Hartlepool United v Torquay United - 1/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Just looking at league position means nothing this year. The table is too tight. Plymouth (on the cusp of the playoffs) are ten points above Wycombe (in grave danger of going down). There are about 20 teams in the division this year who are all exactly equal in terms of ability. What separates us is other things. In another year, it could be us who found the loanee striker or getting all the penalties or whatever such takes us up without us being any better than the side in 23rd etc.

Note often than not, we're getting beaten by the odd goal, we're not getting hammered every week. No, we're not a good side, but we aren't especially worse than any one of about a dozen teams immediately above us.

It'll take a miracle, but if something clicks this week and one of our strikers finds his shooting boots, we could well escape.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Bombed it back as I've got to go out but again but post more later if I can. The atmosphere was tremendous today. A small group of us and a few others singing for much of the entire game non stop. The players got absolutely unbelievable support today and bar a few shouts borne of frustration the fans were immense. This set of players are an absolute **** disgrace and should hang their heads. Must win game? Well someone should have told those **** out on the field. Total unmitigated disaster areas the lot of them. If you think this set of players will keep us up then do as you please. We haven't a hope in hell. Slow, turgid, lack of application, desire, passion, commitment. We created the sum of zero. No chances to speak of and we made a bang average side look like Brazil. We are an absolutely appalling football team with players who either just do no give a **** or are totally shit. Shuwunmi? Did he actually play? Stevens - big mistake. Nothing at all from the front guys. Downes and Pearce were the best players and my mates pet hamster could have played better so it gives you an indication. It's still possible mathematically but the players just don't give a shit and can have no complaints about the support today which was immense given the numbers and the distances involved for some. The club should respectfully give us our ticket money back and then start preparing for the conference because this is it. We've gone. **** appalling today and I am disgusted.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

In the end it just became gallows singing and humour as we were that bad. At one point we all turned around to look at the metal fence behind us and sang, "watching this fence - is better than this". It was.

Strangely I had a really good laugh today with those who I stood with. Real bottom of the barrel laugh or cry songs and humour. We needed it because those on the pitch gave us **** all to work with.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: look, he knew which players were here when he took the job.

you have also appeared to overlook the fact that he has also brought in some shocking players in on loan - some of which never even played!
I'd be surprised if he didn't know the players before he came here but, for example, Hawley? Think id rather have Atieno!

Knill signed a couple of crap loanees, McCourt and Azeez but his permenant ones have summed up out position

Hargreaves needs to be allowed a clear out to be judged
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Staying over in Hartlepool tonight so here's my two cents before I get the chance to forget everything tonight.

First of all, a huge thank you to the Torquay fans who completely outsung the Hartlepool fans, even at 3-0 down. They were silent all game. To those in the clubhouse before kick-off, thank you for providing a great atmosphere, even if it was gallows humour. Certainly the highlight of this afternoon.

As for the game, well, first half, I felt we were the better team, just typical we would fall 1-0 down. Second half was a complete non event. We had to score and we didn't and we just rolled over.

What really pissed me off was at full time, 4 players (Poke, Chappel, Downes and Nicho) were the only players to clap the fans. Not even Hargreaves came over. At least show your appreciation for the fans who have made the long journey to watch this pile of sh*t!

I waited with a friend for them all to come out and Nicho, Downes and Poke looked distraught. They care whereas some of the others couldn't have given a sh*t.

Had a quick chat with Hargreaves and he says thank you to all who made the journey and to keep the faith. It's not over yet, but by god, it's close
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

If the players don't give a s*** why should we?
Well done to those who went today, we're doomed now so Gallows humour is the order of the day for every game from now on in.

If we're gonna go down, lets go down laughing :~D
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Yawn..............
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

What absolute tripe you've written there, Andy. So much so that I've ended my self-exile from this site to put a few things right.

I take it you and your comrades were watching the fence or doing that stupid Poznan when Benyon fluffed three chances from inside the box? Hartlepool won because they were more clinical in front of goal. We created just as many - if not more - opportunities to score but once again couldn't hit a barn door.

