Best goals seen at PLAINMOOR

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

Chris B wrote: A brilliant goal made all the more memorable for the fact the ball looped to Stevens on the edge of the box directly after another player, I think it was Ben Pringle, had struck powerfully against the crossbar.
It was Ben Pringle.
We'll be back...
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Trevor Shepherd 1968.

On loan from Argyle, not sure but think it was on his debut??
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Trevor Shepherd - now you're talking! With Robin alongside him we had arguably the best forward line ever (with Ronnie Barnes). I would have liked to have seen Tommy Northcott in that line-up but, foolishly, he was released in 1966.
lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

One that sticks for me was by Dave Tearse in the mid 70s down the Warbro Road end
Ian Twitchen bombed down the right wing hammered a cross in which was met by Tearse about the penalty spot and rocketed past the goalie
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I know I'm heading back into time (the year England won the World Cup 1966) when John Bond (West Ham) joined us. Renown for his ability as a goal-scoring right-back he did not disappoint. He was referred to as 'Muffin' because of his ability to kick like a mule and did not disappoint scoring 12 cracking goals from distance that helped Torquay to promotion at the end of his first season.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I remember a lad called Paul Hirons scoring a cracking goal against West Ham in a Cup match. It's all rather hazy but I think it was the F.A. Cup and I'm fairly sure we won. Wivel has the memory of an elephant so I'm sure he'll help me out. :-D As for Paul Hirons - looked to have lots of potential but disappeared into oblivion.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Tomogull - West Ham did not like being at the seaside in January 1990, when in the 77th minute a goal from teenage substitute Paul Hirons proved to be enough for Torquay (L4) to claim a famous scalp in the third round of the FA Cup.

Apparently became disillusioned with the game and now spend his time working with CHICKENS - not Gulls. Click link for more info on his career:
http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/hi ... story.html
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

[quote="MellowYellow"]Tomogull - West Ham did not like being at the seaside in January 1990, when in the 77th minute a goal from teenage substitute Paul Hirons proved to be enough for Torquay (L4) to claim a famous scalp in the third round of the FA Cup.

Apparently became disillusioned with the game and now spend his time working with CHICKENS - not Gulls. Click link for more info on his career:
http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/hi ... html/quote

Cheers M.Y. Gawd - 24 years ago - doesn't seem that long ! Interesting that he went on to play for Cheltenham (when they were still a non-league side) and Lindsay Parsons was their manager. Another name from the past. So Hirons is now a chicken farmer, then. There must be a pun there somewhere ...... other than fowl play !!!! :Z
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Will always be this one for me...

[youtube]xAQyhEFFOag[/youtube]
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest