Rice - Staying

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Rice - Staying

Post by taunton_gull »

Confirmed via his facebook page in the last 15 minutes that he will be staying on for another year. Happy with this, he has established himself as the number one and is a good enough keeper for the level we now find ourselves at. Much as I like Poke I feel now is the right time for him to move on given his recent injury concerns and perhaps we can bring in a cheaper no.2 or promote from within?
The original taunton_gull!!!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Fair play to him. Proved a lot of doubters wrong last season.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Rice is our number one? - hopefully not
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Perfectly average L2 keeper becomes a decent if unspectacular Conference keeper. Costs us about 50p/week and works his balls off for the privilege. Young Lavercombe can come through and the third choice place can be left open for Sam Shulberg to return from injury and begin the road to fighting it out with others for a jersey.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

ferrarilover wrote:Perfectly average L2 keeper becomes a decent if unspectacular Conference keeper. Costs us about 50p/week and works his balls off for the privilege. Young Lavercombe can come through and the third choice place can be left open for Sam Shulberg to return from injury and begin the road to fighting it out with others for a jersey.

Matt.
I suspect the fact we have offered Poke a contract seems to suggest we are looking for 2 pro's and lavercombe as a back-up to these instead of him being number 2?
TUST member 328
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

If Rice is one of the two that were "close to signing"-who is the other one-Mansell,Thompson,Poke or Lathrope?
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

good, happy with this :clap: :clap:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:If Rice is one of the two that were "close to signing"-who is the other one-Mansell,Thompson,Poke or Lathrope?
Thompson I would think. CH already talking as if he has signed by saying they would trying him as an attacking full-back in pre-season.
TUST member 328
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I was rather assuming that Pokey wouldn't stay. You might well be right, if dear Michael stays.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Happy with him staying and happy if he turns out to be our number 1 next season.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

yellowforever wrote:Happy with him staying and happy if he turns out to be our number 1 next season.
Wasn't there Herald Express talk about us being interested in Chris Weale who has been released by Shrewsbury, or has that interest evaporated? Personally I have no worries about Ricey being our number one with a reliable young keeper such as Lavercombe as back-up.
Totnesyellow
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Totnesyellow »

Rice and Thompson have signed according to the Herald:

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html
torkie_buoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Cameron

Post by torkie_buoy »

Pleased that both are staying imo, can see Thompson doing well if he did adopt a full back position- he's stronger than you'd think by his size. Rice needs to stay confident and he will be a fine keeper next season- a crisis of confidence would be disastrous.
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

ferrarilover wrote:I was rather assuming that Pokey wouldn't stay. You might well be right, if dear Michael stays.

Matt.
I think Poke' new contract offer is a big wage cut, so I do imagine we've seen his last appearance at the club. Over the moon with Ricey signing, one of a very few bright sparks this season.
We'll be back...
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

torkie_buoy wrote:Pleased that both are staying imo, can see Thompson doing well if he did adopt a full back position- he's stronger than you'd think by his size. Rice needs to stay confident and he will be a fine keeper next season- a crisis of confidence would be disastrous.
:goodpost: Always thought this, especially in the conference, a decent attacking full back.
We'll be back...