Who should Roy take to Euro 2016?

General chat about anything else goes here.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Who should Roy take to Euro 2016?

Post by madgull »

With the regular season drawing to close, and the announcement due on the 12th, I thought I'd open up the inevitable discussion about this summer's festivities. Here's my opinion on who I'd take, and where I'm not so sure:

Goalkeeper

Joe Hart
Fraser Forster
The absence of Butland only serves to reaffirm Joe Hart's place as England's first choice between the sticks, while Fraser Forster has proved himself a dependable pair of hands to call upon. The aforementioned loss of Jack Butland has, however, blown open the race for the third berth...

Ben Foster vs Tom Heaton
Seemingly in a two-horse race for the final goalkeeper sport with Tom Heaton. I know that Heaton is a good goalkeeper, but for me Ben Foster beats him on big-match experience. Heaton isn't exactly one for the future at 30 years of age, so right now I'd go for the man with greater experience.
Verdict: Foster

Right Back

Nathaniel Clyne
Kyle Walker
A very easy position to fill here, I know there is an argument for only taking one right back as some of our centre-halves are adept on the right, but for our style of play I think they lack in attacking prowess, so I'd rather have two natural wide defenders.

Left Back

Danny Rose
The absence of Butland only serves to reaffirm Joe Hart's place as England's first choice between the sticks, while Fraser Forster has proved himself a dependable pair of hands to call upon. The aforementioned loss of Jack Butland has, however, blown open the race for the third berth...

Luke Shaw vs Ryan Bertrand vs Kieran Gibbs
If he was fit, it would be a no-brainer to take Luke Shaw. However, he remains out and will miss Man Utd's match this weekend against Norwich. With the squad announced on Thursday, unless the United medical team have given some cast-iron assurance that Shaw will be fit (and that he will play the last three games of the season), then I'd have to leave him out. Therefore, it becomes very much Ryan Bertrand's spot to lose. I really like Kieran Gibbs, but I think Bertrand has simply done more this season to justify his place on the plane (or ferry?).
Verdict: Bertrand

Centre Half

Chris Smalling
Gary Cahill
John Stones
You don't win the Man Utd player's player of the year award without being pretty good, and Chris Smalling has come on leaps and bounds in this last season at Old Trafford. Right now, a Cahill-Smalling partnership looks like as strong a prospect as we can hope for. Whilst John Stones' form dropped off a little, he has looked like getting back to his old self in recent weeks, and so needs to be in the squad, both as an asset and for his own development. If we need a more defensive option at right back to close a game down, he will also see use.

Phil Jagielka vs Phil Jones
With Calum Chambers nowhere near the Arsenal squad, we are left with two men to consider for the final spot, and one of them is a rank outsider if I'm honest. Phil Jagielka looks set to take the spot almost by default, and with Phil Jones still recovering from injury (and according to reports playing awfully for the Under-21s), I can't really see a viable alternative. Well, unless Eric Dier somehow doesn't command a holding midfield spot, but I think that's very unlikely, so despite Jagielka definitely not being someone I would choose freely, he has to make it. I just hope we don't have to use him.
Verdict: Jagielka

Holding Midfield

Eric Dier
Dier is the only one nailed-on for a spot in my squad. His form for Spurs has been consistently excellent, and you can't ignore his great showings for the national team.

Jordan Henderson vs Jack Wilshere vs Wayne Rooney vs Danny Drinkwater vs James Milner vs Michael Carrick
I'm going to be honest: I really don't rate Jordan Henderson. He has been hyped up to be the new Steven Gerrard, but for me he is nowhere near that kind of level. Perhaps he will develop and prove me wrong, but he doesn't get a spot in my squad. I have also made no secret of my complete and utter disdain for James Milner. He represents everything wrong with English football: All brawn, no brains. HOWEVER, he is consistently played on the wing, whereas I centre midfield I quite like him. Jack Wilshere and Danny Drinkwater are both strong contenders, with Wilshere the antithesis of Milner's style of play but very fragile, and Danny Drinkwater simply demanding consideration given his achievements with Leicester. Michael Carrick is a dependable figure, but I don't know if his style of play will be suited to the national team's new, fast-paced identity. Wayne Rooney makes a late run for inclusion in this position due to recent events, and he has looked VERY good here; I think this is where his future lies, as a box-to-box midfielder. In this instance, he won't make a holding midfield spot, but that's only because I believe taking him as a striker with the option to play deeper is a better thing to do given the wealth of options in this area. Wilshere makes the shout as a ball-playing option, with Drinkwater as a more traditional, tidy choice.
Verdict: Wilshere and Drinkwater

Attacking Midfield

Dele Alli
Ross Barkley
With England often playing a 4-3-3, and Wilshere and Rooney more than comfortable in this role, I think there are only two players needed in this position, and they're both easy picks. Dele Alli simply has to start given his form for club and country, and Ross Barkley is an exciting, dynamic option off the bench.

