Torquay United v Woking - Tuesday 16th September - 7.45pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

Does his booking mean Young is suspended for Saturdays game ?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

It will appear here if he is, probably tomorrow:

http://nav.thefa.com/sitecore/content/T ... 9199B&_z=z

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

According to soccerbase, last night was Youngs 4th booking, so should be fine for Saturday. Hope he doesn't pick up another one before Forest Green, as looking forward to seeing him play.
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

Nothing showing on that site at present although it does say the list gets updated after they receive the Referee's report. There are no players at all showing on the One Game away list so I imagine that's not up to date.I assume the reports are done electronically these days in which case it may be updated later today.

I imagine a suspension will kick in for Saturday and believe it's one match but if not Saturday then the following week at Telford. No disrespect to either side as I'm sure both will give us a game but if you had to choose a game for Young to miss, Dover at home or Telford away wouldn't be far off the top of that list.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

not a great match but woking stopped us from playing, they are at the top for a reason, but we dug in kept our nerve and got the bit of luck we needed, it was a free kick from where we were stood so dont think they can have any complaints, a great strike from luke. bad luck woking im sure you will be up there at the end of the season, well organised team.
as for the crowd the 2nd half plainmoor was rocking, it has been a long time coming, let keep it up and lets hope the missing fans will start to come back and support ch and the players, they dont know what they are missing. :scarf:
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I agree with Brucie, not an awful game. My first of the season and I enjoyed the pace and energy in contrast to last year. It was clear that not everything we tried came off. Woking were good, not over ambitious but what they did they did well, in the first half and again in a little spell at around 80 minutes.
Big Duane is a work in progress, needs to read the game and learn to head but I like him because he is big, strong and quick and every now and then does something of quality; one excellent cross along the ground in the second half. Bowman was giving him plenty of instruction. Ajala reminds me of Stirling when he broke into the Liverpool side, quality obvious but not enough end product. But look at Stirling now. That said his work rate and effort is fantastic. Downes was great when he was doing what he wanted in position, he didn't look so good when he needed to recover or react. However, a good partnership will mitigate that to an extent.
And that free kick...It felt great to be at Plainmoor when it erupted.
TUST number 080
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Well done to the fans last night. The yellow army got really loud in the second half and it felt amazing. I'm sure the players must have loved it too. Youngy's goal is on action replay in my head. I've probably wildly exaggerated by now, but OMG it was brilliant and the celebrations from the players and fans were unforgettable!!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Great night to be at the Launa Win ....... nah, Plainmoor last night. Anyone who thinks it was a poor game doesn't know much about football. The only poor aspect of last night was the bliddy ref. Okay in the first half but made some crazy decisions in the second half. These were two evenly matched sides and both teams played some good football at times. We didn't look as if we were playing as well as we have done 'cos Woking didn't allow us as much time on the ball as, say, Nuneaton. Likewise, Woking weren't at their best cos we didn't allow them any time on the ball. Both defences were very well organised and played well. I suspect those who say it was a poor game would have said it was a great game if it had finished 4 - 3. I know we go to see goals - Luke Young's strike last night was a classic - but sometimes you have to give credit to the defences and the 'keepers for keeping goals out.

Why was Luke Young booked? Was it for time wasting when taking the corner? If it is his fifth booking (and I think it is). perhaps the Dover match isn't a bad game for him to sit out rather than, say, Forest Green in a couple of weeks time.
lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

I think Young was booked for a tackle by the Pop side
Ref played advantage to Woking and then booked him later
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

lexusguy wrote:I think Young was booked for a tackle by the Pop side
Ref played advantage to Woking and then booked him later
Ah ..... missed that. Ta Lexus. :-D
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I woul'd like to see the goal again. I was right in line with the free kick - I said at the time that we seemed to be taking an age to take the free kick. I couldn't see anything on really because the free kick was slap bang in the centre of the pitch. I was expecting him to cross it as all our players were to the left of the goal.
Wonder if that was deliberate to keep the goal clear for the shot. I am not sure why it went in - did it bounce in front of the keeper or what.
The keeper didn't seem to get anywhere near it.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I think last night was probably the worst performance in terms of attacking play that we've made this season that I've seen, and yet we've still beaten the team then second in the table.

Passing was sloppy - Bowman was rightfully annoyed with his lack of quality service, something we've normally not been short on so far this season. Defence however was again strong. Downes and MacDonald are very solid along with Cruise too, but special mention must go out to Tonge who actually was my man of the match.

Young's free kick was brilliant; keeper out of position and anticipating a flicked cross, only for Luke to nail it the other side. It's the sort of thing that not many midfielders can do - certainly not at this level, or indeed in Torquay colours. O'Kane was our last and perhaps Russell was the one before him to possess that kind of quality, and I see no reason why he can't emulate both of those in terms of career trajectory.

I spoke to a Woking fan afterwards and also had a look at their board this morning. They all seem to think that a 0-0 was a fairer result; were they watching the same game I was? It was fairly even first half but we definitely were the better team in the second.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:I woul'd like to see the goal again. I was right in line with the free kick - I said at the time that we seemed to be taking an age to take the free kick. I couldn't see anything on really because the free kick was slap bang in the centre of the pitch. I was expecting him to cross it as all our players were to the left of the goal.
Wonder if that was deliberate to keep the goal clear for the shot. I am not sure why it went in - did it bounce in front of the keeper or what.
The keeper didn't seem to get anywhere near it.
Brucie - I think like you and most of us, the Woking defence and 'keeper were expecting a cross as all the players were bunched to the left of the goal as you say. I was on the Pop side and Young's free kick was kept low, just inside of the post. Maybe their keeper was unsighted because before he moved, the ball was going past him. Whether it was something the team had practised or whether it was simply Young's opportunism, I don't know. But it worked a treat !

Yellowforever - disagree that it was United's worse match attacking-wise. You have to give credit to the Woking defence which was very solid all night. Our forwards didn't have the space they were allowed by the likes of Welling and Nuneaton. O'Achie and Bowman were kept well in check all night. As for Bowman getting frustrated, I felt he could have chased down a few balls which he didn't bother with. I have to say that I wasn't over impressed with him last night.
eastmoorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Stubbs

Post by eastmoorgull »

No way was he 100% fit; only 2 days after that crunch he got on Saturday?; hopefully 4 days will see him back to his old self. Full of admiration for our new team but it shows the gap between O'Achie and Bowman and the non starters. Pearce up there would make more of an sub impact than B,Y or S.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The difference between last night and the other matches this season was (almost exclusively) the quality of the opposition. If we're honest, the teams we've played so far have been crap. All of them have been dreadful. Woking were bloody good. If we play exactly the same against Dover, we'll win about 5-0 because Dover won't have a keeper who comes to get the cross that Ajala put in. They won't have a CB who intercepted at least two balls which would have sent Duane away 1-on-1. They won't retain the ball as well as Woking did. They won't carry a constant and pacy attacking threat.

Having now seen us play 10 sides, 8 of which were comfortably inferior to us in all departments and one of which relied heavily on their now departed striker, we needn't be worried about anyone else in the division.

I reckon this team would beat the 2007 side.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"