The last time

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

If you think we were bad then you should have seen us in 95-96!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Probably THAT goal!!

Was worth the money getting to Plainmoor to see it.

Yes, we did lose Jeff - remember one of their players was called (Ryan?) Amoo and caused much amusement with us Torquay lot, until the bugger went and scored (I'm sure he did!!) - we were unbeaten up until that game if I recall correctly - then it went downhill rather quickly.

Their manager (I think it was John Schofield), was goading us at the end as we had given him grief most of the match!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

Yeah Garner did score a belter, and I remember Martin Gritton scoring for Lincoln in that match, did he get two late goals as sub? But Garner was another who left a few months into the season, I think Atkins actually released him. He certainly played nearly every game the season before when we just escaped relegation. Another player we got with his best days behind him.

I remember that season we started quite well with Jamie Ward up front, and then of course Mr Roberts came into town (and poor Lubos)............and we ended up with cheap dross.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

what a great squad that was........
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

RN Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by RN Gull »

I still have nightmares about one Dean Gordon and his shocking lack of pace & fitness - we really did have a bunch of journeymen has beens! - have we learnt nothing from that season?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Webb years ..Dean Mooney anyone !!!!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

The best story for me from that season has to be surrounding our own Ryan Jarvis.

Jarvo was quite the hot property back then, and we enquired about loaning him from Norwich. The reply was something along the lines of "erm, no........ We won't loan him to you. How about his sh*tter younger brother Rossi who you've not seen play?". "Oh yeah, we'll take him" was the TUFC response.

Sensing they were onto a winner, Norwich chanced their arm further. "How about a centre back - Matt Halliday - as well, who's never played a senior game?" "Send them all" came the reply.

So we ended up with two players we'd neither scouted, considered, or even really needed. Rossi Jarvis was pretty abysmal, yet has somehow forged a half decent BSP career with Luton and then Cambridge. Halliday I actually thought looked like he might have had something going for him, yet sunk without trace.

A similar scenario occurred when we got Jamal Easter in - Nick McCoy was a "buy one, get one free" addition. We must have spunked a fortune on players we didn't need that season!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Jeff wrote:The best story for me from that season has to be surrounding our own Ryan Jarvis.

Jarvo was quite the hot property back then, and we enquired about loaning him from Norwich. The reply was something along the lines of "erm, no........ We won't loan him to you. How about his sh*tter younger brother Rossi who you've not seen play?". "Oh yeah, we'll take him" was the TUFC response.

Sensing they were onto a winner, Norwich chanced their arm further. "How about a centre back - Matt Halliday - as well, who's never played a senior game?" "Send them all" came the reply.

So we ended up with two players we'd neither scouted, considered, or even really needed. Rossi Jarvis was pretty abysmal, yet has somehow forged a half decent BSP career with Luton and then Cambridge. Halliday I actually thought looked like he might have had something going for him, yet sunk without trace.

A similar scenario occurred when we got Jamal Easter in - Nick McCoy was a "buy one, get one free" addition. We must have spunked a fortune on players we didn't need that season!
how embarrasing....... :Oops:
ive still got his shirt from the end of season auction...... :Oops:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Yes, looks very tight on you if I recall....

STIP
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Yes, looks very tight on you if I recall....
not anymore my fat froggy friend.

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Oi, I don't mind being called fat, or froggy, but friend?! With a northerner?!

What a f*****g liberty

STIP
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Jerry wrote:If you think we were bad then you should have seen us in 95-96!

they were awful. the worst ever. no comparison. there were a few players that had been ok but were past it, also some went on to have a couple of good seasons.

most of the seriously bad ones i cant remember, there were many players who came and went via loans, trials and short contracts.there were quite a few inexperienced young lads mixed with a few has beens, if i am remembering rightly.
i shall have to dig out a few old programmes and get the full list.

here is a list of some of the more memorable players, not necessarily the worst-

ashley bayes, tom kelly, chris curran, lee barrow, ian hathaway, richard hancox, tony bedeau, wayne thomas, alex watson, jamie ndah, scott partridge, ellis laight, simon garner, simon travis, paul baker, paul buckle, russell coughlin,

we had a few managers as well - don o'riordon, paul compton + kevin hodges (caretakers), mick buxton (caretaker), eddie may.

guess how many league games we won that season - out of 46 games - go on guess - drum roll please - wait for it - brace yourselves -

5..... yes thats right 5.

if you want to see how bad we were check this out, mainly from about 2 minutes in. bateson is quite funny in this near the end.

are we really that bad now?
Last edited by chunkygull on 07 Apr 2013, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Oi, I don't mind being called fat, or froggy, but friend?! With a northerner?!

What a f*****g liberty
yeah you are right.

what was I thinking?

calling a frog a friend..... :rofl:

TUST Member 468

lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

If you want to look for other crap torquay players I found the relegation squad on
http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/torquay-united/20/
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

OMG! that was possibley the worst squad ever. Yes, notable exceptions but just how depressing were we to watch??? That's the galling point about this season. On the whole we are better all round but it's just gone soooo wrong. :-/
Oblivion!!!!