Pretentious shirt names

General chat about anything else goes here.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Pretentious shirt names

Post by Yorkieandy »

It's a trivial matter in the grand scheme of things but it's winding me up a bit now.

Names that footballers have on the back of their shirts.

Just watching Liverpool now and Van Dijk has the name 'VIRGIL' printed on the back of his shirt.

Yes technically it's his name and he might prefer being called that but what would it descend into of we had 'WAYNE' and not Rooney? 'HARRY' and not Kane? Everyone's Christian name or nickname instead of traditionally what is supposed to be on the back - SURNAMES!

Is it pretentiousness? I believe so.

Like Javier Hernandez has CHICARITO on the back. No, it's HERNANDEZ!

Obviously this section of the site seems to be dead on it's arse so don't expect a glut of replies but just wondered if anyone can remember any other players who had nicknames or daft names on the back of their shirts. :-/
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dele alli has dele on the back of his.... Herrera has anders Herrera on his.... :no: so he can remember his own name.... =D
sanchez has alexis on his :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Well it was in the days when there was just a number on the shirt and no names or sponsor logos, but if there had been names on shirts Edson Arantes di Nascimento would undoubtedly have had just PELE on the back of his shirt.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Yorkieandy wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 21:48 It's a trivial matter in the grand scheme of things but it's winding me up a bit now.

Names that footballers have on the back of their shirts.

Just watching Liverpool now and Van Dijk has the name 'VIRGIL' printed on the back of his shirt.

Yes technically it's his name and he might prefer being called that but what would it descend into of we had 'WAYNE' and not Rooney? 'HARRY' and not Kane? Everyone's Christian name or nickname instead of traditionally what is supposed to be on the back - SURNAMES!

Is it pretentiousness? I believe so.

Like Javier Hernandez has CHICARITO on the back. No, it's HERNANDEZ!

Obviously this section of the site seems to be dead on it's arse so don't expect a glut of replies but just wondered if anyone can remember any other players who had nicknames or daft names on the back of their shirts. :-/
Traditionally we had numbers 1-11 on the backs of shirts which (roughly) corresponded with a position on the pitch! No 'No10 role' or 'false No9' (still no idea what that is) :-/

First one I can remember was 'Jordi' instead of Cruyff at ManUre..... :slap:
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
JackyB gull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Jean-yves Koue Niate

Post by JackyB gull »

I think when we go up to the conference Jean-Yvette Koué Niate will have Koué instead of Niate on his back.
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SkyBlueGull »

There is an article in las months WSC (When Saturday Comes) about shirt names.

In it is states that Van Djik (as well as Mapay) had permission to change the names to their first names because of "family issues"

Don't know /it doesn't say what those family issues were so make of that what you will

SBG
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

And just think down at Argyle every squad member would have ' c#nt ' on the back of theirs !!
That would confuse the natives somewhat wouldn't it, not that would make much difference to their mental state being the real cornish capital.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Teigngull wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 18:22 And just think down at Argyle every squad member would have ' c#nt ' on the back of theirs !!
That would confuse the natives somewhat wouldn't it, not that would make much difference to their mental state being the real cornish capital.
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

Van Dijk has Virgil on the back of his shirt due to a on going fued with his father about money, I assume Van Dijk doesn't owe his father money but the other way round :lol:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

smw89 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 20:05 Van Dijk has Virgil on the back of his shirt due to a on going fued with his father about money, I assume Van Dijk doesn't owe his father money but the other way round :lol:
Thought it was down him being gender fluid and his right to self-identification. :whistle:
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

smw89 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 20:05 Van Dijk has Virgil on the back of his shirt due to a on going fued with his father about money, I assume Van Dijk doesn't owe his father money but the other way round :lol:
Well he's got enough money to change his name by deed poll. It only costs about £50 i believe. Perhaps he's pretentious after all or bothered but not that much.

Shame that money is what most families fall out about.
JakeB
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by JakeB »

Teigngull wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 18:22 And just think down at Argyle every squad member would have ' c#nt ' on the back of theirs !!
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Goalkeeper

Post by Fred Perry »

Newcastle United had a player called Paul Cannell !!!...

Yes exactly. 😃