Rene off

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

If all we represent to Rene is a 'safety net', then how hard is he really going to try? If we are his best option because we are his only option, he isn't a player I want at the club.
He's out to get as much money as he can and he doesn't care what else comes with it. The club have been more than fair to him, time for him to reciprocate one way or another.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Do we all know he doesn't want to stay?
TUST number 080
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Lloyder5 wrote:Do we all know he doesn't want to stay?
YES OTHERWISE HE'D HAVE F*CKING SIGNED ALREADY!!!! JEEZ!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Absolutely, and it's what Ryan Jarvis felt and what few of the others are thinking. No one has actually signed their contract offers and a few of them are talking to other clubs.

Jarvis was offered something so he had the backup of knowing well if I can't find anything else then i've got a year at Torquay for me. That's what ALL of our players think, 'the club' means nothing to footballers, it's a job and the lack of security it brings means that if you are offered better terms in either money or more importantly length of contract at League 2 level you are nuts not to take it. Rene has been offered a good cotnract by our standards because we want to keep him, if he doesn't want to take that and can get better elsewhere good luck to him. he's a good player that in the right team could be a big asset at this level or at League 1 level. It's a short career and you've got to make the most of it, again it is no one's ambition to play for Torquay. Players don't see our club like we do.

Mansell and Nicholson would both be gone if someone said here you go lads he's a 5 year contract on double your money to come and play for us at southend or somewhere. Loyalty is a bogus word in football, will we continue to give Manse or Nicho contracts when they are 34/35 because well they've been loyal to us? No we won't.

He probably won't re-sign for us in the same way Ellis didn't because there is a good chance he'll get a better deal elsewhere. Until we attract more supporters, make more money and have a better football team we will always lose our better players.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

royalgull wrote:Absolutely, and it's what Ryan Jarvis felt and what few of the others are thinking. No one has actually signed their contract offers and a few of them are talking to other clubs.
Jarvis was offered something so he had the backup of knowing well if I can't find anything else then i've got a year at Torquay for me. That's what ALL of our players think, 'the club' means nothing to footballers, it's a job and the lack of security it brings means that if you are offered better terms in either money or more importantly length of contract at League 2 level you are nuts not to take it. Rene has been offered a good cotnract by our standards because we want to keep him, if he doesn't want to take that and can get better elsewhere good luck to him. he's a good player that in the right team could be a big asset at this level or at League 1 level. It's a short career and you've got to make the most of it, again it is no one's ambition to play for Torquay. Players don't see our club like we do.

Mansell and Nicholson would both be gone if someone said here you go lads he's a 5 year contract on double your money to come and play for us at southend or somewhere. Loyalty is a bogus word in football, will we continue to give Manse or Nicho contracts when they are 34/35 because well they've been loyal to us? No we won't.

He probably won't re-sign for us in the same way Ellis didn't because there is a good chance he'll get a better deal elsewhere. Until we attract more supporters, make more money and have a better football team we will always lose our better players.
Yes but Jarvo hadn't had his contract offer on the table since Christmas did he? If it takes 6 months to still not have signed a contract i think it's a pretty good indication of whether a player wants to stay at the club or not.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Rene would have been a prize idiot for signing a contract 6 months ago at Torquay and not even seeing what else was out there for him at the end of the season. Rene signs a deal with Torquay for 2 years 6 months ago and misses out potentially on a League 1 club for 3 years on double that salary. You see why he couldn't sign that deal 6 months ago?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

royalgull wrote:Absolutely, and it's what Ryan Jarvis felt and what few of the others are thinking. No one has actually signed their contract offers and a few of them are talking to other clubs.

All this is absolutely correct Royal but is not the point i'm trying to make. I'm unhappy at the way he is seemingly taking us for a ride. All i want is Alan to nail down the players he wants in the current squad asap so he can get his head down searching for the players needed to make up the rest of the squad. I don't doubt that he is doing this as we speak but these pathetic protracted stand-offs like the one with Rene are laughable. Christ it's like some footballers brains have become so small from letting other people take over their affairs that they have lost the ability to think for themselves!! Do you like Torquay and the cash on offer to stay Rene or not? If he's struggling with a question like that then probably best that football is his profession and not medicine or being a cleaner.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

There is no stand off, I am fairly certain Knill would have said to Rene this is our offer, I need to know by.............. Rene is testing the water seeing what else is on offer (there was still a L2 match taking place this weekend so its very early days), there may be nothing better for him and he may think actually I'd rather be at TUFC. I hope that's his answer, if it isn't then fair play good luck to him and we'll move on. It would free up a significant amount of money to bolster the squad but there will be regular contact between player and manager almost certainly.

