Exeter v Torquay 3pm ,sat 2nd August

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Exeter v Torquay 3pm ,sat 2nd August

Post by lucy6lucy »

Just no updates
Last edited by lucy6lucy on 02 Aug 2014, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Lucy
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Yeah, 0-0 at half time, chances for both teams so a pretty even game.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

1-0 Bowman
TUST No 278
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

1-0 Bowman, within a minute of Torquay clearing off the line and Oakley putting it wide haha
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

chardie wrote:1-0 Bowman

Beat me to it,, good goal by all accounts
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Chapell 2-0 !!!
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

2-0 Chapell!!
TUST No 278
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Full time 2-0 :scarf: :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Great result, came back from holiday yesterday was planning to go, but a last minute snag got in the way, never mind, reading exeweb should be priceless tonight. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

forevertufc wrote:Great result, came back from holiday yesterday was planning to go, but a last minute snag got in the way, never mind, reading exeweb should be priceless tonight. :)
Got to admit after watching the guys at Dorchester and then listening to the second half today I'm struggling with this a bit, in a good way.

CH seems to have gone about his business quietly, efficiently and effectively.

That's for you, maybe. :-D
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I made a late decision to go today. I paid £1.50 for what essentially was a poster of a programme, partly seduced by what I thought - at first glance - was a Torquay player on the front but it was an Exeter player in their yellow and blue Torquay kit.

First half was pretty even and early on Exeter probably shaded it.

Second half was a different story and we looked much stronger against, what was admittedly a weakened Exeter team. I wouldn't say we were secure defensively - I don't think Exeter remotely threatened or tested us - but the defence did enough and a few defenders got some good blocks in. The wingers (Briscoe/Cameron) both looked threatening and up front Bowman (and even Benyon) worked well.

In midfield, Ben Harding stood out for me, more so than Young, who attempted to be ambitious at times but his long passes quite often went to the opposition, while Harding was just tidy, played the sensible, easy pass. He was probably my m.o.m.

When the substitutions started, we had Richards and Ajala come on and there was this little spell of ole football with a few backheels. Both looked impressive, as did Chapell when he came on. I really do think we are likely to be amongst the strongest in this position. I would be happy with any of Chapell, Briscoe, Cameron, Ajala starting.

It could be that away from home, Hargreaves plays a Lingesque line-up with Richards added to Young/Harding and Bowman up front on his own - he does look like he can make things happen - at least he did today. Both goals were similar - from quite tight angles on the right.

I suppose we should not read too much into friendlies but my conclusions are that we desperately need full-backs. This is our glaringly weak position. Tonge tends to pass to the opposition, whilst Cruise is just so slow and gentle. I'm not convinced by Rice but I guess we are going to have to live with that. Otherwise, we are quite well served in other areas, other than up front if Bowman is absent. O'Achie really looked a little out of his depth, whilst Sullivan is likely to have the same career path as Yeoman if he stays beyond this season.

These, of course, are fairly snap judgements made in a meaningless game but overall, the picture was positive.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

My fourth PSF. Chris Hargreaves is to be congratulated on putting together a team which plays with pace and desire.

It was very interesting to see how we played as a team when we lost the ball. The whole team reacted to regain possession and this is a squad where each and every player is playing for the team and not for themselves.

Rice is now a dependable keeper and our only weakness seems to be in the back four. Dale Tonge is very experienced but very frustrating to watch as he makes so many simple mistakes. Tom Cruise has no imagination and plays the ball backwards as often as he plays it forwards. He can pass but he is ultra cautious.

Angus McDonald is excellent and a good signing for the club. Downes is effective at this level but is vulnerable to strikers with real pace.

In mid field Luke Young is way better than Lee Mansell although in truth he did have a quiet game today by his standards. Ben Harding is a big physical presence and I thought he had a good game today without being outstanding. Briscoe is a good signing and had a fantastic shot which went inches over the bar with the keeper beaten.Cameron is growing in confidence with every game and hopefully will have a good season. He will need to play well because Jordan Chapell and Toby Ajala will be strong contenders.

Up front Ryan Bowman is an excellent striker, the best we have had for some time, he is strong, fit, fast and ultra competitive. He really wants to win. His partner up front today was Elliott Benyon who did his best but is very limited against big defenders. I would like to see Ajala played as a striker because he is the most skillful player in the team, has pace and a good shot.

Finally well done Chris on what you have achieved this summer and its now up to us all to get down to Plainmoor on August 9th for our first home game.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

don't go to Plainmoor on August 9th though, because we're away at Gateshead ! First home game is Tuesday 12th, against Welling. Despite people thinking that Young had a quiet game, there was a spell in the first half when he was magnificent ! Bowman can be a beast, & I thought Sully played well when he came on; potential for a goal towards the end. Now I'm off to exeweb.......
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

O'A[r]chie out of his depth? You mean aside from winning every header he went for and muscling at least two much more experienced defenders off the ball? He slotted straight into a decent side and worked especially well with the other black guys. I'm not really sure what you mean about Sully either. He could have comfortably had a hat-trick today and he was only on 20 minutes. He was inches from an excellent Briscoe cross (is there any other kind?), saw one excellent 20 yarder denied by the save of the game and managed to mishit a difficult, but not impossible volley. In 70 minutes, Benyon had one (admittedly very well struck) shot and you seem pleased with his day's work.

I never get a good sense of the game at City. Too low down for my liking, but those bits that were right in front of me looked bloody good. I have my concerns about Downer, and wonder if he might be losing his place to Old Mac when Pearce is back fit.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
eastmoorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Stubbs

Post by eastmoorgull »

My first PSF. Impressed by Angus, Luke and Harding; seemed to me Exeter had no one of their quality.
Bowman looked good too; think he'll ruffle a few feathers for sure - couple of their players lost their composure when physically pushed hard.
Second half Richards and Ajala reinforced what others have said - the faithful seemed to have taken Young and Ajala to their hearts already.
Tonge - oh dear; give him 2 options and he'll take the 3rd no chance pass. Downes, vulnerable to the ball over the top and Cruise almost too nice?.............but we scored two and conceded none!
Well done CH- looking forward to the Conference 2014/5.