Conference Watch

General chat about anything else goes here.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I'm sure I watched a video on youtube where we won 6-1. Was that the game?

Congrats to Newport and welcome back to the Football League.[/quote]

Yes
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:COME ON WREXHAM TODAY!!! COME ON!!! ANOTHER SHORTISH AWAY GAME!! HAHAHAHOOOO!!!
Short for you maybe!! For me, a trip to Wrexham is like a trek to the North Pole, and then left at the polar bear. I am happy to see Newport come back into the League, a shortish trip from Devon!

I once, daftly, went for a job in Wrexham. I was shortlisted, but advised that, if I got the job, I would have to learn Welsh. I didn't go to the interview, as I would rather learn Serbo-Croat or Swahili.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Maybe i was a little hasty about Newport coming up. Sure the place is a total poohole but it's a new ground for me and on the map it's not too far from Gloucester so i'll go. I actually thought it was Port Talbot / Swansea way so was pleasantly surprised when i looked at the map to see where it was. I've got Mansfield up so i can't really have any complaints. :~D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

congrats to newport.

when i see the play-off final, it always takes me back to our moment in the sun. :clap:

seems like yesterday......

on the plus side, I could see them bringing a good fews fans to plainmoor.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Match against Newport will be the battle of the teams with Lotto winning Chairmen-though their benefactor is/was considerably richer;with a £45 million fortune to play with!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

According to today's Herald Express, Newport only had room for 589 away supporters at their ground,Rodney Parade,last season,but may try and push it up for the coming season.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

The ground has a 11,000 capacity for rugby games but County never bothered to apply for the safety certificates to get it above 5 thousand odd as they wouldn't need it. I expect they will do something about this in the summer.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Halifax won their play-off at the weekend so are back in the conference only 5 seasons after reforming, joining Chester who are back in only 3 seasons!

Great effort by both clubs.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Yep, let's hope they don't end up doing an Aldershot though. :-/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I think that's always a worry for clubs in that situation. They have years of repeated success charging up the leagues, but eventually they reach a plateau and I guess some of the enthusiasm starts to wane once you've finally acieved the goal of getting back where you "belong." Something AFC Wombles have also suffered from to a degree and Newport will have to guard against.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Jerry wrote:Halifax won their play-off at the weekend so are back in the conference only 5 seasons after reforming, joining Chester who are back in only 3 seasons!

Great effort by both clubs.

:clap:

Good to see two former Football League clubs on the way back up. Congratulations also to Salisbury who are back in Conference Premier.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Must say i'm pleased for them all too. Determination and organisation can see any group of fans create a phoenix club and have success. I'm so hoping it will be Scarborough Athletic's turn next. I'd love to see the old seadogs back.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Maybe i was a little hasty about Newport coming up. Sure the place is a total poohole but it's a new ground for me and on the map it's not too far from Gloucester so i'll go. I actually thought it was Port Talbot / Swansea way so was pleasantly surprised when i looked at the map to see where it was. I've got Mansfield up so i can't really have any complaints. :~D
In advance of our trip to Newport AFC. I can tell you they have now moved to the inner City. right next the the river across the river is the main railway station. It really must be the closest ground to a station in the league.
The ground belongs to the rugby club and is nice tidy place. it has one main stand on the side you generally arrive at. this is an older type wooden stand. it looks wonderful though. with a decorative fence to the front of the upper seated part. it really looks like a stand you might see in the park in front of a bandstand. but it's full of character. Away fans have to walk right past the stand and then turn left to walk down the back of the stadium to the away fans area. on entering the ground you will find your in the end of the brand new stand which goes the whole length of the pitch. The other end of the pitch has terracing across it which then bends round and goes a few yards down the the main stand which is not quite a length of the pitch. All facilities are on hand for away fans. with toilets. food cars and I think i saw TV's hanging from the ceiling. it's quite a nice experience there. I would be a little careful showing your colours around the town as Newport fans have quite a nasty reputation for violence for any reason. The town description is Newport, the town with Ugly girls and violent men. You are just across the river from the main town center where there is a variety of night life if your really adventurous. well if you like watching the gilrs pee on the pavement and boys knock seven bell out of each other. They make Johnny Bartlett look angelic. Cardydd is just as bad but we ain't going to be playing them anytime soon so it's Newport AFC for us.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Cheers for that GG, i'm looking forward to my trip there next season (so long as it's on a saturday). When you say it's the closest ground to a train station which is just across the river, i presume you CAN get across the river without needing a boat or a massive diversion? I might go on the train for a change if it's as close as you say mate.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Macc planning to move to a new stadium. Try half filling the one you have otherwise get a f*cking grip on reality for Christs sakes.