Paul Buckle at New York City

General chat about anything else goes here.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Paul Buckle at New York City

Post by Glostergull »

Noticed that Paul Buckle is the technical director of New York City now. Are they not the club owned by Man City. thoughts?
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Point of order:

He isn't technical director of New York City FC at all.

He's the technical director of the Metropolitan Oval, which is a football academy based in the area. They're a not-for-profit facility that is essentially a coaching centre. They have a relationship with NYCFC but it's similar to what most MLS sides have with their local coaching academies. What it probably means is that if the Met Oval find a player who they think is half decent, they'll let NYCFC know, and then that kid might get accepted into the NYCFC academy, when it eventually gets set up.(all MLS clubs have their own training academies now.) I suppose it's feasible that NYCFC might decide to buy out Met Oval to make them the 'New York City FC Academy' but I don't know if they're legally allowed to do that since Met Oval is technically a charity.

Really, the relationship is similar to that had by thousand of youth teams all over the world with professional teams. I wouldn't be surprised if he's hoping to get a gig with NYCFC's academy at some point, but I seriously doubt he's as qualified as they'd need him to be - plus they're very keen to hire American people on the technical side. Claudia Reyna is football director, and the teams head coach is probably the best young U.S. coach.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

All I know is that I'm all for Buckle having any job which keeps his wife in America.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

njgull wrote:All I know is that I'm all for Buckle having any job which keeps his wife in America.
It's obvious she's the one with the career over here. She's doing pretty well with NBC. I was surprised when he got the Met Oval gig, honestly, because I didn't think he was really qualified to be a technical director of *anything*.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

And since you were talking about Rebecca Lowe - she's in this latest promo by NBC Sports for the Premiership. it's got Jason Sudeikis as Coach Ted Lasso again. And it's brilliant.

[youtube]iRqypM7jb5Y[/youtube]

njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Oh there's no doubt it's the wife who's the current high-flier in that relationship. I do worry though that if NBC loses the Premier League rights in 2016, which seems a distinct possibility, we'll lose her. Would hope that whatever network does end up with the rights would scoop her up. She's brilliant.

And speaking of brilliant it is always great to see Ted Lasso. But as I said earlier on my twitter machine I was not prepared to hear my angel Rebecca use such a naughty word. I'm scarred for life.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Buckle still spends alot of time over here-saw him at the Argyle friendly a couple of weeks ago and at quite a few other matches at Plainmoor last season.Assume he comes over to see Johnny his son,one of our Youth team players.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

My understanding is that Paul Buckle is well qualified both in coaching and in football management. Whatever happened in the past, I'd be happy to see him back as manager of Torquay United. But I expect he'll eventually end up as manager of either NY City or Man City.. :)
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Buckle has a UEFA pro-license, which I believe makes him technically qualified for any coaching position in football, including Premiership management. Even working outside Europe he should be over-qualified if anything for an academy position.

After he left us, I enjoyed watching him fail at Bristol Rovers and Luton. He thought he was making a step up, and there were a few moral issues surrounding when exactly he decided to leave and who he took with him, but with hindsight he left a safe position for the sake of 'ambition' and got found out with a bigger budget and expectations, leaving him without a job in England and following his wife around the world wherever she works.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Er, I don't think he failed at Luton. In the short time he was there they were challenging for promotion and went on a brilliant giant-killing cup run. At Bristol Rovers he was one of a relatively large number of managers they employed over a comparatively short period of time, which said more about the ethos at the club during that time than anything else.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Sacked at the start of January and then sacked at the start of February - two definite failures. At Bristol Rovers he had a free reign to sign his entire squad, 19 players he bought, on big wages, and took them to just above the relegation places when they were expecting promotion. Plus he fell out with popular figures, just as he did here, which did for him. He left us to take the job because he fancied it, and was a failure - they paid us £70k for him, and then had to pay him off 6 months later just to get rid of him.

Luton was even worse. He was managing a side with Andre Gray up front, that had just lost in the play-off final, and brought in his own guys again on big money. After a run of 3 wins in 4 months he got the chop, and the cup run only extended his time in charge. John Still has since shown how easy it was to get Luton promoted, at a fraction of the cost too.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Buckle does indeed have the UEFA pro licence, with qualifies him as a top flight, Champions and Europa league a manager, saw him coaching down the academy a few season back, clearly knows his stuff from a football coaching point of view , maybe coaching anddevelopment roles with in football suit him better, he had all the tools needed to be a successful manager at both Rovers and Luton yet failed big time and both counts , might say a lot about the man.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

There was an interview with Jo Kuffour in the Sunday Independent yesterday and he was very uncomplimentary about Buckle's time at Rovers-basically said Buckle didn't give him a chance,decided he didn't like him and then forced him out by saying he wanted to leave,which was a complete fabrication.
The fans believed what Buckle said and consequently turned against Kuffour.He may have all the licences but make no mistake,Buckle's a devious git.
Pea
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dale Tonge

Post by Pea »

Every TUFC player I've spoken to about Bucks happily recalls that he one of the best coaches in the business. Knows football inside out and can fashion a good side out of absolutely nothing... For about a week, until players get sick of his horrible personality. He's just got no people skills whatsoever, a total social retard. Can't engender respect, can't speak to people appropriately, can't do anything except coach football.
Interestingly, the absolute opposite is true of Ling, of whom it is frequently said he's one of the least knowledgeable men in football, but boy-oh-boy, can he make people feel good about themselves.

We've seen each approach being both success and failure. I guess the key is a moderation of both. Helpfully, I know that Chris already had the Ling half, here's hoping he can develop the Buckle half, and quick.
Pea.