US Soccer Moms sue FIFA

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

US Soccer Moms sue FIFA

Post by Gullscorer »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-2 ... sions.html
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/2 ... D820140827

It seems to be typical of the USA that whenever there is an issue of public concern (or any other issue) the first thing people do is to rush to litigation. Now a group of American parents are suing FIFA over its alleged negligence in dealing with the risks of concussion and of heading the ball.

The risk of head injuries in sport is of course a legitimate matter to be addressed, and the football authorities have already taken action to examine and deal with the issue.

But the question must be asked, to what extent have these parents discussed their concerns with the US football authorities, and if they feel that FIFA and the American FA are dragging their feet, surely the next step would be to seek help from politicians with a view to improving the law relating to head injuries and trauma in sport. These 'Soccer Moms' appear to have by-passed these steps and rushed instead to their lawyers.

And it's not as if these problems in football (Soccer) are as great and as widespread as they claim, certainly when compared with other sports, as a percentage of the players involved in the sport.

Or are they?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Good lord, I wish that useless phrase 'soccer mom' would go away. It's not been relevant for at least 10 years.

In any case, they felt they had to do something. football has an issue with concussions that it seems unable or unwilling to deal with. You saw even in the world cup that there were instances when players suffered head injuries and were allowed to play on, even against the wishes of the club doctor.
football authorities have already taken action to examine and deal with the issue.
When? They seem to be saying that everything is fine, when it clearly isn't. There are many cases of professional footballers suffering from the consequences of concussions. In the US, international player Taylor Twellman had to retire aged 29 because of concussion related symptoms (he is now very vocal about concussion, even setting up his own charity here]. In the UK, Jeff Astle died of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, which is essentially the same thing that boxers get. There's been a charity set up in his name, too, and West Brom have said they'll dedicate one of their home games to raising awareness. (it must be said, though, that the balls that Astle players with were a lot heavier and more dangerous than the ones today)

There is a growing amount of scientific evidence that suggests that heading the ball repeatedly is not good for you, especially for children - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 59938.html - and the authorities have so far not been willing to get engaged in any sort of discussion.

Admittedly, the US is a lot more sensitive about this right now because of the issues in American Football - you're seeing a lot of parents move their kids out of american football programs into soccer, so it's natural that they want to avoid the same things. With evidence apparently stacking up but FIFA and US Soccer unwilling to do anything about it, what other recourse to parents have?

Asking the politicians to do anything over here is pointless, because if you watch the news you'll know they can't find their backsides with both hands unless you shove money into one of those hands.

I think what you'll eventually see is a recommendation by US Soccer that kids under the age of 14 or 16 should not be heading the ball, which would keep everybody happy. I don't think there will be a lot changing in the professional game, although if it were up to me I'd have an independent doctor on the sideline who could assess for concussion damage and, if necessary, authorise a substitition.

There really aren't any other sports where using your head is such an integral part of the game, and it seems that it'd be a good idea to protect kids' skulls when they're young and their craniums are still growing.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It’s true that the steps taken by the FA this year have not been that vigorous:

http://www.sportal.co.nz/football/engli ... 7eog0tnr79
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 50251.html

And they have certainly not taken the problem particularly seriously in the past: a ten-year study they began a long time ago eventually petered out. But there are signs that they are being made to take notice; various bodies on both sides of the Atlantic have been raising awareness of the risks, especially for young people.

I'm still not convinced it's an epidemic. However, any kind of concussion is potentially serious, and continual heading of the ball over a period of time, as you have indicated, can have serious results for youngsters and for professional players. I believe Geoff Astle played for Torquay for a short period, and Tommy Northcott who played for the Gulls in the sixties suffered in later life for the same reason. The balls were indeed heavier in those days.

I’m also not convinced that law courts should be resorted to before all other avenues to achieve change have been explored. But perhaps these American parents (I hate that 'soccer Mom' phrase too) have already tried, and perhaps their patience has been exhausted. We don’t know. But given the slowness with which the FA and FIFA usually make decisions, I should not be too surprised, so perhaps we shouldn’t be too critical. Let's hope something positive comes out of it..
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

meant to add the link for ThinkTaylor.org
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

The problem with organisations like FIFA is that you can talk to them and lobby them and get other people to talk to them and lobby them for years and years but nothing will every change. Sadly it takes lawyers and the threat of losing cash to actually get their attention and force them in to making changes.
Professional football has increasingly over the last 30 years become more and more about money. Money talks and sadly the only way to get change is threaten to take some of it away.
Just look at Greg Dykes plans to improve the England team, there are lots of answers that would result in the Premier League losing money - he was never going to mention them, hence why all the answers he has given involve them making more money, its the only way to force the issue.
Either threaten to take their money away or offer an opportunity to make more, simply suggesting they give some up will never work.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084