World Cup Thread

General chat about anything else goes here.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I agree F'rev. Any other team than a disciplined Italy and I think we would have torn them apart.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Totally agree with Forever.

I think I was watching a different game it most on Facebook. Lots of positives to take. Left handsside needs a rethink - Baines was skinned a lot, but I really do think that we will still get out of this group.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

One other thing.

Sterling was immense tonight. The Italians were shitting themselves every time he got the ball.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I agree in return with the all the above posts, said it another post, the back four was a worry and so proved tonight, we're not good enough to win the world cup, but hey only one team can win it, for me the positives are, we've now got a young team, and for the first time, in a long, long time they can all play football, all look decent with the ball, strange think for me, tonight England looked better with the ball than with out, normally it's the other way around.
Formerly known as forevertufc
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

forevertufc wrote:I agree in return with the all the above posts, said it another post, the back four was a worry and so proved tonight, we're not good enough to win the world cup, but hey only one team can win it, for me the positives are, we've now got a young team, and for the first time, in a long, long time they can all play football, all look decent with the ball, strange think for me, tonight England looked better with the ball than with out, normally it's the other way around.
Another Golden Generation. It's encouraging, but the last Golden Generation didn't win anything. All of the players in our team would have a chance of winning something .... if only they had been born in Deruta, Perugia, Gubbio, Sardegna, Torino, or Napoli. A proper football education from a young age. Let the other team run around, control the game and keep the ball, and when the northerners are knackered kill them off. It's no accident that a country with a similar population to the UK has reached the World Cup final 6 times winning it 4 times. Forza Italia ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To be fair Stef, the so called golden generation were named that by no one else but our stupid media who still can't decide whether we are a major footballing nation or not, no body from with in football actually named the 2006 team the golden generation.

Do not disagree with anything you say, I'm a massive fan of the Dutch youth development system, copied their small sided game principal in my own youth coaching journey, with varying degrees of success, the point for me, is youth development football not just at professional academy level, but at grassroots level where I've worked for number of years has caught on, and did so a few years ago.

Little things like U8/U9 now 5 v 5 instead 7 v 7 and many youth leagues now adopt the retreat rule, where by when a goalkeeper has the ball the opposition has to retreat behind the halfway line, and the keeper in possession the ball most roll it out, to a outfield player, thus creating a lot more players coming through at all levels in youth football more comfortable receiving the ball and playing out from the back, rather than just hoofing and hope for the best.

Before players went from playing mini-soccer rules 7 v 7 at U11 straight into 11 v 11 full football rules at U12, now many areas have made U11 a transitional age group, played on slightly bigger pitch's 9 v 9 with offsides, and Devon FA and particular the Torbay Pioneer League has been one the first to adopt a two season mixed U17/18 League at grassroots youth level, which does help bridge the gap between youth and senior football, something I really hope our youth department cotton on to and quickly, they should be out scouting this, for missed little gems.

The point to that is, and there was plenty of evidence last night , we are beginning to produce better and more technical players, we use moan endlessly about other countries having players capable of playing a perfectly weighted defence splitting pass, why haven't we got those players, well, look at our goal last night, Sterling, Barkley, Wilshere all capable of doing that, and players like Will Hughes at Derby who looks a real prospect, coupled with some of our current U-21 like Shaw who's their, and Stones , the massive difference is, these are all better 'footballers' than our previous golden generation, again it showed last night, Euro 12 we played Italy spent 120 mins camped with 10 men in our box and hung on for dear life, last night, we went toe to toe with them, and there wasn't a single Italian player who came off knowing he'd been in a game, that's how far we've come in 2 years.

Not saying we're going to be the next dominant force in world football, but as said our future is brighter than some many think, and Greg Dyke wants to take a long hard look at last nights performance and then stick his B team idea straight up his own arse, wouldn't surprise me to see a bigger number of our current players become targets of top European clubs.

Also think we're benefitting from having Hodgson who's coached internationally and at club level abroad, the old blood guts and thunder style of English football doesn't work any more on the international stage, last night we very nearly held the Italians, playing the Italian way .
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

The commentators just mentioned about Argentina leaving 2 up top whilst defending a corner. "Only 2? Buckle used to leave 3 up!", I thought to myself.
Luke.

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

forevertufc wrote:To be fair Stef, the so called golden generation were named that by no one else but our stupid media who still can't decide whether we are a major footballing nation or not, no body from with in football actually named the 2006 team the golden generation.
This actually isn't true. That Golden Generation tag came from the wickfut Adam Crozier, who was chief exec of the FA at the time.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

So, we are potentially about to see Spain all but dumped out of the World Cup in the Group Stages.

Thoughts?
Luke.

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Deserved. They've been abysmal. The modern game is based heavily on pace and Spain haven't got any.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

cambgull wrote:So, we are potentially about to see Spain all but dumped out of the World Cup in the Group Stages.

Thoughts?
I'm sure Greg Dyke is scouting the Chilean league and will be brining out plans to copy it in the UK
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I see that Suarez is starting tonight. Just imagine if England's best player (by miles) was returning from a serious knee injury tonight, what would the Uruguayans do to him? I think we all know that, so get at Suarez from the off England, see if he can be removed before half time.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sorry, going back to Spain, remembering they are the reign world and double European champions, I've found their meak and mild defence of their world crown bizarre. For me it's all about getting your decisions right, and if that means handing out some tough love then so be it.

They've played Casillas in goal, who in his has been a great keeper, but not played in La Liga all season, it showed, and they've dumped a winning formula, for a new plan A that involves sending everything long to Costa, who's barely fit, yep Spain deserved everything they got.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Gullscorer wrote:England won't get out of the group stage. They just aren't good enough.. :(
HT Uruguay 1 (Suarez) England 0. Anybody still seriously think this bunch of nervous Nancy boys are going to make it to the quarter-finals..?? :-/

Second half: now 2-1 (Suarez again..!!) Perhaps the England team should play some pub football next season; they might learn a thing or two.. :)
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Gullscorer wrote: HT Uruguay 1 (Suarez) England 0. Anybody still seriously think this bunch of nervous Nancy boys are going to make it to the quarter-finals..?? :-/

Second half: now 2-1 (Suarez again..!!) Perhaps the England team should play some pub football next season; they might learn a thing or two.. :)
reveling in an England loss?

Sad.
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!