Wide Midfield

Adam Lallana
Theo Walcott
Another position that seems under-equipped until you consider that Alli, Rooney, Welbeck and Vardy (SPOILERS!) all have the ability to play out wide. Theo Walcott, despite his tendency to misfire, is simply too dangerous for me to leave out, and Adam Lallana is a sold choice.

Raheem Sterling vs Jesse Lingard vs Andros Townsend vs James Milner
At the start of the season, Andros Townsend would get this final slot, no questions asked. Unfortunately for him, his form has tailed off, much the same as Raheem Sterling's has. That said, Sterling can, on his day, offer an unpredictable creative outlet. Jesse Lingard also needs to be considered here; even though he often plays more centrally for his club, his form and fearless attitude fits very nicely with the new-look England side. I actually shocked myself when I wrote down the fourth name in consideration for this spot, particularly when you read how I consider him to be everything wrong with English football. And yet, and yet...statistics don't lie. James Milner is the highest English player in terms of assist in the Premier League, and joint third overall, in the company of players like Payet, Mahrez, Eriksen and Silva. He offers something very different out wide, and is a good player in the middle. He can also obviously create chances when the shackles are taken off. Somehow, in spite of myself, he gets the nod.
Verdict: Milner

Striker

Harry Kane
Jamie Vardy
Wayne Rooney
Danny Welbeck
Probably the most well-rounded, complete strike force we have seen in a long time. Whether it's the aerial power of Kane, the pace of Vardy, the finesse of Rooney, or the combination of all of them with Welbeck, these four ensure that there is simply no need for Daniel Sturridge or Andy Carroll.

Final Squad

1. Joe Hart
2. Fraser Forster
3. Ben Foster
4. Nathaniel Clyne
5. Kyle Walker
6. Danny Rose
7. Ryan Bertrand
8. Chris Smalling
9. Gary Cahill
10. John Stones
11. Phil Jagielka
12. Eric Dier
13. Jack Wilshere
14. Danny Drinkwater
15. Dele Alli
16. Ross Barkley
17. Adam Lallana
18. Theo Walcott
19. James Milner
20. Harry Kane
21. Jamie Vardy
22. Wayne Rooney
23. Danny Welbeck

What does everyone else think? IMHO this won't be far off the final squad, with Henderson probably going instead of Drinkwater.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Your comment about Andros Townsend is frankly rather bizarre :O

In fact rather than starting the season well and then tailing off I would say it is almost exactly the opposite. He started the season at Spurs but only started 3 games (none in the Premier League). Then moved to Newcastle in the window and has been their best player since with 4 goals and 2 assists in 11 games.

Having said that I still wouldn't take him ;-)

I can't really disagree with any of your selections to be honest, although I'm sure Roy will take a fifth striker (Sturridge) at the expense of a right back (Clyne).
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Jerry wrote:Your comment about Andros Townsend is frankly rather bizarre :O

In fact rather than starting the season well and then tailing off I would say it is almost exactly the opposite. He started the season at Spurs but only started 3 games (none in the Premier League). Then moved to Newcastle in the window and has been their best player since with 4 goals and 2 assists in 11 games.

Having said that I still wouldn't take him ;-)

I can't really disagree with any of your selections to be honest, although I'm sure Roy will take a fifth striker (Sturridge) at the expense of a right back (Clyne).
Yeah I kinda forgot about him at Newcastle, Roy does like him and he ALWAYS scores for England, who knows? I'm also worried that Sturridge will be taken, I really dislike him, all I've seen is a very selfish player who makes awful decisions.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Good grief, I've read what you've selected and I can't honestly say We've any better.

Unfortunately, what we've got is piss poor, we've no chance IMHO.

I'll give you an example why. Recently newly capped England left back Danny Rose was described as still learning his trade as his defending is the weak part of his game.
WEAK PART OF HIS GAME? HE'S NOW AN INTERNATIONAL FULL BACK AND HIS WEAKNESS IS HIS DEFENDING!!!
Give me f**kin strength...........
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

The three 'keepers I agree with.

I can't see Roy (or anyone else) taking eight defenders, it'll be seven at most.
The two left backs will I think go but Walker will I think stay at home. Clyne will be first choice right-back with Stones, Smalling and Jagielka or Jones all able to play there. I actually think Jones may get the nod ahead of Jagielka for his ability to play in midfield as well as centre-half or right-back.

