Another Manager Goes

General chat about anything else goes here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Neal wrote:The argument about Ferguson, Wenger etc etc, mmmmmm.... a lot of their success is down to the massive amount of money they have. Arsenal fans have not been over happy with Wenger recently. All that money and 1 trophy in 9 years, IS THAT SUCCESS?

In my opinion its more down to form (which includes confidence, risk taking etc) of each individual player. The difference between success and failure even at Conf level is small, really small. If 1 of those 3 EASY chances had gone in against Altrincham then the game would have been different. It is a team game, I know, and its the managers job to try and mould the group of players he has to form a successful unit. BUT for a squad like Torquays (some inherited and not good enough) its difficult. Wenger can just splash the cash CH cannot. I know we have the likes of Dover et al doing better than us, and yes it might be down to poor team management, it might, but even if you are the best, you still need most of those factors falling into place to be successful.
Money has absolutely nothing to do with any managers continued success, yes money can help. Shankly and Paisley dominated domestic and European football with Liverpool before money was even a factor in world football like it is today, Ferguson put the foundations for his success and Man.U in place before the premier league and the money it brought in was even thought of.

Mourinho has had success winning domestic and European trophies in every country he's ever managed in, so there manager that understands exactly what's needed to managed successfully and styles are different in every different country. To be successful as a manager, you have to have the ability to understand what all the ingredients are, the reason Wenger isn't despite the money is unlike others he doesn't understand the importance of things like having a top class goalkeeper for a start, he doesn't understand always when the right time to let a player go and when the need arises to buy in.

Wenger was a manager that got lucky, he happened to have Viera, Henry and Anleka as young inexperienced players ( excuse the spellings) and they developed into world class players, he's tried to replicate that same formula with no success since, which kind of proves the point, after Yaya Sanogo :rofl: just about says it all.

Yes at our level it is different as we don't have vast sums of money, the principle is the same, it's about man management, it's nonsense to say our players aren't good enough compared to Dover, yes player may walk in and not look up for it, it's up the manager to change that. It's about how you greet some one, act and react, trust me I've spent enough time coaching and managing football teams albeit at youth level, in football every action has a reaction, if one player is constantly making the same mistake(action)another has to keep covering that mistake(reaction) so on the training ground you work with that player to help sort the mistake out.

Same for a manager, if a manager is stressed, or trying get his message across like a demented aeroplane controller (action) expect the players to go out on the field and not follow instructions and play poorly(reaction) If a player is out of form, it's up to the manager to investigate and find out why(action) then do whatever he can to help fix any problem that may arise(reaction) When you have little money, you have spend it wisely, and have the ability to improve players, most ours have gone backwards this season , suggests there's a problem some where.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

stefano wrote: Quality over quantity these days Andy ;-)
Yeah, certainly looks that way man. :rofl: :na:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: Yeah, certainly looks that way man. :rofl: :na:
Well of course it actually is. Supporters of other clubs always come on here and take the piss. But nobody takes any notice of them. Who is it at the moment? Cambridge United I expect as they are on the telly ;-)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Fair points well made.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.