Coaching Keepers.

General chat about anything else goes here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Coaching Keepers.

Post by arcadia »

Anyone who has read my posts will know that I don't like the word football coach as this is someone who has a piece of paper saying they are a football coach but most do not know the standards or have the experience to teach players. I will say there are some that do escape my judgement.

One of the best goalkeeper coaches that I have seen is Roy Dollin formerly of Bristol Rovers. Roy had a great record of bringing young keepers through the youth set up at the Eastville. This included several who went on to play a good standard of
football. My son was a goalkeeper at Rovers from the age of 13 and Roy helped him improve and he went on to play Conference and Western League football at the age of 19. Tim Carter,Phil Kyte both came through the youth set up at Rovers and Nigel Martyn went on to better things including playing for England.

I took my son twice a week to goalkeeping training and it was a good experience for me an ex-keeper as well who never had anyone teach me. Roy put the keepers under pressure training and made them push themselves on all angles and agility. I spent hours watching and took his idea's back to my club. During this time at 38 I was asked back to the City to play in the Reserves.
I introduced a few idea's of my own to the goalkeeping training for years after this, using Roy's idea's. In the 90's I was managing in the Western League and I attracted Steve Book and another ex-Paulton keeper who wanted to train with us this is because it made the training interesting. We also had talks on how to make a striker shoot the side he does not want to shoot so as to put him off and by talking you learn. We did not use gloves until the end of the session as we found a bit of confidence came from the gloves.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This might interest you, a coach and academy I know well, in fact I was at this session up in Taunton. A number of keepers ended up at both Exeter and Yeovil from this academy, when our now closed youth set up was offered a link up with this keeper academy, they never even bothered to return the calls made, still doesn't surprise me to this day.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

if you do a bit of research you will find our own Matty Gregg is a coach with this lot
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

When I think of reason why I, or anyone else would spend our valuable time doing such research, I'll let you know :-D :) Of course the whole academy was founded by Ray Newland, that name sound familiar, it should do to some.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote: 04 May 2017, 19:40

This might interest you, a coach and academy I know well, in fact I was at this session up in Taunton. A number of keepers ended up at both Exeter and Yeovil from this academy, when our now closed youth set up was offered a link up with this keeper academy, they never even bothered to return the calls made, still doesn't surprise me to this day.
Thank you it was interesting especially the machine. The training that Roy took was,.... yes was different but more on saving on certain areas of the goal continuous left and then right.
I can see things have moved on and a bit impressive to watch but have the lads learnt anything, we've got no good English keepers anymore.
Howard Radford the former Rovers keeper gave me tips when I played and one was on penalties and I believed that I could save more that I let in by closing one side down plus you watch the strikers feet. You make the striker put the ball where you want it to go. Howard retired near Teignmouth. I will always be grateful to him for that as it works.
Keepers do need help at times as it's in the mind as well.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

forevertufc wrote: 04 May 2017, 19:40

Harrop always was clueless. Now he's fat and clueless.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Moore has the potential to be a very good keeper last season when he had just arrived he was like a breath of fresh air after our keeper had lost confidence.
He's struggled a little bit with distribution where players don't want the ball then his kicking goes haywire it affects his confidence. His distribution was a strength in his game last season as we kept the ball with his quick long throws. I think he's to quiet as well. Nicho needs to address this if he stays which I hope he does.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

One thing Moore doesn't lack is bottle. He is every bit as brave as any other keeper around as he proved again at Aldershot when diving on the ball while their forward was busy trying to take his face off. He'll make mistakes, all is keepers do and did. It;s how you bounce back from your mistakes that counts. He needs confidence to play at his best, you get confidence when your defence isn't so unpredictable. He's vocal and a good shot stopper too. I can forgive the odd wayward clearance and also the odd mistake, if he made less of those he would be playing for better clubs than us. I hope he is retained, he's plenty good enough.

Chris, I was coached by Budgie and Flowers while they were at Saints. Two contrasting characters but both excellent keepers and coaches too. Burridge watched me play in a Hampshire Senior Sunday final many years ago and was asked to leave after telling me to punch the centre forwards head off, he was the most competitive and aggressive keeper I've ever met. Him and Mark Dennis were a nightmare, I blame them for my mischevious outlook on life =D
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Good memories I liked Tim Flowers.
I was brave if you say that but a lot called it mad I've had a lot of bad luck in my football playing days snapping ligaments at 24 getting back the having a head on clash breaking my cheek bone and four places in my jaw I was 25 I was concussed for three days football is a bit safer now but back in those days it was hard. I went into management at 27 did not play much did not enjoy playing after that until Mike Gibson Citys best ever keeper asked me to play again at Ashton Gate in the reserves.