw away. With that, the heavens opened and so did any semblance of rhythm from Torquay's play and it was no surprise that FGR pulled a goal back. I was only half watching and heard some behind me blame Rice but I am not sure if that was the case.

Torquay picked up again before the break and continued where they left off in the second half when Ajala made it 3-1. Bowman's withdrawal did upset the team though - the football that they played, for patches during the game, was really good to watch and there were many good chances. Briscoe plays that 'hole' role very well, whilst Ajala roams well and, although he attempts too many tricks at times, today was one of his good days and most things came off. Cameron was a little quiet on the opposite wing and it was no surprise when he was subbed.

The swap for Bowman with O'Achie couldn't be helped but the addition of Thompson and Yeoman, sadly, only served to weaken the team (not sure I even saw Yeoman touch the ball) as neither possess the ability or the nous to add something to the team.

The 2nd FGR was a stunning free-kick, wrong awarded for a foul when Pearce won the ball fairly. To blame Rice would be harsh. The kick went straight through the wall, it was hit with such menace, and there was little Rice could do to halt it's fierce trajectory into the new yellow and blue striped net. It was harsh on Pearce who was playing at something more like his best and there was a moment of defensive magic from him in the first half, when he was stricken on the ground as Hughes approached with the ball and yet, somehow, he launched a perfect tackle from his position on the ground, to win the ball firmly and fairly. Superb defending.

I was still busy texting someone about the free-kick when they equalised and I didn't even see their 3rd goal but at that point, only one team looked likely to win it and they were playing some good football before the game swung back towards us at the end with a few chances going begging and their keeper pulling off some decent saves.

A thrilling match, I should think, for any neutral. 6 goals, two teams playing some nice football. A good advert for football at this level but just so frustrating because I thought 3-1 was enough and that, at that point, we may have gone on to get 4 or 5 but in the end I was happy to take the point.
Last edited by hector on 15 Nov 2014, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Not at fault for any of the goals?!? Megalolz. The ball traveled 40 yards for the first goal, landed 6 yards out and Rice never moved. It was his ball all the way. The hilarious thing is that 5 minutes later, he called for a ball 35 yards out with Downes in attendance.

We'd be top if we had FGR's goalie and he was hardly special.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"