Martin ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

forevertufc wrote:Would you re-new your season ticket if Lingy was not the manager ?
I honestly dont know.
It would probably depend on who the new manager was (would it be a young 1st timer desperate to succeed, possibly not long finished playing? Or someone who's been around a bit longer and had a bit of success and a bit of failure?) and the way they set their teams. I would likely take in the first few games paying on the gate and, if I enjoyed what I was seeing, would get a season ticket then.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

forevertufc wrote:Matt, remember the win away at Exeter was under Shaun Taylor, Lingy's last game was the home draw to Exeter.

You can use any little run of games and show relevant stats to prove a point, it's pointless, some plain facts here, current form is measured over 6 games, during Martin Lings last 6 games we won.0 can't argue with that.

Then if you do a little comparison between Lingy and Knilly.. :) Alan Knill has been incharge of Torquay for 13 games, won.4 drawn.3 lost.6 pts 15 of Martin Ling's last 13 games won.3 drawn.3 Lost. 7 pts 12. And Alan Knill produced these results with a team that had just lost 6 in a row under Taylor and was devoid of all confidence. The football come the end of Lingy's time was just dire end of.

Hector is spot on about the reason why we were at one point so close to the play-off's everybody in the division have been beating each other, Gillingham are Champions with 83pts, Vale could go up today with 77pts less than what got us to 5th last year, the gap between 3rd and 23rd is 26 pts pretty close considering 45 games have been played. A team could be relegated today just 16-19 pts from the play-offs, what does that tell anyone, what should it tell anyone. The fact that we were so close to the play-offs when Lingy went sick is utterly meaningless.

Anyway, as it stand there is no guarantee that Lingy will be back as our manager, it's not his decision to make it's the boards.
But he is coming back as our manager next week !!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote: Where we are now is not Dinger's fault, nor is it a fair reflection of his abilities as a manager. Blaming an absent Martin Ling for everything which has happened since he left is a bit like blaming Tony Blair for all the trouble we are in today (ok, bad analogy, it is the cash we have spunked on his unwinnable wars in the Middle East which we would now be using to pay for sh*t instead of borrowing it from the IMF, European Bank etc. Well done leftists, another fine mess...).
Matt.
Strange, I always thought Tony Blair (along with Gordon Brown) was on the right in politics and that his hero was Margaret Thatcher. These days there's very little difference between the political parties; even their leaders look very much alike.

Anyway Matt, UKIP if you want to, but we're agreed on one thing: Martin Ling for PM (permanent manager)..!! :~D
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Supergulls, I do not doubt you spoke to Martin Ling, and he clearly has told he is coming back next week, however we have just gone through a week leading up to one of the biggest and most important games of the clubs history.

1, say, if the board were considering going off in a different direction as far as the team manager was concerned, I would not have expected them to have imformed Martin Ling yet (of course not saying they are)

2, If Martin Ling did know the club were considering his position, being such an important week for the club I would doubt very much if you are an ordinary fan just like me, Martin Ling would have told you, or in fact anyone.

Of course you may well be right, he might be coming back next week, if so then he will have my backing as a fan, foolish not to. But I also hope the club give him it's full backing to assemble a team we can all be proud of.

I hope Shaun taylor steps up to the plate and becomes a real help tp Lingy, and above all I hope in 6 months from now I have no other choice but to come onto the site and admit I was wrong.

Because if I have this right, saying we get through today intact and are still a League 2 side of course, we will be in the same position, and next time we might not escape it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Dunno about you but I want to forget this thread ever existed from now through to the end of the match.

In less than two hours time we have a HUGE match kicking off that could decide our fate in the league.

All my focus now is going on that.

COYY!!!!!!!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Lingy back? What, a return to one up front, turgid football? Where the team lacks cohesion, players look devoid of ideas and chances are few and far between? Where 1-0 wins are the very height of our ambition? I can hardly wait.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by coley in stripes »

Good post Fonda, short but says it all !
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Do one Martin we don't need you no matter how much you want to come back!

