Retain or Release?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I'd like to think I would be able to wish Rene the best in his new club. I could manage that with Bournemouth and I could, albeit a bit grudgingly, with Pompey (mainly because I don't think they should be able to afford him, part of a real punishment for their financial shenanigans).

However, I couldn't manage to wish the best to Rene if he moves to Argyle, I really couldn't. :@
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I highly doubt it'll be Pompey, they now have 4 or 5 good quality strikers.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

cambgull wrote:I highly doubt it'll be Pompey, they now have 4 or 5 good quality strikers.
watch this space then ;-)
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Mav wrote:watch this space then ;-)
Well he'd be a complete idiot to join them. He won't play. Given the choice, are you going to play Howe or Patrick Agyemang? It would be Agyemang every time, similar build to Howe with more pace and more ability. He's then got Tom Craddock to compete with and have they still got Connelly? If they do, he hasn't got a hope in hell of regular football.

I don't actually really care where he goes, as long as his talent isn't being wasted when he's there. Moving to Pompey might as well be yet another death nail in his footballing career.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

I imagine he'll be comforted at the thought of 2-3k a week Luke!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

Has he signed for Argyle yet? :'(
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

If he signs for that lot it would be really taking the P. A club that cant pay for its own pitch can suddenly pay a few grand a week on a player.
Disgusting.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I guess the one was caused by the other, Dutch.

He's not going to Portsmouth (apparently), their correspondent (for a national paper, can't recall which) Tweeted that they'd spoken to his agent all week but that Rene had turned down a 'contact he couldn't refuse' (yeah, confused me as well).

Bet he goes to Plymouth, get the impression he doesn't really like TUFC very much and I think it might give him a bit of a giggle to go there.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Am I right in thinking that if Rene is officially contracted with TUFC until June that he cannot sign for another club before this contract expires? This may explain why nothing is happening. He seems to find all this speculation about where he is going next season quite funny. Personally I find it a bit disrespectful. He posted on his twitter account yesterday, "Where am I off to today then?". I wish he would just either commit or move on, either way I don't mind but surely this must be affecting other plans!!
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

tauntongull wrote:Am I right in thinking that if Rene is officially contracted with TUFC until June that he cannot sign for another club before this contract expires? This may explain why nothing is happening. He seems to find all this speculation about where he is going next season quite funny. Personally I find it a bit disrespectful. He posted on his twitter account yesterday, "Where am I off to today then?". I wish he would just either commit or move on, either way I don't mind but surely this must be affecting other plans!!
Doesn't make any difference at all. I've been writing stories all week about players 'agreeing deals to sign for 'Team X' on July 1.' I'd imagine any delay is down to the number of offers his management has to plough through. And the chances of us being at the top of that list, at least in terms of wages, are somewhere around zero...maybe loyalty will have an effect, but I doubt it.

Like many others, I have just about written off the hope that Rene will be playing for us next season, but stranger things have happened (usually to us!)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Well if he is happy in the area then Plymouth would appear a logical choice, a bigger club certainly in terms of fanbase and potential, more money and he won't have to relocate. I personally don't care where he goes so long as he does. I think we need to move forward without Rene and i'm sure Knill will get it right in bringing in an attacker who could offer us just as much as Rene has but without the disciplinary issues and towel throwing when things aren't going well like these last 5 months at TUFC. People forget that last season we did well depsite the standard of football and this season up until about October we were doing ok although the standard of football was even worse. The second half of the season saw Rene experience his first real struggle at our club and when he was really relied upon to dig deep and keep committed he failed BIG TIME.

Rene Howe scored 6 goals in our last 33 league games, one a scuff against Cheltenham and 2 penalties and although he missed some of those games due to suspensions, the fact that he had so many suspensions when it got tough tells me that he is not what we now need at our club. Now tell me what an amazing player he is and that we can't do without him. I'm more than happy to be letting him go in all honesty. In times of trouble he didn't want to help us i don't feel.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

tauntongull wrote:Am I right in thinking that if Rene is officially contracted with TUFC until June that he cannot sign for another club before this contract expires?
A player, who's contract is up at the end of the season (June) is allowed to be in talks for an agreement to sign prior in January. It is only an agreement and will not be a player for that team until his current contract is up.

This can also include any deals where the player is under 24 and a tribunal takes places- these deals take longer to complete, but will not bother Rene as he is 26.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Cruise signs
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Overview updated. Just waiting on Downes, Saah and Howe to sort themselves out.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Also Rice and Yeoman but Saah and Downes seem to be looking for possible better offers elsewhere before committing.
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 33946.aspx