Northampton Game OFF

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Its such fun to speculate, though Forever. :~D :)
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

diamondgirl wrote:Its such fun to speculate, though Forever. :~D :)
Hey Diamond me old mate, nothing wrong with a bit of speculation, I am often guilty of that :) Just can't see this happening, my pitch out abbrook park Kinsteignton was only built last year, because the new Chudliegh road has gone through the old one, it had proper drainage channels installed, which is some thing a lot local pitch's don't have, yesterday at 4pm the left flank and one penalty area was under water, despite it being mainly dry today some areas are still under water.

Ok Torquay have professional ground staff, and the pitch is a little bit more state of the art that ours, but a pitch can only hold so much water, and that's going be the problem, the rain that falls tonight is going have no where to go, so it will just sit on the top.

Frustrating, because if there's ever going to be a good time to play Northampton, tomorrow is it. Still hoping for a miracle.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Do we have any covers?

If we could protect against tonights rain we would probably be okay!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Sounds more positive from the TUFC groundstaff on twitter. They have covered as much as they can and paid special attention to the worst areas. Heavy rain overnight and its a done deal but if its not too bad it could still be on.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Richinns wrote:Sounds more positive from the TUFC groundstaff on twitter. They have covered as much as they can and paid special attention to the worst areas. Heavy rain overnight and its a done deal but if its not too bad it could still be on.
Cheers for that Rich :-D

Hopefully the covers do their job and the rain stays away!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

That doesn't surprise me, this is such an important game, the club and staff were always going to give it the best chance of getting the game on, even if it means us getting hit for Northampton's expenses for the re-scheduled game.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

forevertufc wrote:That doesn't surprise me, this is such an important game, the club and staff were always going to give it the best chance of getting the game on, even if it means us getting hit for Northampton's expenses for the re-scheduled game.
Exactly, Dave.

Both from the Board's perspective and the Management team it is important to try everything possible to get this game on.

I would imagine that if the game does go ahead we could be looking at a pretty decent crowd, given the fact that it's Greavsie's first game, the fact we won last week, the fact it truly is a 6 pointer if there ever was such a thing and actually the likelihood that there isn't much chance of much football being played locally (which usually adds a few hundred to the gate) will all combine to make this a well supported game. I would imagine there might be quite a decent amount in the away end too, given the importance of this match. Of course, if it ends up being re scheduled for a Tuesday night in February then most of the above won't apply and I would imagine you could knock a 1000 off the gate quite easily.

I am sure both the management and the players will also be keen to get it on as well given the lift that the result last week gave everyone and of course if it is doesn't get played tomorrow AND Oxford win their FA Cup replay there is the scenario where we won't have played a match for three weeks by the time the next one comes around and not only that but one or two of our loanees may also be coming to the end of their stay with us.

Fingers crossed the weather overnight and during the day tomorrow isn't quite so bad as the forecast leads us to believe!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

CP Gull wrote:if it is doesn't get played tomorrow AND Oxford win their FA Cup replay there is the scenario where we won't have played a match for three weeks

:O I'm concerned, it will mean fannying about Fanny Stevens is fit enough to make his unjustified second debut.

:@
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Forever me old mate. Not really looking too good, I have to be honest. Pity 'cause I think it would be a good time to be playing a "6" pointer. Still yer never know, they might have got it wrong.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Indeed Northampton haven't as we all know sorted out their manager situation, also they are rumoured to be chasing the permanent signing of Michael Smith from Charlton, 3-4 weeks down the line, they may have some stability and be a completely different prospect to play against.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Same applies to us, they will be dreading it if our revival is real
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Unfortunately it looks like the club is in a no win situation. I've just seen the weather forecast and its showing persistent rain blowing in from Northern France from about 0100 onwards, with up to 30mm in places. If the pitch is sodden already, with that on its way you might as well call it off now.

But what if the storm blows itself out in the Channel? Or the worst of it bypasses Plainmoor? Well, then you say wait until midday to give it a fair chance. Then, of course, if the game does get called off we'll get the barrage of abuse from Cobblers fans for calling it off too late.

So you either call it off the day before based on the forecast, and risk the forecast being wrong and missing out on a Saturday game on a perfectly playable pitch. Or you wait until the day of the game to see what the weather brings, but run the risk of a late postponement.

I don't know what I would do if I was in charge. Unfortunately a common sense view of the situation and logistics goes out the window when a game gets postponed late and we end up with all sorts of mud slinging
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

The club should give the game every chance to go ahead. If the pitch is already suitably bad that the game won't go ahead regardless of the over-night weather, of course it should be called off now. But if it is dependant on the weather tonight and tomorrow am, then the latest possible decision is the right course of action.

Fans that are travelling in such circumstances should know they are doing so with the chance of a fruitless journey. If they're not happy with that risk, stay home. If they are prepared to take the risk, don't cry foul if it backfires.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

forevertufc wrote:Indeed Northampton haven't as we all know sorted out their manager situation, also they are rumoured to be chasing the permanent signing of Michael Smith from Charlton, 3-4 weeks down the line, they may have some stability and be a completely different prospect to play against.
This is the prick who's been at Wombles all year, scored about 18000 goals? He'd cost half a million.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Anyone travelling from Northampton for this game is stark raving mad because the game is going to be off