The Gulls v Gateshead (away) 9 August 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thats great to hear - I am pleased that the team apllauded you at the end. Thats why everyone loves playing us - generous to a fault, gift the opposition the points. Personally I would have been been happier if you had come on and said that Torquay were a bunch of time wasting,fouling ,cheating aresholes (if we had got a result that is). Looking at the highlights it deemed that we treated the game like a pre season friendly.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Well for the first time in 6months+ I'm able to login to this site via a computer, God knows what's been happening but whenever i've tried previously it's refreshed and never logged me in, hey ho we're here now!

Saturday was all a bit obvious wasn't it? Maybe it's hammered home just how crap we are and how our new signings maybe actually aren't that good? Can't write anything off after 1 measly game and it was always going to be a tough one against a Gateshead side you'd expect to be in the top 5, however if we are wishing to compete on that level then on the evidence of those who saw, plus the commentary and highlights I've seen then we are MILES away.

It was all so predictable as well, start ok, miss a sitter, concede, lose. It's what we did all of last season, nothings changed and like others the moment I heard our side we were doomed. Not like we can field much else though unfortunately, it's impossible for us to achieve anything with that back 4 literally impossible. I wouldn't have 3 of them at Didcot Town, for part of that I can't blame Hargreaves but what on Earth inspired or convinced him to offer Cruise a deal is mind boggling. I would sooner have kept Nicholson, Cruise is one of the very worst players I have ever seen for us, he has absolutely no stand out qualities, is a liability of a defender with no pace or positional sense. with him on one side and Tonge the other, I bet every winger in the league can't wait to play us, no surprise to see theirs rip us to pieces.

I see elsewhere in this thread we're questioning why our 'best player' isn't playing because of a few pre season games, rightly shot down by others but haven't some of you learnt anything from Nathan Craig? Pre season games and reserve team games mean precisely NOTHING. There are no tackles, the games are played at one pace you can not judge players in this arena. Whereas Ajala maybe a promising young player, his role to start with with almost certainly be as an impact sub, in fact the two wingers are two of our only decent players.

I worry about nearly all of our squad in all honesty, especially in the key areas, I would say centre back but that's not completely true because our ENTIRE defence is absolutely horrendous, with or without Pearce. He makes a difference but not a big enough one to say once he's back it'll be ok, we have 2 of the very worst full backs in professional football and no reliable partner for Pearce. Our midfield is powderpuff and will get bullied in this league by a lot of sides, Harding hasn't impressed me consistently and while I don't doubt Luke Young's ability as a footballer he's rarely played as one of a 2 for any length of time in his career. Again we have no viable alternative, Richards young player who like Ajala I don't feel is ready to play regularly in a side where we actually hope of trying to do something. We lack experience, we lack strength and we lack quality in these two major areas.

Up front Bowman I think will be good for us, he'll get some goals and despite having a finishing day to forget the bits I saw apart from that I liked, he looks a good hold up player who gets in good areas and his goal record is reasonable at the level so you'd hope he'll do alright for us over the course of the season but again he lacks a playing partner. Benyon I dunno maybe we're all sat around hoping he might just rediscover the form of when he first joined us but that pacey on the shoulder brave finisher that he perhaps once was hasn't been evident for so long now, he's like a non league Torres. Now he's a shadow of that running around aimlessly for an hour contributing nothing to the cause. Again though what's the alternative? yeoman perhaps? I was surprised he wasn't involved but I suppose with 5 subs it makes it tougher, O'Achie? Like Ajala and Richards just so raw and unproven it's a gamble to play them so again there is very little. He may be unhappy at TUFC and he may want out but the omission of Jordan Chapell continues to amaze me, he's one of our few players that when his head is right can play in the football league, he's the only player in our squad who is on the transfer list that when he leaves will actually make a career for himself. I wouldn't be against giving him a run up front, he's pacey, direct and got an eye for a goal but it seems doubtful we'll see him again.

Gateshead was always going to be our toughest game from the first 6 or 7 but having said that we need to bounce back really quickly, these players have let us down so much over the least year I have little or no faith in them doing what's needed to make us a decent side at this level. The inability to move the transfer listed lot speaks volumes and the fact they continue to make our starting XI makes our plight that much harder and shows where the rest of our squad are.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thats a brilliant post and unfortunately is completely spot on. Like everyone else I was looking forward to the new season and thought we would be challenging.
I don't think Gateshead are anything like as good as people are making out. I think it was more that we were so abjectly poor.
You are dead right everyone is hyping up Ajala but you do have to ask why he couldn't get in Wellings side last year. Why Hargreaves continues to leave out Chappell is beyond me as well.
The problem is that we are basically bolloxed - we have a number of players who are on big money and know that Hargreaves doesn't want them. Thats probably a recipe for disaster if ever there was one. As I said yesterday I am sure Hargreaves would have happily jettisoned Harding who would give Nathan Craig a run for his money as being the slowest midfielder I have ever seen.
It may pay Hargreaves to actually leave out as many of the transfer listed players as possible - thats Downes,Benyon,Tongue and Harding for starters.
I cannot imagine these players are going to be arsed as they know that they are certainties to be axed in twelve months time.
I actually think we may finish lower mid table - lets be honest we should still be able to beat a certain number of sides in this league but I don't think we are going to get anywhere near the top eight.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

