Ricys kicking

General chat about anything else goes here.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Ricys kicking

Post by Glostergull »

I went to the Gloucester City V FGR match today to see how they are getting on. A large crowd 4 times Gloucesters normal gate (2067) unfortunatly saw them exit the cup late on. But there was one incident that made me think, and it rang bells in my grey cells of an identical incident when Torquay Played Wrectum I think earlier in the season. You all the know incident I am about to mention. Wrexhams forward shadows Ricy, who then kicks the ball and it hits the forward who then picks the ball up and rounds him to score.
An near enough identical incident occured today where the Gloucester forward shadowed the FGR Goal keeper. who then kicks the ball straight into him and it bounces of the Gloucester player when the Ref blows up for Ungentlemanly conduct.
At the time it was possibly felt that the Forward was moving with the goaly there by preventing him from releasing the ball. but I have now taken a relook at the Torquay incident and although the Wrexham player was not moving quickly, he was loving with the keeper. if you look carefully you will see the Ricy is moving with the ball toward the centre of his area. The Wrexham player was also loving to keep up with him. If he had not moved the Martin would have been able to move away by around 3 or 4 yards. enough to realease the ball in safety.
So this brings to mind. Why does one ref blow for a free kick yet we got penalised. I don't know if any of the Gloucester match will be flimed like ours was but if you also look carefully you will see that both incidents were in more or less exactly the same place on the pitch. so what is the definative answer to what the rule is in this case and why was it given in one case and not the other.?
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

My biggest gripe against officials is the consistency of decision making. I can forgive a referee making mistakes - the game moves quickly and unfortunately it's not always going to be possible for the referee to make the correct decision. Consistency however is what they should be aiming for so that it is a level playing field for all sides.

The decision by the ref in the Swansea-Stoke game last weekend to give a penalty against Shawcross at the corner is another example. I personally think the ref has made the correct decision - he's held his shirt and gained an unfair advantage therefore it's a penalty. However I can understand Stoke's annoyance because that occurs at most games week in week out and never gets punished. It's inconsistent and doesn't send out the correct message. You either have to give them regularly so the situation stops, or you let them go and accept it as a part of the game.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Andy did the incident at the FGR match take place with the Gloucester forward inside or outside the penalty area ? If you look at the Ricey v Wrexham incident the Wrexham player does not enter the Torquay penalty area therefore is not preventing Martin Rice from releasing and kicking the ball out, as Martin Rice could have taken 3-4 steps back and kicked the ball out, with out obstruction, it is Ricey who chooses to kick the ball out from that position, if the Wrexham player had followed Ricey into the area, he is preventing Ricey from releasing the ball has the goalkeeper has no where to go and would have been a free kick.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Yep this boils down to one word - consistency. Specifically a lack of it!

Something which irrites players, managers and fans across the country, and from watching highlights of all divisions is present in all of them!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

If we're talking about football in general and penalty, free-kick's what is a yellow card or red, and what is not a card of any colour then yes, agreed inconsistency is a massive problem.

But Andy was talking about an incident that happened in the FGR match yesterday and was comparing it to Rice v Wrexham, the Wrexham player as said does not enter the area so it's not obstruction as the keeper has freedom of movement inside his area, however in this case Andy glostergull is absolutely spot on, have now seen the video of this incident and to me whilst the referee in our match v Wrexham get it spot on the referee in the Gloucester game gets it wrong to me, as Gloucester forward does not enter the area either, so yes consistency in this case does play a huge part, but so does individual decision making of the player as well.

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

forevertufc wrote:Andy did the incident at the FGR match take place with the Gloucester forward inside or outside the penalty area ? If you look at the Ricey v Wrexham incident the Wrexham player does not enter the Torquay penalty area therefore is not preventing Martin Rice from releasing and kicking the ball out, as Martin Rice could have taken 3-4 steps back and kicked the ball out, with out obstruction, it is Ricey who chooses to kick the ball out from that position, if the Wrexham player had followed Ricey into the area, he is preventing Ricey from releasing the ball has the goalkeeper has no where to go and would have been a free kick.
To answer your question. he was definitely outside the penalty area.

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

I was talking to a Gloucester City director who allo could not see what was wrong with it. But steward from The Town commented that it was seen as ungentlemanly conduct. I cannot agree as if that was the case then Wraxham should have had the goal disallowed and their player booked. it is inconsistant

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

This was discussed on the Torquay/Wrexham match thread, I believe. Obviously I'd have to see the highlights of the Gloucs/FGR game before I can comment on it, but I thought the ref at the Torquay game got it absolutely right, both in the Rice incident and when a Gulls player (I forget who) impeded their goalkeeper.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular

Post by leetufc »

Having re-watched the Torquay - Wrexham highlights there is a clear difference between what their guy does and what Bowman does. Their striker stands in front of Rice but doesn't actively move much to block Rice's kick. Rice choose to stay in the same place.

Bowman follows their keeper round the area significantly clearly trying to prevent his kick.

Looking at both incidents I think the correct call was made. Would be interesting to see therefore whether the incident referred to in the OP was more like their strikers shadowing or Bowmans.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Gullscorer and Lee check out the second post I made on this thread, you'll see link to the FGR v Gloucester highlights :)
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular

Post by leetufc »

forevertufc wrote:Gullscorer and Lee check out the second post I made on this thread, you'll see link to the FGR v Gloucester highlights :)
Cheers :-D Don't know how I missed that!

Completely agree with your earlier assessment. The Wrexham player did nothing wrong against us, and the Gloucester player does the same thing here but gets penalised. Poor refereeing but I guess it's a judgemental call on both occasions, however there needs to be consistency of decision making at all levels.