Pearce, Downes or MacDonald

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Who should play at centre back vs Grimsby?

Pearce and Downes
20%
Pearce and MacDonald
32%
Downes and MacDonald
45%
Other
2%

Total votes: 44

Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Pearce, Downes or MacDonald

Post by Gulliball »

Angus MacDonald will miss the Alfreton game next Saturday after picking up his fifth yellow today. That will also be the third and final game that Downes misses after his red card vs Telford.

The first question is who will play with Pearce next weekend. Hutchings, Cruise or a loanee are the obvious choices - probably Hutchings as a loanee is unlikely for one game and Cruise moving over affects two positions as Ives would have to come in too.

It also raises the issue of who will play the week after, at home to Grimsby. Usually the man in possession of the shirt keeps it, but now we will have Downes and MacDonald returning on the same matchday.

With all fit and available, that leaves two from three, so who misses out? Downes and MacDonald had a good record before the suspensions, but Pearce is our reigning player of the season and the man currently in possession of a shirt, so it is more likely to be him plus one other. Personally I would say Pearce and Downes - which would be a real challenge for MacDonald to get back into the team. His last minute stupidity today might cost him a lot, as well as being a very lucky break for Downes who faced the same prospect when he got sent off and let Pearce back into the team.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

You pose good questions there. For me, one game as you say probably rules out a loan player, next week my view is keep it balanced, if Hutchings is, in the main a centre back play him, if not then move Cruise over and play Ives at LB, but try if possible to keep the back 4 balanced.

Further on from there it becomes a selection dilemma for CH, MacDonald has played well, Pearce today at times looked rusty, but then hasn't had game time, and that will come with games, Downes to be fair, also has played well and weighed in with some important goals, and does give that threat from set pieces.

For me MacDonald has barely put a foot wrong all season and should stay in the team after his ban. and time to go give Pearce a run.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Big Mac was robbed of the shirt today. Did nothing to deserve his booking. That we had one booked to time wasting today was miles beyond a joke when Wrexham's keeper was doing just that after about 90 seconds. For me, he's still in possession of it, so should keep it.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Downes was not one of my favourites last season but this season he's been outstanding and McDonald has been even better.
The fullback positions are our weakness and if the side could be improved by moving a player it should be done.
Remember the best left back in the club has only played one game this season. :keepie:
What we should be saying is have we missed Downes I would say yes that does not mean Pearce does not deserve the shirt when everyone is available. Downes has been commanding this season today McDonald was and Pearce just behind him.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I voted 'other' only because it is too early to say. For me it will depend on the Alfreton game.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote:Big Mac was robbed of the shirt today. Did nothing to deserve his booking. That we had one booked to time wasting today was miles beyond a joke when Wrexham's keeper was doing just that after about 90 seconds. For me, he's still in possession of it, so should keep it. Matt.
Nailed on booking for me. Angus kicked the ball away not once, but twice. Very, very silly and he knows it. On the central defenders question, for me it is Downes and Mcdonald. Even allowing for Pearce's lack of games, I think the Downes/McDonald partnership has looked better. Downes is having a good season, apart from his silly sending off last week, and deserves to keep his place.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I didn't vote for either/or, I'm "and" inclusive, being a playing(back in the day) participant of the 5-3-2 (3-5-2) formation.So for me, it's Pearce, Downes and MacDonald.

Some other trios of interest :
Cole, Impey, Lloyd
Starkey, Knight & Ford
Hill, Palmer & Edwards
Stock, Aitken, Waterman . . . . . .

;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Trojan 67 wrote:I didn't vote for either/or, I'm "and" inclusive, being a playing(back in the day) participant of the 5-3-2 (3-5-2) formation.So for me, it's Pearce, Downes and MacDonald.

Some other trios of interest :
Cole, Impey, Lloyd
Starkey, Knight & Ford
Hill, Palmer & Edwards
Stock, Aitken, Waterman . . . . . .

;-)
Ah you missed a couple.
Burgess Philby and McLean
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Athos Porthos and Aremis
Huey louis and dewey
Barry Robin and Maurice
Chico, Harpo, Groucho. oh thats trojan Bruce and Wivel
mo. Larry and curly
and finaly.
The Good. that bad and the ugly
Oh no thats definatly trojan a co. :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

tomogull wrote: Nailed on booking for me. Angus kicked the ball away not once, but twice. Very, very silly and he knows it. On the central defenders question, for me it is Downes and Mcdonald. Even allowing for Pearce's lack of games, I think the Downes/McDonald partnership has looked better. Downes is having a good season, apart from his silly sending off last week, and deserves to keep his place.
I wouldn't mind if he had kicked it away, but he didn't, he had it kicked at him and it just happened to bounce off his shin.

You know those times when a free kick is awarded and, within fractions of a second, some wily old pro has whalloped the ball against the nearest opponent, who has had absolutely no opportunity to retreat, and the referee books him for that failure? This was just like that. The free kick was awarded to us and their bloke punted the ball straight at Mac (the Wrexham man was only trying to return it to us), it hit his shin and rolled away. Superman himself wouldn't have been able to move in time to avoid the same fate. Crazy decision.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

I didn't think Pearce looked as confident or as imposing yesterday against Wrexham as he did in the struggling team last season.

Put it down to lack of match sharpness??
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes obviously - give the bloke a chance, there is no substitute for playing games. I don't know who Hutchings is but I wouldn't be playing him next week. Cruise allegedly is a centre half and although he doesn't look any good there he will actually be marking Hawley who lets face it will spend ninety minutes with his back to goal.
The obvious choice to me would be to switch Cruise to centre back and play Ives at left back.
It is a big worry and far from ideal as Pearce lacks match practice and Cruise doesn't inspire confidence.
However elsewhere we are falling over ourselves with options going forward.
We should cheerfully be able to outscore the opposition even if concede a couple.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

brucie wrote:Yes obviously - give the bloke a chance, there is no substitute for playing games. I don't know who Hutchings is but I wouldn't be playing him next week. Cruise allegedly is a centre half and although he doesn't look any good there he will actually be marking Hawley who lets face it will spend ninety minutes with his back to goal.
The obvious choice to me would be to switch Cruise to centre back and play Ives at left back.
It is a big worry and far from ideal as Pearce lacks match practice and Cruise doesn't inspire confidence.
However elsewhere we are falling over ourselves with options going forward.
We should cheerfully be able to outscore the opposition even if concede a couple.
So because you don't know who he is you wouldn't play Hutchings, come on Terence I thought you were better than that he's a centre half for gods sake. By he's own admission cruise is not a centre back and hates heading the ball but you would rather play someone out of position than give a younger player a chance. If Hargreaves thought that way Levi Ives wouldn't have been given an opportunity at left back as he would have played Niall Thomson there instead.
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

I'd stick Harding at the back, only one game, no need for a loanee. Can we all remember that KARL HAWLEY leads the line for Alfreton.
We'll be back...
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Cruise says that he can play anywhere in the back four,played as a centre half before he came here and has more experience than Hutchings so I would go for him.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Whether we play Hutchings at centre back or Ives at left back, we will have one inexperienced player in defence.

As much as I hate the billy big bollocks attitude I'm about to display, at least we have an inexperienced back four for a game against Alfreton, rather than against the likes of Bristol Rovers etc.
Obviously I mean them no disrespect, but a full time club that last season was playing in league two, should be beating teams like this with one of two "weaker" players in there.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com