I feel the same with regard to the last sentence, when we signed Bowman and were linked with Cureton and one or two others I felt we might contest the top 5, when I see our actual starting XI and squad beneath it in reality then we will be nowhere near the top 5 at the end of the season. Just too many unknowns and unprovens and the vast majority of our 'proven' or 'experienced' players have been absolutely rubbish for us.
Pea
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dale Tonge

Post by Pea »

I can't wait until we win our next 5 games, are sitting top and have our whole side in the Conference TOTM.
Pea.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Pea wrote:I can't wait until we win our next 5 games, are sitting top and have our whole side in the Conference TOTM.
I'll have a pint of whatever Pea's been drinking! ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Pea wrote:I can't wait until we win our next 5 games, are sitting top and have our whole side in the Conference TOTM.
Oh look out the window, Pea (alias Matt) - there are some pigs flying by. In reply to Royal & Brucie, I'm not expecting too much this season but I think we will do better than the 'lower mid table' you suggest. I think it will be a season of consolidation/development whereby the young players will learn from experience and hopefully improve. Hargreaves must be hampered by having six players on the transfer list, although I have no concerns about Downes and Chappell staying. Gateshead were always going to be one of the stronger sides in the division. They were just beaten in the Play Off final and they have strengthened their side (Jon Shaw is a good signing at Conference level). Let's just wait and see how things are looking at 4.45 pm next Saturday, shall we?

Totally agree with Kevin (Sharrott1999) about the enjoyment of football in the lower leagues and pleased to hear that Saturday's game was played in a good spirit (although our radio commentator said that we have to be much more physical). It's good to see Gateshead bouncing back after so many troubled seasons in the wilderness. I'm old enough to remember teams at or near the bottom of Division 4 having to apply for re-election to the league and poor ol' Gateshead not being re-elected even though they were third from the bottom I believe and the two sides beneath them were re-elected !! It was very unfair and caused quite a stir in the north east at the time. Good luck for the rest of the season. I reckon you'll finish in the play offs at least.
Pea
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dale Tonge

Post by Pea »

It is pie in the sky, but no more so than all the other compete rubbish on this thread about our whole team being the worst group of players football has ever seen, on the basis, sight unseen by either complainant, we lost one game, away from home, to (officially) the best side remaining in the division.

Ironically, if we beat Welling 5-0, they'll be among the very first to start telling us not to get carried away based on one game. Bearing in mind that we got the same noises from the same posters when our team included the likes of O'Kane and Olejnik, it all starts to become a waste of time reading and it's definitely a waste of time writing it.
Pea.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

:goodpost:
Pea wrote:It is pie in the sky, but no more so than all the other compete rubbish on this thread about our whole team being the worst group of players football has ever seen, on the basis, sight unseen by either complainant, we lost one game, away from home, to (officially) the best side remaining in the division.

Ironically, if we beat Welling 5-0, they'll be among the very first to start telling us not to get carried away based on one game. Bearing in mind that we got the same noises from the same posters when our team included the likes of O'Kane and Olejnik, it all starts to become a waste of time reading and it's definitely a waste of time writing it.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Pea wrote:It is pie in the sky, but no more so than all the other compete rubbish on this thread about our whole team being the worst group of players football has ever seen, on the basis, sight unseen by either complainant, we lost one game, away from home, to (officially) the best side remaining in the division.

It's not based on one game though is it. Our worst players are still the ones who put us in this division in the first place and they still make our side, what does that tell you about the rest of the squad?
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

royalgull wrote: It's not based on one game though is it. Our worst players are still the ones who put us in this division in the first place and they still make our side, what does that tell you about the rest of the squad?
Is CH in a catch 22 situation though?

It's well documented that those on the transfer list are not required anymore, but for CH to get rid of those players, surely he needs to put them in the shop window to have any chance of them moving on - whether on loan or being bought by another club.

He will have virtually zero chance of this happening if they don't play at all.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
DonnyGull50
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by DonnyGull50 »

OllieGull wrote:To be fair if you look at all the teams who've been relegated last season, Stevenage were the only ones from Champ to Conference to win today, this seasons going to be long but it'll be more of an adjustment season getting used to the conference again. So not really surprising that we lost today, but being 3-0 down at one point is quite embarassing...
Doncaster 3-0 winners at Yeovil.