Greavsie and Lee Hodges it is then ...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Gord so many threads don't know where to post. Ok, happy with that, sensible long term appointment, would have needed a 2 year big bucks contract to get a so called big name manager, with no guarantee of staying in league, that could have spelt disaster.

Greavsie and Hodges need backing from the club and it's fans, unity is now the only way forward.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

[youtube]qh1_adb1x7E[/youtube]
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

This is a brave decision by the Board and after some of the unwarranted 'stick' on here last week, let's give the Board a bit of credit for moving quickly to fill the post. Personally, I would have preferred someone with managerial experience in view of our perilous position but I have no quarrel with Hargreaves and Hodges appointments. Both good professionals who were popular at Plainmoor as players. Let's hope they can 'cut the mustard' on the managerial side of things. Lee Hodges has had managerial experience at Truro of course - a tough baptism if ever there was one. Soooo ...... onwards and UPWARDS !!! :scarf:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote:Would have liked an experienced assistant/DOF like Sturrock or someone, but Hodges (Lee) has a successful managerial start behind him, so it could be a lot worse.

Bill Phillips said he was first choice. The players who played with CH, is an issue, but it was one Phillips feel CH can deal with.

It offers a sense of these are TQY people and I think everyone will be pulling in the right direction. I wish CH and LH the best of luck and I suspect everyone will be behind them. Like someone else mentioned - possibly CPGull - if they go down, I think they need to persist with him next season - this is a gamble but one they need to see through.
Yes he has to have the full support of everybody. That is what we are after all .... supporters. He must need his head reading taking this job, but he had more than one option so he must have thought about it. Would not have been my choice but now that he is here am looking forward to his undoubted enthusiasm and motivational skills getting us out of this mess. Onwards and upwards. Well in our situation there really is only one direction! ;-)
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Do we have to pay Bournemouth compo? Perfect man, plenty of ambition and energy
Lucy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

tomogull wrote:This is a brave decision by the Board and after some of the unwarranted 'stick' on here last week, let's give the Board a bit of credit for moving quickly to fill the post.
Unwarranted eh? Depends on who you listen to I guess. See if you still feel it's unwarranted at the end of the season.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Nick wrote:[youtube]qh1_adb1x7E[/youtube]
Fantastic memories. One of those 'I was there' moments. Hopefully there will be plenty more to come.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Nick wrote:[youtube]qh1_adb1x7E[/youtube]

"Hargreaves, chance for TORQUUUUUUUAY!!!!!!!!!"
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

lucy6lucy wrote:Do we have to pay Bournemouth compo? Perfect man, plenty of ambition and energy
As far as I know, we don't.

They've probably crossed off some of the additional payments for EoK (if there were any more..).
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Southampton Gull wrote: Unwarranted eh? Depends on who you listen to I guess. See if you still feel it's unwarranted at the end of the season.
Yes - time will tell of course. But you know what they say, Dave ..... put up of shut up ! I wouldn't want to be a member of the Board of a Div 2 club like Torquay for all the proverbial tea in China. Would you ?? I think anyone who becomes a member of the Board of the likes of Torquay Utd must either (a) be totally committed to the club or (b) bonkers ! We'll have a chat at the end of the season! :-/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Depends on whether you actually had to pay anything to get on there in the first place I suppose.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

lucy6lucy wrote:Do we have to pay Bournemouth compo? Perfect man, plenty of ambition and energy
Apparently not, at least according to the twitter feed of the Bournemouth Echo sports reporter!

Fair enough really, given that they "stole" EOK off us for a measly £175k! A move engineered by ..... now who was it, that long haired fella who used to play for us, name escapes me now.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Happy overall

Hodges did a fantastic job on a very small budget for Truro, although this is a step up he does have great experience as a player at this level and slightly above.

Hargreaves IMO will be a great man manager at exactly what is missing from the Knill era.

In all honesty I think we have a good squad here which is far better than the position we sit so if we can get them motivated and organised and add someone who can stick the chances away more regularly then hopefully things will turn out ok this year and better times ahead.

One thing is for certain - if Jesus manages like he plays then anything less than 100% will not be accepted.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

I'm really pleased about the announcement and am feeling really positive that Greavsie and Hodges can instil some belief and team spirit into the players. Well done to the board as well, who have acted quickly to replace Knill. I think it was the right approach to do so.

For the first time in a couple of months, I can say that I am now looking forward to the rest of the season.

Onwards and upwards.

Greavsie's Yellow Army :scarf:
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Pleased with the appointment and with Hodges as no.2. Given that he was still under contract at Bournemouth and considering our financial position of late I would be very interested to know how his contract was settled down there but I suppose we will never know! My first choice like others would have been to have an 'older' head like Sturrock on board, however it would have been disappointing to have done that and lost CH to Northampton. I do have concerns about former teammates particularly as I feel Nicholson and Mansell's prolonged stay at Plainmoor hasn't always had the desired effect on results in my opinion but I'm sure Hargreaves will deal with things in the proper manner including when it comes to deciding who will stay and who will go at the end of the season.

This is an appointment for now and for the future regardless of what division we find ourselves in next year. That has to be the case with Chris and rightly so. Having said that for him the season starts now, if we can drive us to league football again next year as he did at Wembley, it will be just as big an achievement if not bigger! I understand there is a press conference tomorrow - not sure if anyone has posted this but I've just seen it myself -
The original taunton_gull!!!