Torquay United v Rochdale 11/03/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Don't think the other results matter. Its down to us. We are only going to get out of this by putting in a run of wins.
With regard to Enoch - I noticed on Saturday that he was popular with the other players. A real pro with a fantastic attitude.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Agree with you Brucie

at the end of the day, if we get to 50 points, history tells us we have a good chance of survival.

if we get to 47 history tells us we will have a chance

Some teams above us will go on a bad run over the next 3 to 4 games.

17 points in 11 games will give us a fighting chance
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Haven't posted in a while: been keen to maintain a level of ambivalence having accepted our fate after the Accrington game. I have watched the last few matches trying to be as detached as possible, not getting my hopes up, not feeling suicidal, trying to remain insouciant so that our situation doesn't make me too angry/ upset/ emotional. However, in the end, I really enjoyed last night.

It will probably prove to be immaterial in the overall scheme of things, I can quite see why it might re-ignite the faintest throes of hope in some, but for me it was a nice, timely reminder why I love our club and that the winning feeling, no matter how rare, still makes it worth investing money, emotion and interest into TUFC. I do love it when a small crowd, the absolute hard-core, drives on the team. It really felt personal last night, there was no vitriol, no indignant criticisms, just a few hundred people desperate to see a victory before it really was too late. Those '1600' (nearer 1200) deserved a good night's entertainment after what has been a sorry, soul-destroying season at Plainmoor.

I thought the first half was an excellent game of football, end to end, lots of openings and some decent goalkeeping on display. Am yet to be convinced by big Enoch, but had his stunning volley gone in, it would have been the best goal I have seen since some kid called Ashley Yeoman left the Morecambe defence in the distance, I wonder whatever happened to that young lad?

Pearce was outstanding and I thought the captaincy galvanised his performance, he was commanding all night and a direct contrast to Saturday were he looked shot by abuse for mistakes he did not actually make. I am actually pleased to see Rice back too, he did nothing to warrant being dropped- apart from being paid considerably less than Poke- Poke also made 3 or 4 mistakes that directly led to goals, more than Rice made in the entire first half of the season. These two, if I choose to vote, would be my player of the season candidates.

Second half was an abysmal game of football to watch, each keeper trying to outkick each other it seemed. I think, for one of the first times this season, we got lucky with our winning goal, 2 or 3 things fell in our favour before Labadie smashed it in from 4 yards and I don't really think our play deserved a winning goal, but our endeavour did. I must admit I was jumping up and down when the second went in, I was shouting myself silly for the final whistle, no matter how detached I intend to be, it will always matter.

A very welcome 3 points and although I really don't think it will make much difference you just never know with our football club. The division is such a poor one that it is not inconceivable that we could win a couple more and get ourselves back into the pack, If we can give ourselves even a glimmer of hope with 5 games to go then the greatest of great escapes could be on. I will not allow myself to get too excited, just enjoy the moment of a rare win .

The most galling thing though, when you cast your eye back over the season, is that even 3-4 points more at this stage would make our plights seem all the more doable/positive. That really, in layman's terms, is why our position is so unnecessary. The league this season is a woeful standard, absolutely hopeless, having only amassed 33 points is the real issue; we've handed out points far too readily. Just one or two different results over the course of the season and despite it being the worst season I can ever remember, we would still be in a perfectly reasonably situation to turn it round.

3 points on Saturday is a must, with a lot of fortuity for results to go our way thrown in, and we might be back in business. For the time being just enjoying last night's reminder of what supporting our small, local team is all about.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

:goodpost:

Great post Bengull, you sum things up really well.
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

Agree with the comments about the team giving it all, but because the crowd was so small you could hear all the comments the crowd were making, and the dogs abuse the tonge was getting, especially "liked" the one where he made a headed clearance and some one shouted that "it was the first time he headed the ball all night" ...could be that Rochdales tactics were to isolate him against the 6ft plus guy on their left hand side...and try and get him to head the ball on/ back into the danger area ..exactly where their goal came from.

Or perhaps the other comment about rice keeping the ball on the pitch after kicking it out once whilst trying to release benyon for a quick break, rice who's distribution is so much better than pokes ..

