Goodbye Football League....Hello Conference

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

cambgull wrote:I actually happen to think the players are good enough, I just don't think we've used them to the best of their abilities and I don't think the right players have been used. Too many loanees replacing players who haven't been given a decent chance. We've had nothing creative in midfield despite having a creative player being farmed out on loan, signed a player from Man Utd then not played him potentially ruining a link with a youth system developing some of the best players in Britain.

Compare this to Buckle, who we all whinged about for getting the same players yet in terms of loans he managed to bring in players like Robinson and Tomlin, players who aren't 17 years old, have actually played in the first team who came to help the team succeed.

If you look through our team, there really is no excuse for this position we are in:-

Goalkeepers: Probably the strongest pairing we've had in all the years I've supported TUFC apart from Olejnik.

Poke - We all know what he's capable of.
Rice - Came in and did a sterling job at the start of the season. I actually think we've been worse since Poke came back.

Defence: Experience mixed with youth, just what you'd want from team.

Tonge - Many years at Rotherham, who aren't exactly bad at this level or the one above.
Pearce - Highly rated young player from Birmingham who I hope would stay with us. Potentially very good defender.
Downes - A pairing of him and Pearce should be a rock solid pairing, lets be honest.
Nico - Past his best, no doubt about that and was always far too slow. A player bred from a time when it was okay to constantly hoof the ball down the line. Times have changed now though, he doesn't work in modern day, lower tempo football with fast forward lines.
Cruise - Highly rated but I just don't think he's quite good enough. Still could turn into a very good player as he has time on his side.
Cooper - Spent most of his career in the league above and very comfortable on the ball. Will hopefully plug the left back weak link.

Central Midfield: Not our strongest area but shouldn't be so poor either.

Mansell - Like Nico, running round like a nutcase just doesn't cut it. I'd like to see him used in a more defensive role.
Lathrope - Great in that 'sitting in front of the defence' role. Our best sides since Ling took over have involved him in that role.
Harding - Started off awful but perhaps we'll see why he's played 250 games in career.
Labadie - When not biting opposition players, can pass, can tackle, shoot and head the ball. Probably our best all round player.
Craig - I'm not going to pretend he would be the saviour of Torquay United, but he would add some passing ability into the midfield and every decent team in the history of football usually ends up having a player who creates chances and passes the ball around. So why not use the only player in the squad who can do that?

Wings: Raw power and pace with a bit of crossing ability, this really shouldn't be a negative area at all.

Bodin - I like to think of him as the League 2 Ronaldo. All tricks and flicks, just doesn't score, or cross, or do much at all.
Chappell - Probably one of our best players, fast, direct and can score. So why take him out of the team?!
Cameron - The Rotherham fans really liked him. Fast and can cross well. So why play him on the right?!
Thompson - Young and still needs some time to improve but I'd like to see him here, as a back up to Chappell.

Forwards: Probably our poorest area.

Hawley - Came with a decent reputation, scored a few for a poor team last year. Seemed to constantly have to get the ball from deep though as nothing was being created behind him.
Benyon - Did very well for us last time and made us a few quid. Nothing is being created for him though, so he can't do his usual trick of goal hanging.
Yeoman - I don't think he'll ever really be good enough, he'd have been in our first team and been sold on by now if he was.

I won't go into loanees as they aren't really our players.

Aside from up front, on paper this is a team which should be at least mid-table. Simple fact is though, we haven't scored enough goals and that isn't helped by playing left footed players on the right wing, right footed players on the left wing and having a midfield full of players who are defensive players, not creators of chances. The formations have been a constant problem and rather than getting a good result and tweaking the formation, we've changed it constantly.

That is a fantastic post, summing things up perfectly. :clap:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

You forgot Danny ;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Scott Brehaut wrote:You forgot Danny ;-)
He was below the height restriction for inclusion on the list. It was also past his bed time.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Cambgull's assessment of the strengths/weaknesses of the squad is spot on. As I said on the match thread last night can't score at home, can't win at home = relegation.
If we take out the 4 goals scored against Cheltenham, in the other 16 home matches we have scored TEN goals. That is where the problem lies.
At present for all his undoubted passion and commitment Chris Hargreaves looks out of his depth.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

but he will fight to the death and the players will work hard!!!!!!