Up until the third goal, I thought we actually looked the better side (finishing excluded). We were tidy in possession, the full-backs pushed up and Showunmi had a decent debut - held the ball up and linked well with Benyon. The latter had two excellent first-half chances but converted neither and we were punished at the other end after failing to clear our lines. Second goal after the interval came straight from a corner (why no man on the line?) and the third when Downes mistimed a tackle and Harewood went through with all the time in the world. But 'apart' from picking the ball out of his net three times, Poke didn't have much to do.

Benyon had another golden chance but didn't trust his left foot and also had a penalty appeal turned down when rounding Flinders, although I think he was looking for it as he had lost control of the ball. Once it went 3-0, Hargreaves took the front two off and ended any hope of us scoring a consolation because Stockley looks like he runs in cement and Chappell has lost his confidence.

Pearce was my MOTM but I also thought Nicholson, O'Connor, Lathrope and Showunmi had good games. Stevens-bashers will be delighted to hear he was our worst player and also partly responsible for the first goal as he hesitated inside our own box when he should have just cleared. Poke not at fault for the goals, Downes got caught out with a couple of through balls, Harding decent first half but struggled as game went on, Goodwin always positive but no end product and Benyon wasteful but a menace. Cameron was the most lively of our subs.

First-half atmosphere was excellent but the group at the back turned on the players/manager when the goals went in. Quite embarrassing really with some cringeworthy chants ('We want our money back' etc). What irks me is when supporters accuse our players of lacking passion. We didn't lose today because of lack of effort - we lost because we're just not very good. But keep singing that dreadful 'Loyal supporters' song if it makes you feel more important.

Sorry didn't mean to rant. Just in a bad mood.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Back in Donny now. Bloody hell, I've done about 500 miles today all in from 8am to get sorted for Hartlepool and I've just got settled down now. I'm shagged out so God know what those heading back to Devon feel.

Anyway the highlighted but is important because I waited until the end too and clapped them off and shouted heads up to Downesy and a couple of others and screamed at them that there is always next week. In all honesty, the ones that bothered to come and acknowledge looked totally dejected. Not seen that for a long time, The belief just isn't there from the players and it stank the air out it was that obvious. When you have loanees who don't give a toss and players like Harding who just basically jockeyed fresh air for 90 minutes and left gaps so wide that the Titanic could fit through them then it just beggars belief. I know he is not long back from injury but he is back to his old self. Just runs about looking pretty and doing **** all. Christ knows why we signed him.

We might win one or two more before the season is out but so might the teams above meaning we'll never catch up. Today I interpreted things as I saw the players just had no belief that the situation was rescuable and in all honesty those who didn't come over to clap are just the kind of cowards we have in our ranks. They were frightened of getting abuse which didn't happen anyway. We know who at least tried for us today and who didn't and the ones who didn't know who they are too and if they reading this they please piss off and let us get back to having players with some integrity and self respect so we can give THEM the support they deserve.

We have no leaders, we have no midfield, we have no strikers, we have no belief and we have no chance. I have a ticket for the home game with Newport which I will probably have to give away so anyone interested then let me know and i'll see what I can do. There is no way I'm going to watch that shower of absolute pus filled diseased riddled open lesions again this season. I was going to go to York even if we were down but now they can go and whistle. I was going to go to Mansfield too as it is only 20 minutes away but you know what. I really cannot be arsed to waste any more time and money on this squad of absolutely abysmal excuses for footballers and in many cases human beings. I sit in nearly in tears because I **** love this club and matchdays I live for but I can't handle this absolute bollocks anymore.

I will wait until next season when half of this septic squad have been shipped out and maybe then we will have a core of decent players we already have added to some newbies who want to start our new adventure. I am as excited as ever for next season whatever league we are in but for now. I can't support 80% of these players. They are laughing in my face and all respect and support I had for them has been extuinguished by what I saw today. Heartbreaking.

So we've had 4 must win games on the spin and won none and not even looked like winning any. If anyone believes we will escape then please go to the bookies and put £500 on us staying up and then show me the slip. Otherwise be honest with yourself and do the decent thing and admit it.