i would say if he looks at other clubs and what they have to say and then decides to stay at Torquay that would say how much he would really like to be here! Similar to Roberto Martinez a couple of seasons ago, out of contract, Villa or Liverpool? spoke to both, stayed at Wigan.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

we all want what is best for Torquay United, Rene wants what is best for Rene. can we really blame him for that ?? how many of you have been offered a new job, handed in your notice at work, only to withdraw your resignation when you got offered more money to stay ?? it happens.

don't get me wrong, i'm on the "best for TUFC" side of things, and want to see a decision ASAP, but i don't think it's necessary for any nastiness towards him on here. he's done his bit for us, and carried the team on many occasions. He did well for Martin Ling, possibly suiting the type of football Ling played. I think we saw under Knill, he wasn't the big superstar of the team any more, and won't be if he sticks around next season. he's replaceable, even though good strikers are hard to come by in league 2, and we will replace him. Benners barely got a kick of the ball elsewhere, yet most of us would welcome him back because he shows that desire for the team that Rene sometimes lacked. so it's not always about talent (i'm not saying benners lacks talent, i'm just saying you don't get by on that alone).

yes it would be nice to keep him if he wanted to stay, and had the enthusiasm and drive to do his best for us. if that's gone, and it appears to be the case, i wish him well, but he should pick his new club and go.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

royalgull wrote:Rene would have been a prize idiot for signing a contract 6 months ago at Torquay and not even seeing what else was out there for him at the end of the season. Rene signs a deal with Torquay for 2 years 6 months ago and misses out potentially on a League 1 club for 3 years on double that salary. You see why he couldn't sign that deal 6 months ago?
So what you're saying is that he doesn't WANT to stay then which is kind of the point i was trying to get across. It doesn't matter about anything else because he clearly does not WANT to play for us anymore. It's irrelavent if Real Madrid came in for him at 100k a week because if he WANTED to stay then he would have signed at Christmas. He didn't because he wants to see what other clubs come in for him in the summer meaning he WANTS to play for someone else and he didn't sign because he wants to see how much more money he can get somewhere else meaning he isn't bothered about playing for us as he wants more money. No probs, just f*cking say that then in january and we can get on with our lives.
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 20 May 2013, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Barely any players in fact i'd say none really WANT to play for TUFC....once you get passed that then it's easy to understand why he'd have been an idiot to sign that deal then, for the precise reason you mention.

It was never going to be Real Madrid but like I said if a League 1 or better club in his mind comes in with a 3 year deal on double his money he'd be kicking himself.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I should be more flexible in my thinking as i've said and things aren't as black and white as i'd like them to be. I'm just explaining my views from what i would have done if i were Rene and based on my own personal set of values. I'm expecting other people to do the same and it's not going to happen and it's totally unreasonable to expect that so i accept i'm being harsh. I just don't see why some people have to make some things so difficult if you know your own mind then you know your own mind is what i believe. No messing about, life's too short.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

It's fair enough, in an ideal world all the players we want all want to sign for us and be here for as long as we want them to be. This is where sadly over time football has changed, the insecurity of football at our level is the worst it's ever been. Clubs are literally 1 bad season away from utter disaster and as such can't gamble on their futures handing out 2/3/4 year deals to players anymore without severe thought.

We're a small club even in this league, folk might get bored of that or might not like to hear it but it's fact. Exeter up the road get and have got over double our home gates and they aren't a particularly 'big' club at this level, yet they struggle for money.

i used Bradford as an example before as a 'big' club at this level, same league, no better off etc but they get 10,000 people a week, it means their budget is astronomial compared to ours, they can afford to give Rene lots more than we can without damaging themselves financially as much as we would. Oxford similarly. in recent years we've out performed both of these clubs but if someone gets it right there then they can go up the divisions because their fanbase and facilities will always mean they generate more money, which means they have bigger playing budgets which means they'll attract the better players and will have a better chance of being successful. It'll always be that much harder for us to do the same. It's not impossible but when we have our good seasons we have to go up. We aren't the sort of club that will have 5/6 years consistent top 7 finishes, we shop in the bargain basement bin and there are some rough diamonds in there to be found but along with that we'll always have some duds.

Again ideal world Rene signs a new contract with us and he gets us 20 next season, doubt it'll happen but he shouldn't be tarnished as some sort of traitor if he doesn't. he'll just join a long list of players that we've taken on when they needed us and we needed them and we've improved them to the point that their careers are back on track and they've done well for us. We should be proud of that in a way.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

YES OTHERWISE HE'D HAVE F*CKING SIGNED ALREADY!!!! JEEZ!!

As others have said it is a bit more complicated. I am a loyal employee and do my best for my employer but if I had a better offer I would take it. You need to think around the issues you comment on in a bit more depth.
TUST number 080
northyorkshiregull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benyon

Post by northyorkshiregull »

Rene's carear will probably be over by the time he is 35. At the moment he is going to be coming up to the peak of his carear and so get the biggest wage offer that he will ever get. He also has a young family so support. So may be a few of you need to stop being so childish about him taking his time before he decides What's best for himself.