We are all in this together so let's suspend our petty dislike of individual players and support the whole team till the end of the season
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Well that was one of my happier return journeys from a home game after a cracking team performance. All about opinions I know but for me every player played their part none more so than Captain Pearce.
Cameron, forgiving his one mistake, not tracking back quick enough to help Nico leading to the cross for Rochdale's goal, was a real threat when running at the Rochdale defence as was Goodwin on the other flank.
Benyon and Showunmi ran themselves into the ground; Enoch's first touch is not always brilliant but he gives defenders something to think about.
Labadie's goal may have been a parting gift depending on the FA's decision but boy was it timely. For the last 15 minutes (including stoppage time) Plainmoor was rocking - what an atmosphere with 1600 willing the ball to stay out of our net. Should he get a ban his absence will be a big loss as his strength and physical presence are important.
Not sure about the penalty shouts as from the Family Stand not easy to see details in the other goalmouth. But as I posted on Monday we are due a hatful of penalties. Recent referees seem to have an agenda about not giving us any.
Give him his due Rice, for me, is our Number 1 keeper. He kept us in it (again) with an important save and putting off an incoming forward. He had no chance with the goal if anyone was at fault it was Tonge being outjumped.
For those who chose not to attend/couldn't get there this was what we've been wanting to watch all season.
I now fancy our chances at Cheltenham and then Bury next Tuesday.
Sorry to add that despite his long service leaving Mansell on the bench was the correct decision.
Six more points will be a different complexion on the table. Play like last night to the end of the season and anything is possible.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

MidDevon wrote:Agree with you Brucie

at the end of the day, if we get to 50 points, history tells us we have a good chance of survival.

if we get to 47 history tells us we will have a chance

Some teams above us will go on a bad run over the next 3 to 4 games.

17 points in 11 games will give us a fighting chance
Because of our goal difference and how tight it is in the bottom half of the league, I think we will need to get to 52 points, Middevon. If the team turn up as they did last night, it's not out of the question. We have always said there will be several ups and downs before the end of the season and we've certainly had some downs - Northampton, Accrington, Fleetwood - so now perhaps it's time for the ups :scarf:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

If we can close the gap again on Saturday/Tuesday then we give ourselves a fighting chance over the last handful of games. We have done alright at Cheltenham recently, and then Bury come to town currently sitting 8 points ahead of us. If we can claw ourselves back into contention then it is down to who holds their nerve better.

We only play 3 of the top 10 again this season (Scunthorpe at home, Southend and York away) and then the rest of the games are against teams who still aren't safe, so there's lots of points to be won.

Showunmi and Benyon worked their socks off last night and hopefully Labadie's biting charge comes to nothing and then we can move on from that too. Looking forward to Saturday now, if we can replicate last nights performance for the rest of the season we will stay up.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Congratulations to all concerned last night,management,players and fans.I had forgotten what it felt like to win and when the fulltime came on the sky teleprinter the relive was immense.Credit where credit is due,I have posted many times that I believe we are conference bound and in fairness one result doesn't really change my opinion but four wins on the bounce just might.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

MATT was that another of those crap sides you were on about last week one of the 24 which we played last night.
Chris Hargreaves has been changing the side about, since he lost Bodin with injury and sickness to Goodwin.
Last night Chris struck gold as he found the mix to excite and create chances and you could see the players are playing for him. I hope you've taught the girl who stands next to you a few things after last night game as it was one to learn from.
By the way you were right about a few things about me and one thing is I do know a fair bit about how to put a side together as I said before there are no crap players at the club, could you relay this to the girl who stands next to you as she might still think I'm insane.
If your going on Saturday I might see you as I just bought a ticket as last night has given me hope or am I insane.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

We're bottom, of course other results matter. It's out of our hands, other results matter as much as our own.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Just to let you all know as Matt seems embarrased to tell us. But that Girl who stands beside him happens to the present love of his life. Girlfriend or partner. Whatever. She is a really nice girl. Can't think why she wants to come with MATT to Plainmoor but that's commitment. what a way to refer to your girlfriend. dear dear Matt.
I am reliably informed, his bruised testicle will calm down soon. :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The above post is inaccurate in every way and I'd be grateful if it could be removed.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote:The above post is inaccurate in every way and I'd be grateful if it could be removed.
Matt.
The post? Or the testicle? :~D
CapeTownGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Colin Lee

Post by CapeTownGull »

Let's hope CH sticks to his word now and now keeps the same 11 who have succeeded (with perhaps the allowance for the injured O'Connor coming back) and not reintroduce Mansell or Stevens! Or if he feels he needs to strengthen the midfield for an away game bring back Harding.