Torquay United v Aldershot Town – Monday 25th August 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

He's quite quiet as a captain I think. However, sometimes it's better to have someone who has a few short influential words that's respected as opposed to someone who's constantly shouting at the team.
gillygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by gillygull »

Are there any highlights anywhere? I signed up for Gullsplayer again and am wondering what I am getting for doing so as there are no highlights posted on it!!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Tend to agree with Brucie's sentiments on this, the defence had gone 3 games + 16 minutes with out conceding , for a start why change it, and then why single out Cruise. If the manager has a look at it, makes the decision to leave well alone because we haven't been conceding, fair enough, but if your then going to bring Ives in to the team why not go the whole hog and remodel the back 4, put Pearce in next to Downes and MacDonald out to right back, after all he spent much of last season playing there at Salisbury.

But then how fair would that have been, Downes had a good game v Southport home, was outstanding yesterday, MacDonald hasn't really done a lot wrong, and Tonge credit where it's due has looked pretty decent last home games as well, so again it leads back to, why single out Cruise.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

RussianGull wrote:When I saw the final result I groaned, another draw how dull. Having read the comments on here from those of you who attended the game I feel a little more confident going into the game against Lincoln on Saturday, a game which I will be attending.

Ives sounds a decent prospect and sounds like he could give Cruise a run for his money at left back. I'm glad to read Downes turned his abysmal display against Dartford into a head and shoulders above the rest performance against Aldershot. I am a little bit worried about our lack of goal scoring, though Bowman missing 3 games isn't ideal, Yeoman I think could score goals - more so than Benyon. Is O'Achie any good?
No - it wasn't a dull game RG. There are several good reports of the match on this thread, particularly Swanny (way back on p.4 or 5) and Richinns. It was an entertaining game with some good football played by both sides, but also, as Richinns says, some not so good, especially in the second half. There are several promising young players in this team who I think will become really good players as the season progresses. O'Achie is quite quick for a big lad and chased down several lost causes yesterday and got two or three good shots on target. He's still very much 'work in progress' but I think he could develop into a really good striker with the right coaching. It will be interesting what you think of him next Saturday - I reckon it could be a good game at Sincil Bank. :scarf:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:Tend to agree with Brucie's sentiments on this, the defence had gone 3 games + 16 minutes with out conceding , for a start why change it, and then why single out Cruise. If the manager has a look at it, makes the decision to leave well alone because we haven't been conceding, fair enough, but if your then going to bring Ives in to the team why not go the whole hog and remodel the back 4, put Pearce in next to Downes and MacDonald out to right back, after all he spent much of last season playing there at Salisbury.

But then how fair would that have been, Downes had a good game v Southport home, was outstanding yesterday, MacDonald hasn't really done a lot wrong, and Tonge credit where it's due has looked pretty decent last home games as well, so again it leads back to, why single out Cruise.
I had assumed that because Cruise wasn't even on the bench, he had picked up a knock at Dartford or a sickness 'bug'. Bruice says this was not so, so in that case it was a puzzling decision to leave him out against supposedly one of the stronger teams in the league and not have any full back cover on the bench. Young Levi had a very good debut game but the Shots winger was not in the same class as some of those Cruise has had to face (The Welling winger for example was their best player). Understandably, Ives looked stretched a couple of times towards the end of the match when N'Guesson came on so it was a strange decision not to at least have Cruise in the squad.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agree Tommo, all I'm sort of saying on the Ives thread, in way, why put ourselves in a position where by CH isn't rushing Pearce back into the starting line, and rightfully so , despite Pearce' obvious quality possibly down to no goals conceded, yet out of the blue fast tracks Ives in for Cruise, from that same un breached defence.
lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

On the subject of Rice's kicking
Accuracy and direction can only come from practice and concentration
but as for distance, why does he always kick from the edge of the area, surely once he has assessed wind conditions etc he might be better kicking from the goal area which may reduce the ball going straight through to opposition goalie
mike86
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by mike86 »

Just watched the Highlights on Youtube. Chappell looked like a decent player great pace and put in a couple of decent crosses one of which in first half to back post surely o'achie should have gone with his head instead of trying a side foot volley? also on ives for the equaliser isn't it just a case of inexperience initially going with wrong man instead of sticking with wide man, then changing his mind on who to follow and getting tangled in a tussle in process. looks like clever play to block his run by the Aldershot attacker rather than a foul. only my opinion though.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

mike86 wrote:Just watched the Highlights on Youtube. on ives for the equaliser isn't it just a case of inexperience initially going with wrong man instead of sticking with wide man, then changing his mind on who to follow and getting tangled in a tussle in process. looks like clever play to block his run by the Aldershot attacker rather than a foul. only my opinion though.
Mike - that's exactly how I saw it on Saturday although I was not close to the action. Simply lack of experience and know-how. Nevertheless, a very promising debut but as posted elsewhere, I don't think he should have been expected to play the full 90 minutes in his first match. Maybe lack of experience from CH?
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

To be fair, after looking at it I think blaming Levi Ives for the goal is a bit harsh. He was caught in a difficult position, a 2 on 1 with no support, he was blocked off and the goal went in a little bit soft.

The lad is 17, making his debut, many have been saying how crap Cruise is and he should be dropped for Ives, Hargreaves does it and all many do is castigate Ives for 1 goal which wasnt really his fault. How many goals or crosses from down our left have Nicholson or Cruise been at fault for after being skinned by a winger in the last few seasons? Many seem to forget quickly.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Agreed - it looks like an American football style block on him, that continues as he tries to get around him and put in a tackle/block on the shooter. Worthy of a free kick in my opinion.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Wanted to see the video, now have, to be fair, that is not a foul on Ives, the Aldershot player is already goal side and stands his ground as he's entitled to do. Also to be fair no real blame can be attached to Ives either, gets himself in bad position, but it's a good goal from Aldershot, and not a lot the lad could have done full stop.

As for castigating Ives for that goal, absolutely no one has done that, some, myself included questioned CH's decision to play him, whether it was to early or the right opposition to play him against, a fair comment from any fan of any club in the same situation, that's not castigating Ives.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Decision could have gone either way, wouldn't expect the Shot's forward to usher Ives into a tackling position. Good finish. If we had taken one of our chances it wouldn't have mattered.

However, based on the highlights, we looked quite bright, others have noted individual performances. If O'Achie gets a goal it will do wonders for his confidence. Needs to be soon though.
TUST number 080
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

forevertufc wrote:Wanted to see the video, now have, to be fair, that is not a foul on Ives, the Aldershot player is already goal side and stands his ground as he's entitled to do. Also to be fair no real blame can be attached to Ives either, gets himself in bad position, but it's a good goal from Aldershot, and not a lot the lad could have done full stop.

As for castigating Ives for that goal, absolutely no one has done that, some, myself included questioned CH's decision to play him, whether it was to early or the right opposition to play him against, a fair comment from any fan of any club in the same situation, that's not castigating Ives.
Really? I was in the Bench and you could clearly see the number 10 had hold of his shirt for several seconds therfore holding him off from challenging the guy on the ball. watching the highlights makes you question why MacDonald did not go over and try to make a challenge? Seems to be marking space rather than dealing with the danger?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

My thoughts, based purely on that clip from one angle, is that Ives is out of position, because Downes is out of position. He had to tuck in to cover, and then got caught out of place. The original block is not a foul, he is pulled back after. It was a foul, but one that is rarely given.