Retain or Release?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Fonda wrote:Somebody pick up the phone...

Hello? =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Ideal world I agree entirely with that yellowsmiffy but sadly one or two others (Nicho and Craig) are under contract for next year.

I made the point about Oastler last season, when we had the best GK in the lower leagues and one of the best defenses, it was clear he was the weakest link, has appalling positional sense and was a disaster waiting to happen. We were a little bit mroe exposed this year and his weaknesses were exposed that much more.

On what I've seen I prefer Leadbitter but there must be a reason he isn't getting picked, Ideally both would go but will we get another full back? i don't know.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I would definitely retain poster AndyBodinFan and hope he has come back from his holiday refreshed.

The events of the past couple of weeks has seen an upsurge of interest. Long may the controversial events continue.

It's also good to see many "newbies" and many well known campaigners contributing to the posting cause, rather than solely browsing.

:nod: :whip:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
yellowarmygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Andy Gurney
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowarmygull »

I always like a look at the PFA website at this time of year to see whos available!

http://www.thepfa.com/transferlist
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Marsh-Brown anyone? Out of contract according to the PFA website, 20 year old who was at Yeovil this season, scored the winning pen against us in the JPT and played against us for Barnet but didn't do a lot for them.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Personally I also think Oastler has had a poor season, but I have a feeling, based on the amount of action he has seen, his versatility and with age on his side he may be given another year by the club.

Assuming we release Lead bitter which seems likely in my opinion, I wouldn't mind Joe as back up Right Back next season. If we were looking for an experienced replacement then how about Kevin Amankwaah who can consider himself a little unfortunate to have been released by that lot up the road I reckon. It would also have the added benefit of upsetting a few Greeks quite a few of whom appear to disagree with the decision to release him ...

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread ... s-released
Last edited by CP Gull on 30 Apr 2013, 18:29, edited 3 times in total.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I agree with Yellowsmiffy, I'd rather like to see Zebroski back at Plainmoor.

Benyon too.

Aside from those two, I want whoever comes in as manager to go out and buy 2 or 3 stocky, mean, bast*rds at least over 6"2. We always seem to lack height.

Otherwise, I must admit to not being much of a Bodin fan, if someone came in for him I wouldn't be too fussed to ship him out, though I'm sure the chap who paid for him would.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Thought about Amankwaah the moment I saw he'd been released. What about Akinde, who we were rumoured to be interested in loaning? Not sure what his situation is, but he'd be a decent Rene replacement. Add these to Stanley, Benyon and Anyinsah and the squad is taking decent shape!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

I think Oastler is worth persisting with, maybe for another year. He had a terrific season last year by all accounts and, whilst he didn't quite live up to that this year, he's shown at times that he's still a very capable full back.

His performance up at Morecambe got him in the team of the week, and I have to say he really impressed me again against Rovers on Saturday.

He's got age on his side, there's definite potential there, and I don't think we'd realistically be able to get a lot better.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

mickyflash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by mickyflash »

While we're on the subject of former players returning, I see Chris Robertson has been made available for transfer at Preston.

While I think I would prefer to keep the partnership of Saah/Downes, he would most certainly do a job if this is not possible!

He would also make a much better Right back than Joe, and give us some extra height in the back but admitly is probably an expensive option
ChineseGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by ChineseGull »

Retain: Saah, Downes, Cruise, Howe, Jarvis, Yeoman

I considered Rice, Oastler and Morris but I just think there are better players out there.

Wishlist: Amankwaah, McDonald, Benyon.
Maxiboy
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Loram

Post by Maxiboy »

Saah, Downes, Jarvis and Howe for me, although wouldn't be upset with Morris, Stevens, and Thompson staying.
FishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Downes

Post by FishGull »

Right, here we go,

:-D I would attempt to sign the following players:
Rene- but he wont sign
Yeoman- give him another go as a reserve/impact striker
Danny Stevens- controversial but I dont think he's done anything wrong
Aaron Downes- typical league 2 CB
Saah- solid as a rock
Leadbitter- prefer him to Oastler at RB but he could also play on the wing?...
Oastler- can't see us getting anyone else of much better quality
Tom Cruise- prefer him to Nicho, comfortable on the ball and a decent (ish) defender
Martin Rice- a good enough back-up

:-/ I wouldn't mind offering a new contract to:
Macklin- I suppose he is a good sub but he needs a better attitude
Ian Morris- an experienced player but I wouldnt like him as a starter
Ryan Jarvis- not sure if he is a striker to start but he is a poacher so could come on from the bench

:( I would not offer a contract to:
Halpin- never showed potential to me
Easton- his career is over and he is now very sub-standard

I would also look to get rid of Mansell and Nicholson because they are only journeymen to me and I don't think they'll improve and I don't think they add a lot to the team. However, I cant see anybody wanting to sign them, nor can I see a manager having the goolies to get rid of these '"fan's favourites"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

FishGull wrote: I would also look to get rid of Mansell and Nicholson because they are only journeymen to me and I don't think they'll improve and I don't think they add a lot to the team. However, I cant see anybody wanting to sign them, nor can I see a manager having the goolies to get rid of these '"fan's favourites"
He would have to sell them as they are both under contract and, given you don't rate them, who would buy them and would we make any decent money?...

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com