Lambada FC...?

General chat about anything else goes here.
danjgregory

Lambada FC...?

Post by danjgregory »

Does anyone know if Lambada FC still exist? It's time for the next Rodney Jack or Gregory Goodridge to tear up the national league in 2016/17 for the Gulls!

I heard Kevin Millard (former head coach @ Lambada) is back in the bay? Who else agrees that we could do with a little Carribean magic at Plainmoor (or whatever our stadium is called these days!)?
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

You'd have absolutely zero chance of a work permit these days, unless it's for a regular player in a top 70 side, which would be well above our price range unfortunately.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Gullscorer wrote:Another good reason for leaving the EU.. :)
Why on earth would leaving the EU make it easier to get a work permit for someone from the Caribbean?

Anyway, it is a bit of a shame that we can't sign the odd gem, but in general the work permit rules for non-EU nationals is pretty sound in my opinion.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Kit_robin wrote: Why on earth would leaving the EU make it easier to get a work permit for someone from the Caribbean?

Anyway, it is a bit of a shame that we can't sign the odd gem, but in general the work permit rules for non-EU nationals is pretty sound in my opinion.
Not at all sound, in my opinion. Being in the EU makes it harder to employ people from outside the EU. The Government is able to make occasional exceptions when recruiting from inside the EU proves to be insufficient, such as it's done recently for nurses. But why must we be forced to favour EU nationals over people from the rest of the world who may be better qualified and speak better English. It doesn't make sense. Vote 'Leave'...
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Gullscorer wrote: Not at all sound, in my opinion. Being in the EU makes it harder to employ people from outside the EU. The Government is able to make occasional exceptions when recruiting from inside the EU proves to be insufficient, such as it's done recently for nurses. But why must we be forced to favour EU nationals over people from the rest of the world who may be better qualified and speak better English. It doesn't make sense. Vote 'Leave'...
I presume you are referring to the resident labour market test?

In reality you only have to advertise the job twice to see if you can fill the position adequately. If you can't then you can apply to sponsor someone - yes, I believe this includes the EU as well as UK, but that's largely immaterial. It won't lead to people unsuitable for jobs getting them, as there is no requirement to offer the job to someone who isn't suitably qualified. so an employer either gets someone who can do the job or can bring someone in from outside the EU if they can't.

As for football, there are extra tests applied which I personally feel are GENERALLY correct. I would rather have the cream of the non-eu players playing here than have generally rubbish ones.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Kit_robin wrote:I would rather have the cream of the non-eu players playing here than have generally rubbish ones.
We don't have to be members of the EU (a political union of nations) in order to have the cream of players, whether from Europe or the world.
Oh Fer Christ Sake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courteney Richards

Post by Oh Fer Christ Sake »

Another Leave campaigner whose only justification seems to, "bloody foreigners, comin' over 'ere".

I think we're fine as we are if that's the best you've got, cheers.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Oh Fer Christ Sake wrote:Another Leave campaigner whose only justification seems to, "bloody foreigners, comin' over 'ere".
I think we're fine as we are if that's the best you've got, cheers.
You've got it all wrong, idiot (I think I may safely use that word on this occasion without censure). Read all our posts on this thread again, carefully. Nobody, least of all me, has complained about foreigners, including footballers, coming here to live and work.

You also appear to have a strange and completely mistaken understanding of the 'Leave' campaign's attitude towards migrants and immigration. I'll try to make it clear to you, as briefly and simply as possible:

Immigrants from anywhere in the world are to be welcomed, provided they can make a useful contribution to UK society and economy. But it should be for the UK, not the EU, to decide who comes in, and how many, and from where. Which is no more nor less than every other country on earth does, with the exception of EU states. At present, and for as long as we remain in the EU, for the most part we cannot do that; our borders are completely open to the whole EU population. It's unacceptable that we cannot prevent unlimited numbers - whoever wants to come, including criminals - moving to the UK from other EU countries; neither can we deport them.

And the UK is currently the second most crowded nation on earth, behind Holland. Moreover, it is projected that in two or three years we will be the most densely populated nation on earth (I exclude city states such as Singapore). Because our borders are completely open to the EU populations. We have no control over them whatever. Unless we vote 'Leave'.

As to how all this affects our country's security and safety, see the link on the EU Referendum thread on the Popside forum: http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=100
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Gullscorer wrote: You've got it all wrong, idiot (I think I may safely use that word on this occasion without censure). Read all our posts on this thread again, carefully. Nobody, least of all me, has complained about foreigners, including footballers, coming here to live and work.

You also appear to have a strange and completely mistaken understanding of the 'Leave' campaign's attitude towards migrants and immigration. I'll try to make it clear to you, as briefly and simply as possible:

Immigrants from anywhere in the world are to be welcomed, provided they can make a useful contribution to UK society and economy. But it should be for the UK, not the EU, to decide who comes in, and how many, and from where. Which is no more nor less than every other country on earth does, with the exception of EU states. At present, and for as long as we remain in the EU, for the most part we cannot do that; our borders are completely open to the whole EU population. It's unacceptable that we cannot prevent unlimited numbers - whoever wants to come, including criminals - moving to the UK from other EU countries; neither can we deport them.

And the UK is currently the second most crowded nation on earth, behind Holland. Moreover, it is projected that in two or three years we will be the most densely populated nation on earth (I exclude city states such as Singapore). Because our borders are completely open to the EU populations. We have no control over them whatever. Unless we vote 'Leave'.

As to how all this affects our country's security and safety, see the link on the EU Referendum thread on the Popside forum: http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=100
So you don't like the EU deciding who can enter Europe and want the UK to decide who enters the UK. But why not break it down further? Surely the people of England should decide who enters England? And what do those bloody people in Hampshire know? The people of south west England should decide who enters the south west. In fact lets go further, why should people in Paignton have a say over who enters Torquay? But hey, you damned outsiders, only the people of TQ1 should decide who enters Plainmoor!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

Actually, Gullscorer's justification appears to be that the EU is too strict on immigration!

Here's a poster I found that should convince everyone in the bay to do the right thing!

wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Gullscorer wrote: You've got it all wrong, idiot (I think I may safely use that word on this occasion without censure). Read all our posts on this thread again, carefully. Nobody, least of all me, has complained about foreigners, including footballers, coming here to live and work.

Yes, but Holland is full of dikes..............oh dear! I don't think I can say that, it's not PC. :lol: :goodpost:
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Gullscorer wrote: And the UK is currently the second most crowded nation on earth, behind Holland.
Really?

Wikipedia has us at 51st.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... on_density
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

" Yes, but Holland is full of dikes..............oh dear! I don't think I can say that, it's not PC. !!!

Excuse me Wodger Holland has many beautiful straight ladies !! ;P ;-)
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Gullscorer wrote:And the UK is currently the second most crowded nation on earth, behind Holland. Moreover, it is projected that in two or three years we will be the most densely populated nation on earth (I exclude city states such as Singapore). Because our borders are completely open to the EU populations. We have no control over them whatever. Unless we vote 'Leave'.
Source please.

Because all the sources I found suggested top 40 or so depending on, although if must move the goalposts and 'exclude city states', that still quite a few above. Belgium, Vietnam, India, Netherlands.

So, no, not the 2nd most crowded nation.

source (because sources are better than just throwing statistics up hoping people will swallow them) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... on_density, and if you're not a fan of wikipedia this link is based on the UN reports http://statisticstimes.com/population/c ... ensity.php
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.