FA Trophy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Would you like Torquay United to take the FA Trophy seriously?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 40

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I would like us to take every game we play seriously, but in reality we have to be sensible and plan our games properly.

If, for example, we were fighting at the top of the league for automatic promotion and also heading towards the latter stages of the trophy and had a few injuries, I would much rather we concentrated on our league campaign, than on the trophy.

That said, we can do with the money and so, as long as we are sensible, yes I would like us to take this seriously.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Gullscorer wrote: That wasn't a pun, that was an error, a misspelling, which can happen to the best of us (myself apart).

A pun is the use of a word or phrase to exploit an ambiguity or innuendo in the meaning, usually for humorous effect, i.e. a play on words, whereas a misspelling often used to record the minutes at our bored meetings..

A good example is: ' Ben Battle was a soldier bold, and used to war's alarms; But a cannon ball took off his legs, so he laid down his arms.'
Just to keep Matt happy. and blame him cos it would have gone unnoticed if he hadn't brought it up.
Dear SIRLOIN
I have the utmost pleasure in Including within this pile of DIATRIPE. as small morsell of puns to whet the appetite. Please feel free to add to or delete as you please.
I have no doubt that most fans would want to see us on the TOPSIDE of the conference but Many of us believe the relative merits of the cup competitions. and silverware in the trophy cupboard is non existent at the moment. i doubt we even have any silver STEAK knives.
I like all forms of competition and love to see our players go all out to beat the opposition. Watching Achie T BONE his marker is for me a highlight. If we win them all and Exeter go down it will be one in the RIBEYE of Excretia supporters everywhere. as long as Ricey doesn't do another of his kicks right up the RUMP of our opponent.
Of course i suppose you all have a BEEF about these sorts of posts. but I feel it does lighten the mood a bit. But I feel the need to FILLET this piece as I come round the Flank and approach the subject from another angle lest i be accused of SKIRTing the subject.
Please do not fire any FLATIRONS at me. blame MATT. You can kick him in the TENDERLOINS.

Oh i did enjoy. that. now back on topic as I am led off like a LAMB to slaughter.

But of course you knew that already.. ;-)
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

From last Wembley appearance in 2008 only remaining squad players are Rice and Benyon + Hargreaves
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

lexusguy wrote:From last Wembley appearance in 2008 only remaining squad players are Rice and Benyon + Hargreaves
I believe our last Wembley appearance was in 2009 when we won promotion from the Conference. I presume that's the game you are referring to?
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

By the time this final comes around. That will be7 years. I find it amazing that anyone is still around in any sort of playing capacity, given that most players never stay that long at any club. Ch was player then. but he isn't now so i don't count him. Ricey never played much then, He may play now. Benyon. was the only one in the team to play and he may not feature this season. You never know though. Ch was apparently signed on as Player Coach then. but we all know how accurate Wiki is.
Interestlingly enough. Out of the teams in the conference that year. we are the only team to have tasted league action and then come back down. Out of the teams that year 8 have been in the league and 7 are still there.
11 of the teams have since been relegated and 2 dont even exist any more. and some of those relegated are not in the conference.

lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

Oops that's it
but I see it was the same players in the 2008 Ebbsfleet game
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Gulliball wrote:Burger off.
:clap:
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Of course we should take it seriously, it's an official competition and we'd all love a chance to win a trophy.

It hopefully shouldn't cost us too much in the league though, as let's not forget we got promoted the same year we made it to the final, albeit with a larger squad.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

MidDevon wrote:It is a shame, IMO, how ex-football league teams in the conference have de-valued the FA Trophy. It used to be a massive event in the non league calender, but now most of the top 10 conference teams will play weakened sides.

I remember when, before the days of automatic promotion to the Conference, this was a big tournament with high crowds. The finalist's not only getting a chance to play at Wembley, but also won a bye to the 1st Round Proper of the FA CUP the next season.
Not sure I can agree with that, the last four F.A trophy finals have been won by ex-league clubs, with Mansfield, Newport and Grimsby runners up in three of them, of the previous fours finals TUFC, York and Kidderminster were runners up, all as ex-league clubs , Ex-league clubs may have devalued it in the past, as Colchester are the only other club to win it, in their brief stay in the conference , but evidence suggests most ex-league clubs do take it seriously now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

yellowforever wrote:
It hopefully shouldn't cost us too much in the league though, as let's not forget we got promoted the same year we made it to the final, albeit with a larger squad.
Erm. Sorry.

We got to the trophy final the year we lost to Exeter in the play off semi final.
KingsteigntonYellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by KingsteigntonYellow »

I'd like a cup run, FA Cup or trophy. Our recent showings have been pretty depressing in the knockout tournaments. Its also a cheaper day out typically as opposed to league games.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

ferrarilover wrote: :clap:

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

The one question you need to ask yourself, Would you like to watch Torquay play at wembley next May? If no, then I guess you need to .....
Lucy
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Glostergull wrote:By the time this final comes around. That will be7 years. I find it amazing that anyone is still around in any sort of playing capacity, given that most players never stay that long at any club. Ch was player then. but he isn't now so i don't count him. Ricey never played much then, He may play now. Benyon. was the only one in the team to play and he may not feature this season. You never know though. Ch was apparently signed on as Player Coach then. but we all know how accurate Wiki is.
Interestlingly enough. Out of the teams in the conference that year. we are the only team to have tasted league action and then come back down. Out of the teams that year 8 have been in the league and 7 are still there.
11 of the teams have since been relegated and 2 dont even exist any more. and some of those relegated are not in the conference.
Rice played that final. He saved mcphee's penalty then conceded the rebound...i think
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

gurneygibbs23 wrote: Rice played that final. He saved mcphee's penalty then conceded the rebound...i think
I think Glos was talking about the last time we were at Wembley, which was in the play off final and in which Michael Poke most definately played.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com