Plymouth City Council's £800k loan to Argyle

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Plymouth City Council's £800k loan to Argyle

Post by Gullscorer »

Has anybody else seen this..?? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-29391221

Presumably an essential loan without which Argyle would be going down the pan again. Why can't they simply live within their means..??

:@
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Marvellous use of the rate payers money. A loan that will probably never be repaid.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Having a look at Pasoti, it reads as though it's less Plymouth Argyle FC and more Plymouth City Council FC. Apparently this is some virtually interest free loan, secured against some land which Argyle don't own being used to reduce the amount that Argyle owe. Quite how or why a local council are doing this with rate payers money is beyond me. I wonder if SHDC will pay for my shopping next week? Or Torbay to buy us a couple of strikers?

Argyle are like that kid at school with rich parents. Sure, he swans about in a new car and gives it all the mouth about "his" holiday home in the south of France etc, but he's a moron who hasn't ever actually achieved anything off his own back, it's all someone else's money.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

It is precisely because of this, that I dislike Plymouth more than Exeter. The analogy Matt gives is spot on and the condescending attitude Plymouth fans seem to have because they imagine themselves to be a big club, when in fact they cheated to remain in existence, virtue of a scandalous system that allowed them to pay 0.07p of every pound they owe and then carry on as normal, yet here we are, in the abyss of non-league football, when they should be down with Hereford losing to Bideford etc. Cannot stand them and I am just waiting for Harry Potter's business to go to the wall and hopefully drag Argyle down with them.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Meanwhile another one of Brent's/Akkeron's vanity projects,Oldway Mansion, deteriorates daily as Torbay Council waits patiently for him/them to fulfil their promises.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I only recently discovered the unbridled joy that is Oldway Mansion. I knew it was there, but hadn't the first clue that it was accessible and pretty (yeah yeah, like your mum, har har).

I'd heard vaguely that Jimmy Brent was thinking about buying it, but didn't know he actually had. What's the craic?

Matt.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote:I only recently discovered the unbridled joy that is Oldway Mansion. I knew it was there, but hadn't the first clue that it was accessible and pretty (yeah yeah, like your mum, har har).

I'd heard vaguely that Jimmy Brent was thinking about buying it, but didn't know he actually had. What's the craic? Matt.
I only know the bare bones of this Matt, but lookalike Harry Potter has bought Oldway Mansion from Torbay Council with a view of turning the Mansion into a luxury hotel (that's original, eh?) and building houses in parts of the grounds (the grounds are surprisingly extensive). I think the plans have been agreed but there's been a noticeable lack of activity for well over twelve months. That's how I see it but others who follow Council matters more closely than me may know otherwise.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Reading the thread about this on pasoti makes my blood boil.

Most (thankfully there are some people on there that speak sense (obviously aren't born in Plymouth....)) don't see the problem with this, or indeed fail to still see any problem with their initial action of putting numerous local businesses out of business.

The sooner they run out of money again and go under, the better as far as I'm concerned. Leave the teams that actually run as a proper business, ie within their means, to get on with things, and those that can't, go under and start again.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

hector wrote:It is precisely because of this, that I dislike Plymouth more than Exeter. The analogy Matt gives is spot on and the condescending attitude Plymouth fans seem to have because they imagine themselves to be a big club, when in fact they cheated to remain in existence, virtue of a scandalous system that allowed them to pay 0.07p of every pound they owe and then carry on as normal, yet here we are, in the abyss of non-league football, when they should be down with Hereford losing to Bideford etc. Cannot stand them and I am just waiting for Harry Potter's business to go to the wall and hopefully drag Argyle down with them.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Totally agree Hector !!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I've only recently seen this regarding Portsmouth: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29408776 Not too surprising given the size of their fan base.

As for Argyle, well, what can you say...?? :-/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

What an absolute load of crap, they have paid back a pittance of what they actually owed, only in football eh?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agree with the sentiment down the thread, not just Argyle, but a number of football clubs who've gone into administration and robbed business' blind.

Re; This loan from Plymouth City council, the only people with the right to be angry over it is the rate payers of Plymouth, any of them lodged complaints, any of them protesting, after all it's their money.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Thanks for that, Tomo.

Argyle... Robbing bastards.

Matt.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:Meanwhile another one of Brent's/Akkeron's vanity projects,Oldway Mansion, deteriorates daily as Torbay Council waits patiently for him/them to fulfil their promises.
I believe its been close to 2 years since he/they purchased it from Torbay council. Its a beautiful building (and grounds) and should be treated with the respect that a piece of architecture, of Oldways magnitute, deserves. Instead its just been left to rot and crumble. Disgraceful. :@
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."