Best and worst footy shirts

General chat about anything else goes here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Best and worst footy shirts

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

It's been a real humdinger has the debate about our new home shirt so whilst the thoughts of footy shirts are in the back of your minds i thought i'd chuck in a related thread for a bit of fun. There has been some cracking footy shirts over the years throughout football, not just Torquay and not just in the UK. There has been some dull ones and some garish ones, some memorable ones and some forgettable ones but the question i'm asking is:

What are your favourite and least favourite footy shirts of all time and what was your first EVER shirt? Feel free to add photos if you have them.

You can give loads of different reasons and not just, "i liked it". You can have shirts from all over the globe including international shirts.

I will kick off ( not literally otherwise i'll be getting a site banning order! )

My first ever shirt was in the early 90's and i got a full Hull City kit, it was made by matchwinner and had a huge plasticky sponsor across the front BONUS the electrical suppliers. It was black and amber striped and i never took it off for a week!

My first ever Austria shirt was brought back from Austria by my Oma (Grandma) when i was about 14 and it was our Italia 90 shirt white with black swirls. Some of you may recall it when we played Italy and lost 1-0 via a Schillaci header ( little prick!) I wore that for a week also and took it to the printers to get the name of my favourite player on the back. FEIERSINGER - as in WOLFGANG FEIERSINGER the former Dortmund and Austria defender. Why did i choose the bloke with the longest friggin' name?!! Cost me a fortune!

My favourite shirts were the Hull City one that was basically an old Ford Cortina leopardskin seat cover which had an absolutely HUGE black sponsors square on the middle with NEEDLERS SWEETS on it! Loved it. I also liked the Brighton away one in the mid 90's. I think it was white with pink polka dot spots and sponsored by NOBO!

I will see what you guys say and refresh my memory and then post some more of my faves and some of my horrible ones. Our current home shirt is one of the worst i have to add.

Also, would YOU purchase a replica shirt if your club didn't have a sponsor and it was bare? I wouldn't in a million years.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

My first ever shirt was the England 2000 kit :lol: and to be honest I can't really a name a favourite and least favourite shirt because I just think they get outdated every season but currently this season I like PSG's home kit, the worst has to be Recreativo de Huelva's (Spanish Segunda Division) away kit, truly awful.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I might buy that Ollie! It's bloody good man! Love it.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

there have been some terrible shirts down the years whoever designed some of them should be collected and taken away by the men in white coats. we have been guilty of some shockers but not as guilty as others. arsenal away 91-93 was awful :-o england 90 3rd kit :no: scotland away 94-95. :Z been a few dodgy austrailian ones :aww: . .newcastle away 93-95. norwich 92 - 94 8-o .aston villa away 93-95 :S chelsea away 94- 96 :no: tottenham 3rd kit 06-07 (turd coloured), fulham away 10-11 :Z any pink kit. :-/ any plymouth kit :@ (offensive). man uniteds current one. any exeter shirt :@ (offensive). any kit with black and blue hoops. :- loads of keepers tops. :no: any kit with yellow and white stripes :whistle: there are too many to remember off hand.
the first shirt i ever had was torquay home 89-90 . i have only had 2 home shirts in the 26 years of supporting torquay because most of them have been plain, awful or just plain awful :| .the other home shirt i have is from 97-99. the second shirt i ever got was in 91 just in time for the play offs, the purple and white one :) (nice) which i chose rather than have that yellow and white striped thing :no: ive actually just seen one on ebay, £40 they
want :O .i have had quite a few torquay away shirts, 2 quite smart ones that stand out were with light blue and white stripes in the mid to late 90's :) but both were totally different .only shirt i have from another club which really stood out as different :-o is a man united 90-92 blue and white away which is proper old school adidas, from different distances the design seems to completely change, some would say it is terrible :no: it has made a few online worst shirt lists but some would say its cool :) .
i so badly just want us to have 1 decent home shirt in my lifetime. looks like that isnt going to happen any time soon :( :scarf:
been having a look around on the net and there are loads of links for worst kits.check out youtube search worst ever football kits one link has former gull paul holmes wearing an awful birmingham kit. we have made an entry on historical kits in their worst home kits section for our 93-95 hoops shirt. bit harsh that :red:
Last edited by chunkygull on 20 Jan 2013, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
lankyben
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by lankyben »

heerenveen love heart Shit was woeful.

favourite is The England 96 blue one
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

lankyben wrote:heerenveen love heart sh*t was woeful.

favourite is The England 96 blue one

:Z

ANY England shirt is horrible! :~D
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

check out these gems some of them were on the above list, wonder if they had a fans poll to pick these - 8/
http://www.leicestertillidie.com/worst- ... -ever.html
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/tea ... 23627.html :lol:
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/tea ... 23628.html :rofl:

i've noticed a recent newcastle shirt keeps making worst shirt lists - guess what colours?
yellow and white stripes. :whistle:
:scarf:
Last edited by chunkygull on 24 Jan 2013, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

ANY England shirt is horrible! :~D[/quote]

Couldn't comment on the Austrian shirt, I have never seen it as they are never in any tournament. :~D
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

austria have made a couple of dodgy lists with this one -
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/tea ... 30549.html :no:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

have found a great site that has got actual pictures of some torquay kits - did anyone have this one.i cant make up my mind if i love it or hate it-
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/tea ... s2327.html :|

here is my 2 blue and white striped efforts one looking a bit nore argentinaesque than i remember -
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/tea ... s6478.html
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/tea ... s6467.html

and my lovely purple one that i bought instead of yellow and white stripes -
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/tea ... s6481.html :)
aaahhh memories: :scarf:
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

chunkygull wrote:austria have made a couple of dodgy lists with this one -
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/tea ... 30549.html :no:
The austrian shirts always look a little german. Is that because Austria is Germany's reserve team? :lol: Hi Andy :~D
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

chunkygull wrote:check out these gems some of them were on the above list, wonder if they had a fans poll to pick these - 8/
http://www.leicestertillidie.com/worst- ... -ever.html
http://live4liverpool.com/top-ten-worst ... ibous-1978 :rofl:
i've noticed a recent newcastle shirt keeps making worst shirt lists - guess what colours?
yellow and white stripes
. :whistle:
yeah, but they are worn by geordies so thats the reason why.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

i remember us playing some pre season friendlys in 1990 when mike bateson took over he arranged some glamour games :) one was against red star belgrade and the other was against a top mexican team fc pumas. im sure this was the shirt pumas wore on that day. really bad or really inspired what do you think?
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/tea ... 14232.html :|
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

chunkygull wrote:i remember us playing some pre season friendlys in 1990 when mike bateson took over he arranged some glamour games :) one was against red star belgrade and the other was against a top mexican team fc pumas. im sure this was the shirt pumas wore on that day. really bad or really inspired what do you think?
http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/tea ... 14232.html :|

waht do you think about it? :devil:

if you like it, i don't!

......and if you don't like it - i do! :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

now thats not very nice is it. :-o
how do you know im not the sensitive type that gets upset by that sort of thing. :'(