Dier will definitely go and I think Drinkwater definitely should. I don't think Wilshere deserves it. He has done nothing to warrant a place but that said, Roy seems to like him and I think if fit he will go, if not and he is fit Henderson will go although him or Wilshere will be a massive risk. The worst case here for me is that both Wilshere and Henderson go and Drinkwater misses out.
Carrick I think will miss out which will be thoroughly unfair. For everything Wilshere has not done to deserve a call up Carrick has done it. Man Utd have looked at their best this season only when he has played. He provides a massively mature reassuring presence in the middle of the park and should be there with bells on!

Milner will obviously go. Good old dependable James Milner. I actually really like him as a player and he is very versatile. Walcott I don't think will be going. Either Sterling or Townsend will go. I would have said Sterling but as he is struggling to get off Man City's bench at the moment and Townsend is Newcastle's best attacking player I think Townsend will get the nod.

Strikers will be as you suggest with the obvious addition of Sturridge, even if he's only half fit - as he proved last night, he is a special player.

So my squad would be...

1. Joe Hart
2. Fraser Forster
3. Ben Foster
4. Nathaniel Clyne
5. Danny Rose
6. Ryan Bertrand
7. Chris Smalling
8. Gary Cahill
9. John Stones
10. Phil Jones
11. Eric Dier
12. Jack Wilshere
13. Danny Drinkwater
14. Dele Alli
15. Ross Barkley
16. Adam Lallana
17. Andros Townsend
18. James Milner
19. Harry Kane
20. Jamie Vardy
21. Wayne Rooney
22. Danny Welbeck
23. Daniel Sturridge
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

A spare driver to bring them home after they go out in the group stages.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

A spare driver to bring them home after they go out in the group stages.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

One driver, or two?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by DJ Gull »

Think its a shame callum wilson got injured early on this season. Judging by Bournmouths opening fixtures he really looked like stepping up to the mark!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Definitely not Theo Walcott, neither Jack Wilshere (we have been down that road before with players) even though he has talent and would gladly have him if playing a few games a season. Not sure about Sturridge, has some skills but totally selfish at times, hasnt played a great amountof games and could quite easily get injured again.

I doubt Hodson would do it because he is a typical same old, same old stubborn stuck in his boring ways pick "his" players regardless England manager, but, what would be wrong with giving Jermain Defoe a crack, he is in way better form than most, has played a lot, has never let England down, has always scored goals and is a right bloody handful.

Personally, I really hope we do well and feel we could but unless we do exceptional or even with thing Hodgson should go, this is tournament 3, his contract is up, unless some smart **** gives him a new contract before seeing how we get on, like they did with Capello, we all know how that turned out.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

chunkygull wrote:Personally, I really hope we do well and feel we could but unless we do exceptional or even with thing Hodgson should go, this is tournament 3.
Ok, first question is "how far is 'exceptional'? I think QFs would be acceptable, and semi-finals would be great (although the 24 teams and the introduction of third place finshers qualified for 2R makes things confusing) - but we should really accept that England is one of a dozen teams in Europe that are behind the top echelon of Germany, Spain, France (and maybe Italy). So QF is par for the course.

As long as there is improvement on the world cup performance, that should be enough for Hodgson to stay on, especially if they play in a way that isn't..you know..really boring. (and based on the WC, that's possible)

Say Hodgson leaves - who would replace him? If you want an English manager that leaves who? There aren't any English managers who have anywhere near the level of experience (especially in the international game) as he does. Ok, so clinging onto Rooney is annoying, and he's not figured out who the best guys at full back are, but I can't think of anybody other English manager who'd be able to answer those questions either. And Hodgson *has* allowed young players the chance, like Dele Alli (sp?).
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I think England actually have a chance of doing something at this tournament - Leicester have shown that by playing as a team that anything is possible, which should encourage England. We do not necessarily have the 'stars' we have had previously, but should not be a barrier to success. We have two players in Vardy and Kane who are on form and can score goals, with someone like Alli behind them who can provide some creativity.

We had a bad world cup, but Italy and Spain also failed to make it out of the group, and France were poor in reaching the quarter finals. Spain still have some quality players but are not the team they were in 2010/2012, while Italy are in a similar place to us. France have some quality front players but are weak at the back and missing their best striker. The best two teams in Europe are Germany and Belgium, but on our day England can compete with all these teams.

The beauty of the Euro and World Cup format is that any team can go on a run of winning a handful of games to get far in the tournament.

I personally haven't rated Hodgson since he was England manager, but he oversaw an unbeaten qualifying so he has to be praised for that. He also showed when he was at Fulham that he can get a team working together and playing well in cup competitions. I do think his time should be up though unless we reach SF or Final - there just hasn't been enough progress in tournaments otherwise.

