Exeter v Torquay 3pm ,sat 2nd August

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

I wish we could live in a world where you could say what you want and not have to be worried about being accused of being racist or sexist or anything else. If we had a team that had 10 black players and one white player who you didn't know the name of and Matt had said 'so and so worked well with the white lad ' .. I don't think anyone would've been arsed about it.

Racism will never stop if people keep accusing other people over the most innocent comments.

Back to the game, I wasn't there but I spoke to my father in depth about it after he left the match. He basically said that we were so much better that City with the ball but just lacked composure in the first half, without the ball we struggled against a winger of theirs but they had no quality upfront for us to be majorly worried.
He also said there were a few calls for a red card for Bowman but he didn't see it, is that true?
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
eastmoorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Stubbs

Post by eastmoorgull »

There was a lovely moment in the second half where Richards, Ajala and O'Achie played triangles around a very dormant City defence. As humans we collate, we group; that's what we do to process lots of information and at that moment the three Torquay players were black. That's what Matt said. End of please.

Bowman looks like he stands no nonsense; he took advantage of a situation to have a go at a defender by running him into the fencing but in reality it was nothing but the defender lost his cool and was very lucky not to have been removed from the field of play. There was also an incident far left where we could see a City player raise his arm at a Torquay player. Anyone who thought that was a nice little warm up out there was very mistaken
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Heard a comment about the topical use of the racism card, think it was on News night, a while back from an eminent politician which whilst not necessarily agreeing with it did make me think. The MP whilst being accused of racism responded with,

"Sir that fact that you have racism merely to gain the advantage in and argument makes you a racist of the worst kind"

Love good come backs!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

im sorry but if matt or anyone called me black/brown i wouldnt be happy.

similarly i wouldnt call him or anyone white.

id just use their name - and if i didnt know it they would get "mate"
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Greybeardedgull »

OK everybody, I've had enough of this complete shite you set of boring dildo's.
Racism is filth but the meaning of it has in recent times been raped to the point where we live in our own country yet daren't even look or comment on someone unless they are pure Anglo Saxon without being classed as a racist.
This is total bollocks and I take offence at it. I am not a racist and neither were Matt's comments on yesterdays game. By the way, regardless of my skin colour, my beard is grey.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:im sorry but if matt or anyone called me black/brown i wouldnt be happy.

similarly i wouldnt call him or anyone white.

id just use their name - and if i didnt know it they would get "mate"
This is absolutely magnificent. We started with the N word and that was binned in favour of 'coloured'. Then someone decided that was offensive, so we switched to 'black' and now apparently that's not acceptable either.

The term, in this instance, is purely descriptive and I'm very much afraid that anyone taking offence to it shall have to get over themselves. If I'd described the blokes as tall, wingers, dark haired, men, young or any other adjective, no one would care. That I chose black and used it descriptively is about as far from racism as it's possible to get. Describing someone as a woman isn't sexist, describing someone as disabled isn't disabled-ist, describing someone as tall isn't height-ist and describing someone as black isn't racist. By arguing that it is, you have the same negative effect upon the genuine (and well founded) cause of those who genuinely oppose genuine racism. Just as ridiculous "all men are rapists" brand feminists are harming the cause of those campaigning for equal rights for women.

Matt (a white guy).
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Greybeardedgull »

A white guy? Chalky then, honky, blondie, Brit.
Be careful pal cos free speech is obviously very rapidly becoming a thing of the very beautiful and much missed past.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Back onto the match thread we won 2-0 against the team in red and white, no offence caused
Lucy
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ferrarilover wrote: This is absolutely magnificent. We started with the N word and that was binned in favour of 'coloured'. Then someone decided that was offensive, so we switched to 'black' and now apparently that's not acceptable either.

The term, in this instance, is purely descriptive and I'm very much afraid that anyone taking offence to it shall have to get over themselves. If I'd described the blokes as tall, wingers, dark haired, men, young or any other adjective, no one would care. That I chose black and used it descriptively is about as far from racism as it's possible to get. Describing someone as a woman isn't sexist, describing someone as disabled isn't disabled-ist, describing someone as tall isn't height-ist and describing someone as black isn't racist. By arguing that it is, you have the same negative effect upon the genuine (and well founded) cause of those who genuinely oppose genuine racism. Just as ridiculous "all men are rapists" brand feminists are harming the cause of those campaigning for equal rights for women.

Matt (a white guy).

and a biter.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Greybeardedgull wrote:A white guy? Chalky then, honky, blondie, Brit.
Be careful pal cos free speech is obviously very rapidly becoming a thing of the very beautiful and much missed past.
and obviously another fishy.

TUST Member 468

yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

Matt I see you and the hat made the Indy today!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Matt knew exactly what he was doing and got exactly what he wanted turning a matchday thread into a thread on racism.

I've made it clear on plenty of previous occasions that it isn't what we want to be discussing on a football related topic so he can have 7 days to reflect upon his deliberate actions as well.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Matt knew exactly what he was doing and got exactly what he wanted turning a matchday thread into a thread on racism.

I've made it clear on plenty of previous occasions that it isn't what we want to be discussing on a football related topic so he can have 7 days to reflect upon his deliberate actions as well.

Bit harsh in my view, why single Matt out for defending his original post. Would love to add more on the subject however it's not the time or place.

Can we start a "free Ferrarilover and Brucie" thread" ? ;-)
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Southampton Gull wrote:Matt knew exactly what he was doing and got exactly what he wanted turning a matchday thread into a thread on racism.

Er, it wasn't Matt, it was Hector who brought up the racism card on this thread..
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

My take was that Matt chose his words carefully and waited for the response.
TUST number 080