The club have to move FORWARDS not backwards - do the right thing board!!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Lol at Ferrarilover. Might as well give up chum, I can't remember the last time you got anything right!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

The thing about Martin is that if he were to approach some games with intensity, tempo and an attacking philosophy then he wouldn't even have to be successful for many anti-Ling dissenters like myself and others to welcome him with open arms back to the club. Mid table with many crap games and some really good ones would spice it up a bit, keep us safe from relegation and keep most of us happy. As it was last season it was MOSTLY crap and predictable and for myself personally, that is why i do not like Martin as manager of Torquay United. If he were to return, address these issues, maybe get some help from the board financially and keep us ticking over then i'd be delighted with him but i've seen nothing in his 2 year tenure to suggest that this will happen and that is my big concern.

If he were to return he may feel he owes the club and the fans something and also may feel a desire in himself to get his career back on track and prove everyone wrong, i just don't know. What i DO know is that i will support the man upon his return and give him time and a second chance, should we be discussing the same old problems come November in terms of performances and tactics then i think we can safely say a massive error has been made by keeping him on and many fans will stop going again. That would be a shame as i think this summer will rekindle the excitement and anticipation in disillusioned fans in attending matches and should this be stopped dead by a return to stale defensiveness from the off then the summer feelgood factor around Plainmoor could be wiped quicker than i can run to the kazi during an IBS bout.

All in all, as it stands i believe him returning would be a catastrophic mistake and one which we will be arguing over after a few months of him returning but he at least has the chance to change and to prove people wrong and i'll support him in that quest - up to a point. He just needs to realise that i personally as a TUFC fan don't want the earth, i just want to be comfortable in the table and actually enjoy watching what is put before me now and again. I cannot believe this is too much for Ling to take on board and i do not believe it is too much to ask but i do not in any way believe that Martin is able to provide this simple offering.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Austrian say you were good at running marathons. All is well. Now someone comes along and shoots you in the foot. There is a marathon the next day. You do your best, but your time is not up to the usual standards. You wonder why, but decide the problem is not the bullet wound but your motivation.

That is what the board did to ML by selling out his three best players. In doing so they laid the foundations for this season. Their brief to ML was to survive. That has now been achieved.

It was not pretty. It was never going to be.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

'...it was never going to be' on account of the preferred tactics of the man at the helm. One up-front, overly cautious, turgid rubbish. Had he been here the whole season, we'd likely not have survived.

He certainly wasn't helped by a board obsessed with off-field spending and the neglect of the team, but he didn't help himself with the 'style' he preached. I personally don't want to watch a Ling-inspired team next season. I want to watch a team that tries to win, rather than one that tries not to lose.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Fonda wrote:'...it was never going to be' on account of the preferred tactics of the man at the helm. One up-front, overly cautious, turgid rubbish. Had he been here the whole season, we'd likely not have survived.

He certainly wasn't helped by a board obsessed with off-field spending and the neglect of the team, but he didn't help himself with the 'style' he preached. I personally don't want to watch a Ling-inspired team next season. I want to watch a team that tries to win, rather than one that tries not to lose.
:goodpost:

ive kept quiet on this subject recently.

but I totally agree with this post.

well said shane.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: ive kept quiet on this subject recently.

but I totally agree with this post.

well said shane.

All the f@cking moaners have been on this week saying this thread is inappropriate with a vital game still to be played,

That game has now been played. :devil:

Now it's a full on turkey shoot. :devil:

Supes : Cock the gun cock an't let whippet off leash, we're off on't Torquay shoot. :devil:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote: All the f@cking moaners have been on this week saying this thread is inappropriate with a vital game still to be played,

That game has now been played. :devil:

Now it's a full on turkey shoot. :devil:

Supes : Cock the gun cock an't let whippet off leash, we're off on't Torquay shoot. :devil:
yee hah! troj.

yee hah!!

and dont forget me ferret.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468