Bristol Rovers set to launch investigation into allegations

General chat about anything else goes here.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Bristol Rovers set to launch investigation into allegations

Post by ethantufcbaker »

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-Ro ... story.html

Bristol Rovers are to launch an investigation in to allegations that a supporter punched an opposition player during a 2-0 defeat at Braintree Town yesterday.

Tensions flared in the away end after referee Daniel Cooke awarded a contentious penalty after Rovers defender Tom Parkes and Braintree striker Jordan Cox were involved in an off-the-ball incident at Cressing Road.

A Rovers supporter is alleged to have attempted to strike Cox in the head after a melee on the pitch saw the striker bundled into the back of the goal net.

When contacted by the Post earlier today, the club released a statement, which read: "We will be investigating the incident that occurred at yesterday’s game between supporters and an opposition player.

“While we understand that feelings are running high at the moment, there can be no excuse for this sort of behaviour, and we do not want people like this associated with Bristol Rovers.

“We take issues like this very seriously, and we will take appropriate action on completion of the investigation."

The incident, meanwhile, is understood to have been included in the referee’s report.

Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-Ro ... BQBPRwY.99
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I know you can't let a tiny, tiny minority define a whole, but this does always seem to affect Rovers. Masses of trouble when they played BCFC; dawn raids on dozens of homes after the appalling scenes during the Mansfield game and now this. Argyle get twice as many as Rovers, play their local rivals 100 times as often and have suffered a much greater fall from grace over the last few years. They manage to attract many fewer negative headlines. I can't believe they have a PR budget to deal with all this, so we can only conclude that they have many fewer scumbags among their attendees.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Handbags it ain't!

They really are making a name for themselves which can only be negative for their club. A small minority I know but seriously - what is wrong with them in the head?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Lazza, on their forum, said, "Crazy really there isn't some sort of minimum distance that fans have to be from the pitch"

No, you absolute cretin, what's **** crazy is that grown men can't go to a football match between Bristol Rovers and Braintree Town in the amateur leagues and watch without feeling the need to practise violence against any opponent who comes near them.

I weep for mankind. In the past, we had unsegregated crowds of over 200,000 rammed into Wembley for the FA Cup Final (not some shitty league match between a Godawful pub side and Braintree Town). The FA website,

"The 1923 FA Cup Final between Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United was the first football match at [Wembley] and it drew an estimated crowd of 200,000, vastly exceeding the official capacity. It was only due to the good nature of the spectators... that the match took place at all."

Barely 91 years later, 300 **** from Bristol can't keep their hands to themselves in a crowd of 1400. Pathetic.

Matt.
Last edited by ferrarilover on 08 Sep 2014, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

ferrarilover wrote:Crazy really there isn't some sort of minimum distance that fans have to be from the pitch

Holding post
It is strange but it does not excuse it. They have form as well (on two previous occasions). Wonder what happens next.
TUST member 328
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Sorry Rich, I wasn't stitching you up with the edit. I had the quote on my phone, but wanted to type the post on my laptop, so posted the quote and edited the post later.

I don't think it's strange. I've been to matches where there was that little distance between the pitch and the crowd. You know how I dealt with it? I didn't try to punch anyone, that's how. Just the same as last time I went out and had a few beers. Again, I managed it without smashing a glass in anyone's face or touching up any of the many hundreds of girls who were there or calling a copper a **** simply because of his chosen career. It's the same method I employ for not having trouble with the stewards at Plainmoor. I act like a member of a civil society. It's startlingly easy, because contrary to popular belief (well, popular among habitual victim types), you really do have to be a monumental bellsniff to not be able to behave within the VERY loose moral boundaries which we have here in England.

They have extremely recent form, as you rightly point out. I think enough is enough. The only saving grace with them is that they're nothing like the footballing powerhouse and trendsetter that their fans seem to think. God forbid they ever actually achieve anything which gets them even an ounce of public attention, that really would be a black day for football.

Fining them won't work. That Higgs evidently has more money than God, so he won't miss another ten grand or whatever. Nope, I'm afraid that they've committed one serious offence too many. We've had points we didn't win deducted for an admin error (and we remain, so far as I am aware, the only club in the 150 year history of the game to suffer that fate).
We need either to start taking points from them, or, better yet, force them to play their next 5 home matches in front of only travelling fans, then limit their home gate to 1000 for the rest of the season. It's their inability to control their fans which is at fault, so let's address that. Quite how they decide who is among the 1000, I really don't care.

Matt.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular

Post by ethantufcbaker »

At 7:12 here it shows the incident

DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Richinns wrote:Handbags it ain't!

They really are making a name for themselves which can only be negative for their club. A small minority I know but seriously - what is wrong with them in the head?
Well it's pretty fecking obvious to me who the Bristol plod should be speaking to from that. No excuses.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Crowd of 250 away, 6000 toes and 4 surnames between them.

Matt.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

ethantufcbaker wrote:
At 7:12 here it shows the incident
Terrible video of idiots reinforcing the reputation they have achieved for themselves.

I like the way he 'cut' the incident when the Rovers fan/s reached and punched out at the player from his highlights. I suggest the police might want to speak to him for that footage!
TUST member 328
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Richinns wrote: Terrible video of idiots reinforcing the reputation they have achieved for themselves.

I like the way he 'cut' the incident when the Rovers fan/s reached and punched out at the player from his highlights. I suggest the police might want to speak to him for that footage!
AdamCW2k5 1 day ago

The bald idiot with the blue polo shirt on @ 4:09 is the one who punched the player in the back of the net after the pen, name and shame him everybody so the club gets to ban him for a long period.
Reply ·

BristolRoversFan12 1 day ago

+AdamCW2k5 I know mate, i had to cut a bit of the clip out, and the inncident is being reported to the club but i didnt want to get into any trouble on here
Reply ·
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Thugs. No place for that in sport.
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Kinky John Fowler »

RussianGull wrote:Thugs. No place for that in sport.
All clubs have idiots, I wonder if they would have the guts to try the same thing at The New Den?

I doubt it somehow.

Angry little men upset at the fact that people don't take them or their club seriously.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

They're at it again- fan racially abused Dartford keeper last night.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Time to accept that Rovers fans are, generally speaking, scum.

The couple who come on here will be along shortly to tell us that it's just a couple of bad apples, but it's clearly more than that. The whole club is rotten to the core and should be wound up and started again in the pub leagues, where they won't have the opportunity to do any real harm to the reputation of football at large.

Matt.