Newspapers

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Newspapers

Post by Gullscorer »

The decline of the newspaper industry.

This guy sums it up very well: ‘the Telegraph is failing to represent realities experienced by its readers, instead presenting the utopia of narcissistic writers who identify themselves as green, feminist and ethically superior. I’ve seen more common sense in The Sun.’ http://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/nial ... telegraph/ :-D

The only newspaper I still buy regularly these days is the Herald Express. The rest I get from the internet. And while not strictly a newspaper, for me Private Eye is still good for a laugh, despite (or perhaps because of) its clown of an editor.

How about you? Read any good papers lately? What's your favourite news and comment source, on-line or printed, and why? (And please don't mention the Guardian without giving a trigger warning; I shall :Z ) ;-)
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I occasionally buy a newspaper if I'm going on a long train journey, I'll sometimes read someones discarded Metro or Evening Standard on the Tube but in the main my news comes from a mix of Five Live and various places on the t'internet, including here (yes Gullscorer I even read some of your links sometimes!)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

I sometimes bought a newspaper when I was living abroad to improve my Dutch. I also buy a paper on significant days and save them, got the inspiration when my grandad showed me all the papers he'd saved over the years as far back as the 50s, it was fascinating reading them. Other than that I wouldn't buy a paper normally, no need when I could just go on the internet most of the time.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I guess the biggest reason for the decline of newspapers has been the industry's slowness to recognise the challenge of the internet and how to adapt to it. But I'd hate to see printed news disappear completely. One of the main reasons I buy them is their usefulness in wrapping up rubbish and soaking up spilled water. Some newspapers are better at that than others..
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Gullscorer wrote:I guess the biggest reason for the decline of newspapers has been the industry's slowness to recognise the challenge of the internet and how to adapt to it. But I'd hate to see printed news disappear completely. One of the main reasons I buy them is their usefulness in wrapping up rubbish and soaking up spilled water. Some newspapers are better at that than others..
I don't think it's a case of adapting. With the proliferation of smartphones now there is just no need for a newspaper. Why limit yourself to that one out of date source when you can get bang up to date news from their website and those of a million and one other news outlets, professional and amateur journalists, bloggers and vloggers.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

You're right Phil, though there are still a number of successful printed newspaper businesses out there, successful because they have indeed adapted and changed, and most of them also have web-sites. But that said, there's no denying that newspaper circulations have diminished over the years.

However, the problem with modern electronic media is that somebody still needs to provide news which is reliable, truthful, accurate, and detailed, to the exclusion of bias and rumour and propaganda, and comment and analysis which is intelligent, erudite and well-reasoned, as opposed to rant and demagoguery.

Most of the printed press has not done too well in this regard over the years, and in recent times the broadcast media, including the BBC, has also fallen short of the standards the public needs. From subtle bias to non-reporting to outright propaganda and mis-representation of facts, the populace has for some considerable time been ill-served by the press and media.

With the advent of portable mobile devices this situation has only worsened. Although news and communication is faster than ever, it has become more difficult for the general public to sort the wheat from the chaff, and many people don't even realise that they should take most of what they read, see and hear, with a large pinch of salt.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Basically what you mean is that if it doesn't fit in with your own narrow prejudice, it isn't fit for anyone else to read.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Plainmoor78 wrote:Basically what you mean is that if it doesn't fit in with your own narrow prejudice, it isn't fit for anyone else to read.
Don't be silly. I clearly mean that the general public doesn't realise that the lunatics have taken over the asylum. If you want to find narrow prejudice, look in the direction of the ideological Marxist-Feminists, the totalitarian PC fanatics, and the bigoted 'social justice' warriors.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Gullscorer wrote: Don't be silly. I clearly mean that the general public doesn't realise that the lunatics have taken over the asylum. If you want to find narrow prejudice, look in the direction of the ideological Marxist-Feminists, the totalitarian PC fanatics, and the bigoted 'social justice' warriors.
Your reply proves my point. You do not trust other people to make their own minds up or credit them with any intelligence. Right wing bigots are as bad as left wing bigots.
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

I made comment on my thoughts on the newspaper industry on the european in out topic. They are not newspapers anymore a newspaper was created to let people know what is happening in this country and around the world. They have now either become gossip magazines fixed on celebrity or opinion papers where they want to ram there bias views down our throats. in some cases they are both.

i cant be bothered with them.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Absolutely right S4fedrive. And I think Plainmoor78 completely misses my point which is (I know from experience) that the press and media can be very biased, and so people should indeed make up their own minds and take everything with a pinch of salt, whatever their own political viewpoint. It's obvious from my posts on this forum what mine is, and, from his comments, it's clear where Plainmoor78 is coming from, and what he thinks of those who hold different views from his own.