What kind of performance do you expect??

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

What kind of performance do you expect??

Post by SBP »

One game in and Iam already fed up with not only losing but apparently according to the commentary " Not performing" or any other of the terms used to describe a poor performance or not competing.
How come we cannot compete against Gateshead, I dont care if they made the play offs or they have spent money. Why are we unable to compete??
If Gatehead were that good on the ball why didnt we play an extra man in midfield. All i could hear was that Cruise is being over run. This was happening time and time again last season.

Over to you. What kind of performance do you expect??
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

What I expect is a fan base which supports the club not one which decides after one game that it is all wrong and the manger/players/tactics are all useless.

Seriously - after one game this is embarrassing and shameful. Do you not think this filters down into the dressing room having an impact on morale and form?

Pathetic.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

it's not after one game though for the likes of Tonge, Downes, Cruise, Harding, Benyon though is it? It's over 12-18months of being consistently crap so it's hard to see how they will suddenly flick a switch and we'll start winning with the likes of the above continually involved.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

You may think its pathetic, however i do not like losing games in the manner that we do. This is not just based on one game its based on last season also.
That is why Iam asking the question? I am not saying sack the manager. I am hacked off with our last 25 performances
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Then perhaps a little more understanding is needed as to why we are not winning. CH has little choice if he can't move these big earners on. Cruise may be a mistake but he has hardly nailed him to the club like Knill did with the 4 players who remain to underachieve. If these 4 take up say 40% of the budget (and Hawley taking this to 50%) then he has little choice but to utilise them until the he can get rid and bring others in.

I know this is depressing but it is a sad truth and the toy throwing is not going to change it.

That said - I will give it 10 games before I write this squad and season off.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Richins I am not writing the squad off, I am not calling for the manager head. I am asking what kind of performance do you expect?? Why are we rolling over so easy?? Why did CH select the team he did? Why are we unable to not concede- especially from set pieces??
I want us to start to become harder to break down, tighter at the back etc etc. All i heard on saturday was that Cruise is being overun!! Our fullbacks were being over run all of last season!! So why after experiencing that for most of that last season we go away from home against a so called good footballing side and DONT protect our full backs.
This is not a tantrum based post, i expect more than this from our team.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I have a few concerns after the Gateshead game but am prepared to give Greavsie and the players the benefit of the doubt and continue supporting them. We will see come 5pm on Saturday just how good or bad things are.
I really don't see the point in berating the players and staff after just one game. Most people seemed quite happy with the signings and pre-season performances, don't let one result wipe the smiles away, especially given the mitigating circumstances (9 hour hour coach journey and the best team from least years Conference (that wan't promoted)).
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

SBP wrote:Richins I am not writing the squad off, I am not calling for the manager head. I am asking what kind of performance do you expect?? Why are we rolling over so easy?? Why did CH select the team he did? Why are we unable to not concede- especially from set pieces??
I want us to start to become harder to break down, tighter at the back etc etc. All i heard on saturday was that Cruise is being overun!! Our fullbacks were being over run all of last season!! So why after experiencing that for most of that last season we go away from home against a so called good footballing side and DONT protect our full backs.
This is not a tantrum based post, i expect more than this from our team.
I understand what you're saying SBP but I think we're all going to have to show a bit of patience this season. As Richins has posted, Hargreaves is lumbered with six players on the transfer list and whilst they remain at the club (or suddenly show a bit of determination to become part of Hargreaves plan), he is restricted in what he can do. I think he is turning things around by bringing in promising young players but they mostly haven't got match experience, even at Conference level. Hopefully they will develop during the season and we will be better equipped to challenge for the top next season. This is a make or break season for Yeoman and Sullivan. They both have to prove that they're good enough to play at this level.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

in response to the OP, not a sh1t one??? :)

i did say that we would be relegated when CH was announced as manager last season..............

however, I am willing to give him a chance this season, especially with the in's and out's and of course the non-movers who he wanted to get rid of.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Pea
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dale Tonge

Post by Pea »

You're apportioning credit (or blame) where none is due. We were relegated in spite of Jesus, not because of him.
Pea.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Get exactly what SBP is saying here, fair thread. For a start some of our transfer listed players are not on the list because CH doesn't like them, or think they're not up to the standard, they're on the list because of their wages being to high, to simply dismiss these players as being shit is wide of the mark, and anyone can do that. Why did Torquay lose Saturday, cause we we're shit, see.

In answer to SBP, I've used the word mentality a few times over the weekend, and it's true, mentality plays a massive part in team/individual sports, and from listening to the game, watching those brief highlights and reading match reports (agreed there is a time for an extra midfielder and Saturday was probably it) but it also seems if the team has allowed Gateshead to beat on them some what as well.

Just because we've gone down a league, doesn't mean I/we should expect to steamroller teams, win all our games, and dominate possession in our games, that isn't going to happen, we have to pay due respect to all the teams in this league, none will give us an easy ride.

What sort of performance do I want to see. with out the ball I want to see the team competing and working to get it back, with the ball I want to see us constantly asking questions of the opposition team, and looking like we've got a goal or two in us, if we're doing that, come win, draw or defeat they'll get a round of applause from me, and due credit.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Pea
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Pea »

forevertufc wrote:Get exactly what SBP is saying here, fair thread. For a start some of our transfer listed players are not on the list because CH doesn't like them, or think they're not up to the standard, they're on the list because of their wages being to high, to simply dismiss these players as being sh*t is wide of the mark, and anyone can do that. Why did Torquay lose Saturday, cause we we're sh*t, see.

In answer to SBP, I've used the word mentality a few times over the weekend, and it's true, mentality plays a massive part in team/individual sports, and from listening to the game, watching those brief highlights and reading match reports (agreed there is a time for an extra midfielder and Saturday was probably it) but it also seems if the team has allowed Gateshead to beat on them some what as well.

Just because we've gone down a league, doesn't mean I/we should expect to steamroller teams, win all our games, and dominate possession in our games, that isn't going to happen, we have to pay due respect to all the teams in this league, none will give us an easy ride.

What sort of performance do I want to see. with out the ball I want to see the team competing and working to get it back, with the ball I want to see us constantly asking questions of the opposition team, and looking like we've got a goal or two in us, if we're doing that, come win, draw or defeat they'll get a round of applause from me, and due credit.
A grown up has arrived. Thank ****.
Pea.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

What sort of performance do I want to see. with out the ball I want to see the team competing and working to get it back, with the ball I want to see us constantly asking questions of the opposition team, and looking like we've got a goal or two in us, if we're doing that, come win, draw or defeat they'll get a round of applause from me, and due credit.[/quote]

same here. plenty of time yet FGS
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

SPB is dead right 3-0 down to Gateshead was indeed pathetic. It could and should have been half a dozen. The listed players are there because they are not good enough. Tell me which of these players are any good.
These players were playing in the football league - with all due respect Gatehead are a lower standard team than we were facing last year.
But the errors are just the same - christ we cannot score from the penalty spot.
Richinns is talking nonsense - if the discontent filters down to the players then so what - do they expect a pat on the back or what?
Ok we were relegated last season - thats been and gone but the supporters are entitled and deserve better than a first game capitulation akin to saturdays. Making out that Gateshead were something special is equally nonsensical.
If the players egos are bruised after saturday they had better pucker up and brace hard - because if they don't beat Welling tomorrow night I think for a few supporters its going to be the final straw....
Pea
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Pea »

I know you only do it for the megalolz rolfcopter bantersaurus rex, but surely you've got to be bored with writing the same post over and over and over and over and over and over again?
Pea.