Important sound bites.......
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Being cynical they're only words. We need to see evidence on the pitch. Starting Tuesday would be good against a Rochdale side who hopefully believe they only have to turn up to take the points. Time for the underdog to bite back!!
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I too was being cynical.

I work hard but if I'm not doing my job properly, I wouldn't expect to be offered another 1-2 year contract.

Becoming more and more nervous that Mansell and Nico will be offered 1 year deals for next year.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I DONT CARE IF I GET SLAGGED OFF BUT THAT ANALYSIS OF OUR SQUAD IS RIDICULOUS.

We are adrift at the bottom of league 2 but we have a good team, total rubbish.

Heres a more realistic summing up (in my opinion obviously)

Poke - League 2 level
Rice - League 2 level now
Tonge - League 2 level just - Dont care if he was a regular at Rotherham in the past, he isnt that great with us
Pearce - Very good - league 2 level easily, will probably want to move on if we get relegated, why would he want to stay?
Downes - Very good - league 2 level easily, will probably want to move on if we get relegated, why would he want to stay?
Nico - Conference level now
Cruise - Conference south level
OConnor - Very good - league 2 level easily, will return to parent club
Mansell - Conference level now - Would keep him but on reduced wages
Lathrope - Good league 2 level
Harding - Awfull - Will be here next season becuase his probably on good money and no one will want him
Labadie - Very good - league 2 level easily, will return to parent club
Craig - League 2 level
Bodin - League 2 level. will probably move on becuase I guess on high wages
Chappell - Conference level. overated by alot on here, NO END PRODUCT so no point
Cameron - Awfull -No end product so pointless
Thompson - Conference south
Hawley - Terrible one of the worst players to put on a Torquay shirt. Who cares what he did in the past. Hes our number 9, with a paultry number of goals. will be here next season becuase no one will want him and probably on good money.
Benyon -Conference
Yeoman - Conference south

Now that will provoke some debate, but its what I beleive!
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

apologies to our Northeren friends, I should have stated south/north :)
TUST MEMBER
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Neal wrote:apologies to our Northeren friends, I should have stated south/north :)
apology not accepted. :@ :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Neal wrote:I DONT CARE IF I GET SLAGGED OFF BUT THAT ANALYSIS OF OUR SQUAD IS RIDICULOUS.

Poke - League 2 level
Tonge - League 2 level just - Dont care if he was a regular at Rotherham in the past, he isnt that great with us
Pearce - Very good - league 2 level easily, will probably want to move on if we get relegated, why would he want to stay?
Downes - Very good - league 2 level easily, will probably want to move on if we get relegated, why would he want to stay?
Harding - Awfull - Will be here next season becuase his probably on good money and no one will want him
Craig - League 2 level
Chappell - Conference level. overated by alot on here, NO END PRODUCT so no point
Hawley - Terrible one of the worst players to put on a Torquay shirt. Who cares what he did in the past. Hes our number 9, with a paultry number of goals. will be here next season becuase no one will want him and probably on good money.
Benyon -Conference

Each to their own opinions but apart from Yeoman I probably have to agree with each and every one of these ratings Neal.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Neal wrote:I DONT CARE IF I GET SLAGGED OFF BUT THAT ANALYSIS OF OUR SQUAD IS RIDICULOUS.

Poke - League 2 level
Craig - League 2 level
Benyon -Conference

Such a good accurate review, Who's Ladibie"s parent club?
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I assume this was directed at mine, and you don't need to shout about it. I should probably note that my analysis is based on the players at the start of the season, although it did seem to change part way through on re-reading! It was mainly to convey my point that we don't have bad players, we just have some average players playing badly/with no confidence. On paper, we have a team which really should not be in it's current position.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Neal wrote:Labadie - Very good - league 2 level easily, will return to parent club
Two things - firstly, Labadie won't go back to his "parent" club as he doesn't have one. He signed with us to stay until the end of the season, when he will then be out of contract.

Secondly, you missed off Danny

:)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Don't agree with this, Neal. He is not ready for league football yet and he has wasted a year of his football career by signing for the Gulls. He would have been better off playing in reserve team football for a bigger club to gain more experience. I reckon he could be quite a decent player in a couple of years.