Nani goal

General chat about anything else goes here.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Nani goal

Post by westbaygull »

Did anyone see this on MOTD? Gomes put the ball down thinking there was a free kick, there wasn't and Nani strolled round in front of him and scored... Not as ingenious as Hilly, and would imagine Mark Clattenburg will get slated over it, but entertaining!

Edit - is it too late to put a spoiler alert? Look away now...? :lol:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Once again, shoddy officials seem to inadvertently help aid Man Utd...

It was a freekick as blatant as they come - how the linesman and/or ref didn't see Nani practically stop the ball moving is insane..

Yet when they were talking to each other, they had Rio Ferdinand gobbing off right in their faces.. lovely.

Ridiculous.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

NickGull wrote:
Yet when they were talking to each other, they had Rio Ferdinand gobbing off right in their faces.. lovely.
I thought that was shocking, actually, as the Spurs players had been shoo'ed away, but Rio was allowed to stay in the officials' faces. However was reluctant to state that earlier as it means I am publicly agreeing with Alan Hansen... :|
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Haha, I fast-forwarded the punditry of it, hate it. Hansen, Lawro and Shearer don't really know what they're talking about, in my opinion, so just seem to state the obvious. It's the same with Steve Claridge on the FLS.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Bit of a dog's breakfast all round but certainly gave us neutrals a laugh. On balance I slightly dislike Spurs more than I dislike Man Utd but irrespective of that we all want to see the game officiated properly.

No side want's the play to be brought back so they can take a free kick if it means they lose the advantage & in that respect I don't think Spurs can complain.
Once the Man Utd attack had broken down Gomes was able to throw the ball out quickly or kick it from his hands if he preferred...all before Man Utd were able to get back into position & reorganize.

I don't know whether the Ref did or didn't see Nani's hand resting on the ball but had Clattenburg insisted on a free kick being taken rather than letting play continue that would surely have limited Spurs options & helped Man Utd take up their marking & defensive positions.

The main lesson as lot's have pointed out is to observe the old adage of 'play to the whistle'..rather than corncerning yourself over what decision you think the Referee should or should not be making.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

NickGull wrote:Haha, I fast-forwarded the punditry of it, hate it. Hansen, Lawro and Shearer don't really know what they're talking about, in my opinion, so just seem to state the obvious. It's the same with Steve Claridge on the FLS.
Apart from Claridge is 10 times more annoying and crap.
steve wareing
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: all

Post by steve wareing »

Have you noticed that every dubious /crap descision always goes in Man.Utd's favour. No wonder they win so much.
Having said that , I think Clattenberg's [or should I say Clangerberg] refereeing skills leave alot to be desired.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

NickGull wrote:Once again, shoddy officials seem to inadvertently help aid Man Utd...

It was a freekick as blatant as they come - how the linesman and/or ref didn't see Nani practically stop the ball moving is insane..

Ridiculous.

*snore*

Entirely different - Clattenburg shooed the Spurs away because they were in his face as he walked over to the linesman. Ferdinand was behind Clattenburg while he was conferring with the linesman, so I wouldn't be surprised if Clattenburg didn't even know he was there until he turned around.

Should have been a penalty, anyway, and even if Spurs should have been awarded the freekick once the ball was handled, the whistle didn't get blown. I mean, "play to the whistle" is the first thing that you get taught when you're a kid. Gomes is culpable, for sure.

Really the worst thing for me was Nani stamping his feet like a little kid when he didn't get the penalty, and then running around sticking his tongue out once he'd scored.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

happytorq wrote:
so I wouldn't be surprised if Clattenburg didn't even know he was there until he turned around.
So if you were talking to a friend of yours at work, for example, and then another employee just stood behind/next to you shouting things in your face, you wouldn't know he was there? :|

Ah well, nout can be done with it now.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

the way i see it....

Gomes was at fault- the referee DIDNT blow the whistle so you play on until the ball goes out or he does blow... gomes drops the ball after thinking it was a freekick(i admit it should of been given) but the ball is still 'in play' so nani is allowed to tap it in.

the assistant makes it look bad by flagging belatedly and what looked like to me an offside(flag held in air)

from those points its been made in to a much bigger debate.

GOMES was at fault although the referee should of given a freekick IF he saw the handball.