As for a replacement I personally don't think we need to go for somebody with experience. I thought Neville was going to be in with a good shout until his spell at Valencia. We have a good core group of young players in Stones, Alli, Kane etc and I would like to see the FA do something similar to Germany and appoint a young manager for a number of tournaments to allow them to grow together as a group over 3-4 tournaments. I would personally favour Howe or Dyche in the role.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

leetufc wrote: As for a replacement I personally don't think we need to go for somebody with experience. I thought Neville was going to be in with a good shout until his spell at Valencia. We have a good core group of young players in Stones, Alli, Kane etc and I would like to see the FA do something similar to Germany and appoint a young manager for a number of tournaments to allow them to grow together as a group over 3-4 tournaments. I would personally favour Howe or Dyche in the role.
Trouble is when you manage at the highest level, and in this case international level, you need someone with a wide range of experience and real understanding of different footballing cultures. Wouldn't automatically hold Gary Neville's time at Valencia against him, a club that's been in complete turmoil of late, and very difficult situation to go into and be successful.

You name Howe, no doubt an up and coming coach with huge potential, but only ever been successful with Bournemouth, remember his time at Burnley with far greater resources, could he make the step to international level, in time maybe.

Dyche, another one, sacked at Watford, done well with Burnley, however with the premier league parachute payments as they stand now, he had resources , that most managers at that level could only dream of, he should have won the league, any less would have been a disaster, he must keep them up this time around, as he was relegated with them last time around, could he make the step up, I'll reserve judgement on that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To me the biggest problem of all is not only the development of young English players, but young English managers. I think if our team doesn't make it through the group stages Hodgson will step aside anyway, and we'll shout and scream for an English, England manager.

But who ? who could do the job as well as Roy Hodgson has done ?

Lets look at premier league, forgive me if I have this wrong, but I can only see THREE English managers in there, and none in the top half of the league going onto European competitions. 14th Palace, 16th Bournemouth, 17th Sunderland, there's our problem.

The thing that is often missed, every time a major tournament comes around "if we don't win it sack the manager" we hear, but the England manager, like all the others, can only pick the best players our country has to offer, there's no transfer system at international football, money will not win you the world cup or the Euro's.

Only ONE team can win the world cup or the Euro's every 4 years, and considering Europe's almost total domination of the world cup in the last 50 years, winning the Euro's is no easy task.

Sometimes we have to temper our expectations. We're at a very transitional period at international level right now, we've seen the Lampard, Gerrard , Ferdinand era come to an end, a squad regularly made it into the last 8 of both world cups and Euro's competitions, we now have a squad full of players who barely have 10 caps between them, maybe not quite ready to challenge, 2018,2020 could be more profitable for us.

I heard many shout, England had a piss easy group, yes, so did Holland, they didn't qualify for the expanded finals, some would say was the easiest to qualify for ever, then look at how many teams that did, who are going to their first ever major tournament, or like Wales their first in over 50 years, it's the changing face of international football, where the easy 8.0 wins are not going exist any more.

Hodgson's first tournament doesn't count, he only got the job barely a few weeks before the team left, the last world cup was not great for English football, but "come on" the best available squad was full of a mix, of dads army old men and kids barely old enough to shave, thought Hodgson worked miracles just getting us there, no manager alive would have got us through that group.

I think Roy Hodgson has been an exceptional manager for us which for me is praise indeed, because I've been a harsh critic of English managers in the past, for their belief that players have to be experienced to play at international level, and how easy they bow to pressure from the media . He's had experience before with Switzerland, he's never been scared to blood young players at the right time to give them relevant international experience, preparing them for tournament football ahead, never bowed to pressure, and has developed a style of play as good as I've seen from an England team as long as I can remember.

If you want Hodgson sacked, in this case I'd say be careful what you wish for.

I think we should just celebrate the improvement in our game, if we look around the premier league, the international side, U21, U19 we can see that Deli Alli, is the start of a new breed of English player coming through, technically as good as anything our continental European/world rivals are producing, but it's going to take time, with a bit of patience I now believe we'll see England challenge again for the major competitions down the line, but we're not ready yet, so enjoy the Euro's, last 8 or better would be a real achievement.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I don't think experience is that important at International level. We have seen plenty of inexperienced managers having success at International level. Germany, Holland and Wales have all done well with managers some would deem to be too inexperienced.
The most important thing is man management. How well someone has dealt with a big budget doesn't matter a bit. It's all about how well they can bring a team together. How well they can get a group of players playing together.
Any manager who has gone in to a club and turned them around and got them playing well when it's not their team, when they've taken someone elses players and improved them then they will probably make a good international manager - which is why many Italians are calling for Ranieri to be their next boss - everything he has done at Leicester this season is what you want in an international manager.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084