If you were the gaffer....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

EddUK12 wrote:also i would give about 1500 ticktes to local schools. the kids will eat loads (spending money) it will introduce a new generation to tufc and it will put bums on seats which would be empty.
I'm really not sure how many more times I'm going to have to tell you that this isn't the case before you believe it.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

ferrarilover wrote: I'm really not sure how many more times I'm going to have to tell you that this isn't the case before you believe it.

Matt.
Yes, if it was that easy we'd do it every week.

If we do win tomorrow I'd like the club do something with a ticket promotion as we need the fans now more than ever
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

EddUK12 wrote:also i would give about 1500 ticktes to local schools. the kids will eat loads (spending money) it will introduce a new generation to tufc and it will put bums on seats which would be empty.
EddUK - why do you hate children? Why would you punish 1500 kids by making them watch the current Torquay Utd side ?? But seriously ...... it's not a bad idea - just not sure what the 'take up' would be. Exeter have, or did have, a 'Kids for a Quid' scheme which was fairly successful by all reports. I bet that most Forum members started off as Gulls fans when they were schoolkids.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Mine isn't an opinion, mine is actual knowledge. Believe it or not, it is possible for other people to know stuff that you do not. This is one such occasion. I don't **** care if you believe me or not, that doesn't change the truth of my (repeated) statement that your big idea of getting in 1000s of kids simply won't work.

Matt.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote:Mine isn't an opinion, mine is actual knowledge. Believe it or not, it is possible for other people to know stuff that you do not. This is one such occasion. I don't f**king care if you believe me or not, that doesn't change the truth of my (repeated) statement that your big idea of getting in 1000s of kids simply won't work. Matt.
Err ....... Kids for a Quid certainly worked at Exeter (although I admit I'm not sure if this initiative is still in place) so why shouldn't a similar scheme work at Plainmoor? As far as I know, it hasn't been tried ..... It would also save me a fiver each match when I take my grandson. And yes ..... he likes a drink and/or chips at half time. Yes I know ..... he's bliddy well spoiled !!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

None of you could muster 100 IQ points between you.

We do give out tickets. Kids don't give a ****. The kids you see at games are the ones who took up the offer. We sent hundreds to Westlands and about 6 were taken.

Quite how neither of you managed to infer that from my previous postings on the subject baffles me.

Matt.

I like Tomo, so I'll pretend I'm not including him in this jolly mean spirited post. Edd, on the other hand...
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

You could throw in a fiver with the free tickets and it wouldn't make any difference. The only thing that will increase crowds significantly is a winning team.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote:None of you could muster 100 IQ points between you.

We do give out tickets. Kids don't give a f***. The kids you see at games are the ones who took up the offer. We sent hundreds to Westlands and about 6 were taken.

Quite how neither of you managed to infer that from my previous postings on the subject baffles me.
Matt.
Actually, Matt, you touch on a trend that I think could be of great concern to lower league sides in the not too distant future. My grandson goes to football training on Tuesday nights. When Torquay have a Tuesday night game he leaves early so that we can get to Plainmoor before kick off. Of sixteen or so soccer mad 13 year olds, he is the only one who regularly goes to United matches and in fact has been ridiculed once or twice for supporting (quote) 'a crap division 2 team'. I suspect most of those lads would have difficulty in naming a Gulls player ..... but ask them about the Premiership and they will be able to reel off the myriad of foreign names without any bother. Like you, I have very little interest in the Premiership but it bothers me that it now dominates English football to such an extent that young lads have more interest in a team hundreds of miles away, who they've probably never seen play live, than their local team.

So with that in mind, maybe that's why there's been little take up on the free tickets. Very worrying.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

tomogull wrote: Actually, Matt, you touch on a trend that I think could be of great concern to lower league sides in the not too distant future. My grandson goes to football training on Tuesday nights. When Torquay have a Tuesday night game he leaves early so that we can get to Plainmoor before kick off. Of sixteen or so soccer mad 13 year olds, he is the only one who regularly goes to United matches and in fact has been ridiculed once or twice for supporting (quote) 'a crap division 2 team'. I suspect most of those lads would have difficulty in naming a Gulls player ..... but ask them about the Premiership and they will be able to reel off the myriad of foreign names without any bother. Like you, I have very little interest in the Premiership but it bothers me that it now dominates English football to such an extent that young lads have more interest in a team hundreds of miles away, who they've probably never seen play live, than their local team.

So with that in mind, maybe that's why there's been little take up on the free tickets. Very worrying.
We've all seen the myriad of football colours walking around the area. In fact it's a novelty seeing someone wear TUFC attire away from Plainmoor on a non football day. There appears to be no appetite to support the local club anymore.

My son (who is 11) always supported Torquay until he got picked on for supporting a league 2 team. He then caved in to peer pressure and went through a phase of supporting Manure. He was bought the shirts, bed linen, scarfs etc, i.e. all the gear that his mates had. Over time, I have reconverted him back to love TUFC and is now a season ticket holder along with his good old Dad :~D .

Without having more local support coming through the doors, the club is always going to struggle both on and off the pitch. There's no easy answers to this I'm afraid.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Tomo and Mr Best-Name-On-The-Forum have got it right. I've got a mate who loves football. He's from Devon but he's an Arsenal fan. He thinks that I go to watch a pub side every Saturday. This is the problem, it's the Tim Lovejoy attitude. Any side outside the top 4 in the Premier League isn't worth knowing anything about.
We've seen it this season with Man Utd. Ordinarily, Sky show every single United game. MOTD stick them on first and talk about them endlessly. This year, they drop to 7th place and I can't find anyone who can even remember that Manchester has two clubs.

Supporting Torquay isn't cool and being cool is hugely important to kids (despite the fact that they're all achingly uncool).

I'm not really sure anything can be done. I've tried to convince the club to send players into schools, but it never seems to materialise. I think that might make a difference. Show them that our lads can do all the flicks and tricks that they see on TV from Ronaldo and Ibra every week. That'll make them cool and we'll reap the rewards (although they'll hardly be life changing).

Matt.
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

ferrarilover wrote:Tomo and Mr Best-Name-On-The-Forum have got it right. I've got a mate who loves football. He's from Devon but he's an Arsenal fan. He thinks that I go to watch a pub side every Saturday. This is the problem, it's the Tim Lovejoy attitude. Any side outside the top 4 in the Premier League isn't worth knowing anything about.
We've seen it this season with Man Utd. Ordinarily, Sky show every single United game. MOTD stick them on first and talk about them endlessly. This year, they drop to 7th place and I can't find anyone who can even remember that Manchester has two clubs.

Supporting Torquay isn't cool and being cool is hugely important to kids (despite the fact that they're all achingly uncool).

I'm not really sure anything can be done. I've tried to convince the club to send players into schools, but it never seems to materialise. I think that might make a difference. Show them that our lads can do all the flicks and tricks that they see on TV from Ronaldo and Ibra every week. That'll make them cool and we'll reap the rewards (although they'll hardly be life changing).

Matt.
Trust me, the way social media and TV brings up kids by the time they are 6 or 7 you cannot change the mind on what team they are going to support and most of the time it is a top 4 club . Luckily I have always supported Torquay. It is the lack of exposure from the club that means a very low amount of "kids" to the games. This issue needs to be sorted out at a primary school level. I could never convince my mates ( Secondary School) to come to Torquay as they already have an impression that is unlikely to change