Had a quick chat with Hargreaves and he says thank you to all who made the journey and to keep the faith. It's not over yet, but by god, it's close[/quote]
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

The Torquay fans who were there today I thought were a credit to the club. Do most of us think we're going down? Yes. Is it wrong to cheer ourselves up with gallows humour at 3-0 down? No.

We've traveled 300+ miles to be here today and I know I had a good laugh with those in the back row.

As for the "we want our money back" chant, some people would have paid £25 for a ticket today, plus travel expenses. I chanted it more in frustration and I know others did too.

I started a lot of chants today and if anyone had any offence with them I'm sorry, but make no mistake, I will support this club until the very end. And I know despite the result, the humour in the crowd was the highlight of my day.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

You know what, I'm not apologising any more. Tommy, you are entitled to your opinion and if my post made you act and get your opinions across when previously you hadn't then that's great because it adds to the debate and interaction between fans on here. You won't be surprised to know that I disagree with much of what you have written but each to their own. I know hoe much full support I ALWAYS give my club in the main at matches and therefore that is why I take your comments about the 'group of back' with a pinch of salt. Sure there were the odd daft repetitive chant and mostly good supportive songs even when the 2nd went in. I trust you also joined in with the combined effort to support the lads then yes?

I'm in a bad mood too as I'm sure most other Torquay fans are tonight. I'm sure if we were Millwall fans today then the players out on the pitch would have got more than the occasional derogatory chant. I think under the circumstances the group conducted themselves really well and with good humour. That is what some people seem to lack. So we're immature at the footy and tried to enjoy ourselves despite the poo on the pitch. Yes we dis the 'stupid' Poznan and you know what? I **** well enjoyed myself doing it and the others enjoyed themselves doing it and we have noi regrets I'm sure. We spent hard earned money like you did going to the game and just because you don't see the point in doing it then it doesn't mean we have to adhere to unwritten borefest Torquay rules just to please others. You didn't do the Poznan but that doesn't make you less of a fan than us, we did it but that doesn't make YOU a better fan than us.

I not once turned on our players. I shouted encouragement to Pearce, Poke, Downes, Benyon, Nico and others on a consistant basis throughout but you just lump us all together as one if it makes you feel better. One of us shouted something you don't agree with so we're all morons. Jesus Christ. You couldn't make it up!

If anyone on here wants to believe what I've written is tripe, and they probably will, then that's fine. I know what I saw and it wasn't good at all. I'd like to know what clearcut scoring opportunities you thought we made because barring a first half scramble when someone lost their footing and missed from 6 yards all I saw was a few long shots and weak headers off target.

Say what you like and believe what you like. I really don't care anymore.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

A big well done and respect to ALL of you who went today. Bloody hell you deserve a massive thank you from the club. Well said Andy, from the heart, and yes totally agree 80% of this squad are not league 2 or even conference standard.
TUST MEMBER
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Torquay team coach broken down on the way back apparently.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

You don't need to apologise for voicing your opinion, Andy.

Benyon had three chances. The first from six yards after Flinders parried O'Connor's shot but he couldn't adjust his feet in time when he had the goal at his mercy. The second was from Showunmi's cut-back which Flinders turned over. The third was in front of us when he spinned past the defender and had a free shot with his left foot, but instead cut back on his right and his effort was then blocked.

As I said, I enjoyed the atmosphere in the first half but felt some of the negative chants went on too long towards the end. Each to their own. I thought it was a good turnout considering the distance and our league position.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Tommy - noone is delighted that Stevens played badly, but what would anyone actually expect? - he hasn't played any football for a year, so he hardly going to make any impact. Same with Harding - is it any wonder he faded, he hasn't played for six months.
The blame lies with Hargreaves pure and simples. Having TWO midfielders who are so lacking in match practice was tantamount to handing three points to the opposition.
In our position that is nothing short of scandalous. I know we were missing Mansell and Labadie but surely the answer would have been to have recalled Craig and played him instead of Stevens.
Apparently their player who scored with the header was five foot nine.
We are a bunch of spineless no hopers led by captain calamity who hasn't got a clue.