Shaquille Coulthirst

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

SBP wrote:I know nothing about this lad, but i hope we adopt a different attacking approach because the last 2 years its been a ball directed at neck height like a tracer bullet from the keepers kick off or the out ball to Nico.
I dont care who they bring in because it isnt going to change unless they change the way we play offensively.
Quickly find out this boys strengths and spend 90 minutes playing to them, then we will see.

We will not win 5 games from our last 7 by sitting back and soaking up the pressure. The onus should be on positive attacking play. Tempered with pressurising the opposition when we do not have the ball.

We have just walked into the Last Chance saloon and sat down waiting for the Fat lady to sing COYY!,,, :scarf:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

kevgull wrote: Quickly find out this boys strengths and spend 90 minutes playing to them, then we will see.

We will not win 5 games from our last 7 by sitting back and soaking up the pressure. The onus should be on positive attacking play. Tempered with pressurising the opposition when we do not have the ball.

We have just walked into the Last Chance saloon and sat down waiting for the Fat lady to sing COYY!,,, :scarf:

Kev, we need big changes offensively. I dont care if we have Suarez and Sturridge up front, nobody is effective with their back to goal with balls hit at the moon or neck.
We need to keep the ball, Very simple. We then need to pass to a team-mate, work extremely hard for each other, creating space with movement. We also have to attack with pace and purpose.
Sorry, i know you know this but the MANAGEMENT doesnt.
If i could just make one incey wincey change, i would get hold of Ricey and tell him if he boots the ball today, your fired!!!p45 time.
Roll the ball out, over arm, under arm any bloody arm just dont kick the damn thing.

My next post i will then start on the fullbacks, oh god thats it I am on one, quick i need a beer
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Me too! I'm on the Doom Bar tonight.

Spot on again SBP and if I may add doubling up on opponents. Sure it's hard work but if we press and then double up on an opposition player then it puts immense pressure on them and forces them back, to hoof the ball away or to make a mistake. At the minute the opposition just shrugs off Benyon et al and then can pick where he wants to put if no pressure.

We just need to get in their faces and simple as it sounds, WANT the game more than our opponents. It is surprising what can be achieved by doing this even if the players applying the theory are totally shit.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:Me too! I'm on the Doom Bar tonight.

Spot on again SBP and if I may add doubling up on opponents. Sure it's hard work but if we press and then double up on an opposition player then it puts immense pressure on them and forces them back, to hoof the ball away or to make a mistake. At the minute the opposition just shrugs off Benyon et al and then can pick where he wants to put if no pressure.

We just need to get in their faces and simple as it sounds, WANT the game more than our opponents. It is surprising what can be achieved by doing this even if the players applying the theory are totally sh*t.

It's a simple mindset change needed very quickly. Change the mental question to a statement.

Am I better than my opposite number?

I am better than my opposite number!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Having watched the Southend - Oxford game on Sky on Monday night, and watching their loan striker (can't think of his name, from Norwich) have a hand in all three goals it just goes to show that sometimes you can hit the jackpot with a young loan player.

Who knows if this guy will be the answer - we've pretty much tried everyone else!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:Me too! I'm on the Doom Bar tonight.

We just need to get in their faces and simple as it sounds, WANT the game more than our opponents. It is surprising what can be achieved by doing this even if the players applying the theory are totally sh*t.

There you go Andy, we have a new Management team with Kevgull
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

SBP wrote:
Kev, we need big changes offensively. I dont care if we have Suarez and Sturridge up front, nobody is effective with their back to goal with balls hit at the moon or neck.
We need to keep the ball, Very simple. We then need to pass to a team-mate, work extremely hard for each other, creating space with movement. We also have to attack with pace and purpose.
Sorry, i know you know this but the MANAGEMENT doesnt.
If i could just make one incey wincey change, i would get hold of Ricey and tell him if he boots the ball today, your fired!!!p45 time.
Roll the ball out, over arm, under arm any bloody arm just dont kick the damn thing.

My next post i will then start on the fullbacks, oh god thats it I am on one, quick i need a beer
Ahahahahaha! You actually think this sort of thinking makes you some sort of footballing oracle, don't you. This is brilliant, exactly the sort of thing the internet was invented for. I absolutely love it - more of the same, please.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Someone posted in another thread about Bodin playing a free role up front. IMO that is the only role he can effectively play with us at this stage. He does very little defensive tracking back and that is part of the problem we have on the left. Bodin was only effective with us in his first spell when he was playing in a 5 man midfield. When he lost the ball it was mopped up in midfield. He loses it now and the fullback is in big troubles which then pulls the centre half out.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Matt we're simply pointing out that psychology and changing the mentality of a player or a team can be just as effective as having talented players, at least in the short term. That's why often when a manager comes in to a struggling side and gets them playing a bit and improving results it is often because the manager has got the players believing, thinking and approaching things differently and it can work. Obviously it is not a long term management strategy but for the here and now it really needs working on to give us any hope. I am surprised than we have failed to build on the back to back home wins in terms of improved performances as this was an ideal time for Chris to instil a bit of belief and positivity in the team with those results to show as an example of what they can do as the bare minimum.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Following my criticism last night of the club apparently not addressing our striking issues I feel it necessary to hold my hands up and commend the club for getting a man in. The budget only allows for youth loanees (if that!) so at least we can take solace in the fact he is from a premier league club and hopefully academy trained. We have done the best that our resources can possibly manufacture.

He may not be the answer, we can only hope he is, but after asking the question whether the club is doing all they can to make a difference, it would appear that in working right up to the deadline in order to sign another player, that they are.

Let's hope the new man makes a difference, starting with a positive performance tomorrow!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

You changed your mind about going then Ben?
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

Spurs have a fine track record of loaning young players to lower league clubs in recent years who have done well for both the club they've joined as well as for themselves.

Players such as Andros Townsend and Steven Caulker at Yeovil, as well as Adam Smith who was here under Buckle and went on to play for England Under-21's, and Alex Pritchard and Grant Hall who are at Swindon at the moment.

If he can emulate the previously aforementioned individuals then there is every chance that he will turn out to be exactly what the doctor ordered, and he might just equal Jordan Chapell's goal scoring haul of five or even better it!
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I am not going tomorrow Andy, but after my epistle last night spreading perhaps a bit too much more gloom than I intended I felt it reasonable to counteract that by trying to glean positivity from the last couple of signings. We are in a massive mess, but at least the club are trying to rectify that by getting more bodies in. At this precise moment, in isolation, that's all we can ask and they should be applauded for that.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I think iam a football oracle, great, cant wait to tell the kids
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

bengull wrote:I am not going tomorrow Andy, but after my epistle last night spreading perhaps a bit too much more gloom than I intended I felt it reasonable to counteract that by trying to glean positivity from the last couple of signings. We are in a massive mess, but at least the club are trying to rectify that by getting more bodies in. At this precise moment, in isolation, that's all we can ask and they should be applauded for that.
No need to feel you need to make excuses Ben. As a Torquay fan, things are really as gloomy as you depict, there is no sugar coated magical moments that remain hidden away deep in the recesses of the season thus far. It's been pure torture.

At least the club are adding another couple of loanees to try and move forward but all they will succeed in doing IMO is stemming the tide rather than keeping our heads above the waterline. We're sunk without trace if the metaphors will stretch. Like you say though Ben, the players are now here and that's all we can ask, we must hope that they turn out to become as iconic as Bryn because that is what it will take from one of them now in order for us to stay up, a feat of unbelievable proportions.

Are you going to Brizzle then? If we win tomorrow :rofl: then i'll see if I can get down there.