Who should Roy take to Euro 2016?

General chat about anything else goes here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

PhilGull wrote:I don't think experience is that important at International level. We have seen plenty of inexperienced managers having success at International level. Germany, Holland and Wales have all done well with managers some would deem to be too inexperienced.
The most important thing is man management.
Agree on man management that's important in all walks of life. Don't agree with your point on Germany; Joachim Löw had managed at the top of Germany football, had experience of managing in both Turkey and Austria before spending 2 years as Germany's assistant before getting the top job, I'd say that's just the type of experience I'm referring to as vital.

Also don't agree with your point on Holland, yes they got to the 2010 world cup final with an relatively inexperience manager, but like Germany and unlike England had the team to do so, where by most managers could have achieved the same feat, however recent Dutch managers from the year 2000 onwards include Dick Advocaat, Louis van Gaal and Guus Hiddink I wouldn't say any of these guys lacked experience of managing around world football would you.

Yes on Wales agree.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I was thinking of Rijkaard, van Basten & van Marwijk for Holland and Völler & Klinsmann for Germany. All of whom had success in one way or another although admittedly none of them seemed to last. Klinsmann though can take a lot of credit for changes he implemented being at the root of a lot of Germanys recent success.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

PhilGull wrote:I was thinking of Rijkaard, van Basten & van Marwijk for Holland and Völler & Klinsmann for Germany. All of whom had success in one way or another although admittedly none of them seemed to last. Klinsmann though can take a lot of credit for changes he implemented being at the root of a lot of Germanys recent success.
Very true, however Rijkaard managed only Euro one semi-final, so did Terry Venables and Van Basten only ever made it to a round of 16 as Dutch manager, so not entirely sure that could be deemed as successful.

van Marwijk did, as I said make to the 2010 world cup final, but to repeat had the team available to do so. But the key thing here with most of the names you mentioned they ALL had massive experience of playing top level football around world and ALL had internationally experienced assistants and coaching staff.

So far the only two names to come up are Howe and Dyche, neither played in the premier league, or in Europe, neither have had coaching experience in Europe, both have no more than 2 years experience at managing in the premier league between them, it's 1 year each, if this is the best we have, we're in trouble.

On this I'd say we have two choices, stick with Roy or we have to go abroad again for an England manager as the problem as I've already covered lies deeper than that.

As a general point, to even begin to compare what's happened this season with Leicester City to international football is utter nonsense, it will turn out to be a one off remarkable achievement that will not be repeated for some time, since the birth of the premier league, we've seen 1 some times 2 of the top cash rich clubs have an off season, we've never seen all of them do it in the same season like this term, and I include Blackburn in that as they won the league off the back of Jack Walkers millions, team spirit and togetherness brought them through, but that will only work for short space of time, and will not cut the mustard at international level.

We have to go back to the point I made earlier, if an international manager happens to chance upon the best collection of footballers available in the world, like France, Holland, Spain and now Germany, you've got a chance of winning something.

Right now this is not England , what a manger do we think is going to turn us into a successful nation, any manager needs the players, what we should be doing is making sure our strategy for producing players and managers is right, and to make sure we give opportunities for our best players to play at the highest level, otherwise no manager will ever be able too fix our lack of success.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I disagree that you cannot compare Leicester this season to international football. What Leicester have achieved over the course of a Prem season is remarkable and I doubt it will happen again, however the ability to perform exceptionally well and above expectations suits international football perfectly. Tournaments usually last 6-7 games over the space of a month, therefore a team in form or playing above themselves can make a big impact. Holland during the last World Cup, Greece in 2004 are prime examples. You also see it in the Champions League from time to time with Porto 2004 and Liverpool 2005 examples of this.

Whilst it will usually be the best team that wins, such as Germany or Spain in recent tournaments, the nature of international competitions does leave it open to a shock occurring the best team losing in one-off game situations.

I still don't buy into the argument that experience is the be all and end all to international or top level management - it didn't help Eriksson or Capello to take England on to the next step.

I picked out Howe and Dyche as names as young managers performing well at the moment, to help guide a young squad over a period of years. I completely agree that we need to move away from the reaction after every tournament to sack the manager and we need to let a manager have a period of time to develop a team. I think Hodgson has done a good job, particularly in qualifying campaigns, however I want to see some progress in major tournaments. If this does not occur then I think we probably need a change in manager. However if we do well - either getting far or by looking competitive but being beaten by a better team then I think Hodgson would deserve another tournament.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Leetufc. your argument is valid and the points you reasonable, however surely it has to be understood there's a world of difference between domestic and international football, the reason why what Leicester achieved this season in the premier league can not be compared to international football is a simple one.

England nor any other nations team will NOT be playing against Swansea, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland, Stoke, Etc. They play against Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Spain, France, Germany and so on, your talking about teams with the best footballers in an individual team on the face of the planet, having a bit spirit and go about you will not be enough to win against these teams as was enough to see Leicester past the teams listed, you need a fair bit of quality as well.

Your point about Eriksson or Capello is a fair one, but again, if either of these managers had been in charge of Germany at the last world cup the end result would have probably been the same, or near to, again it goes back to the players each international manager can pick from at anyone time.

Roy Hodgson has managed all over the world, it might perhaps be prudent to bring the best young managers like Howe and Dyche and others in to the national set up part time along side their clubs roles so they can gain the experience.
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote:Recently newly capped England left back Danny Rose was described as still learning his trade as his defending is the weak part of his game.
WEAK PART OF HIS GAME? HE'S NOW AN INTERNATIONAL FULL BACK AND HIS WEAKNESS IS HIS DEFENDING!!!
Give me f**kin strength...........
That is hilarious! And true. But still, I wouldn't select Danny Rose over the other left backs.

I think Jamie Vardy and Harry Kane will be a real handful for all the teams in this competition, I'd be tempted to start with those two and put Wayne Rooney on the bench and use him as an impact player. I'm not convinced Marcus Rashford is ready for the step up, but the papers today were suggesting he may come in to replace Danny Welback. I would prefer Andy Carroll just for that ludicrous aerial presence.

I rate England's chances here. The stupid 24 team setup means England will have enormous trouble not getting through the group stage. The thing that may prove problematic is discipline, some of those younger players look prone to being wound up by the opposition. Nevertheless, I'm predicting a final against Germany and another potentially heartbreaking penalty shoot out.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Initial squad announced.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton.

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker, Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere.

Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy.

I'm guessing it will be Delph, Henderson/Wilshere & Sterling/Townsend/Rashford to miss out in the final 23.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

I'm neither here nor there on Delph, Henderson just isn't for me, Sturridge I still see as overrated and selfish, Sterling perhaps good as a bit of a flat track bully against the smaller teams but against the big sides? He'll get eaten alive. Rashford is a tricky one, he's shown he can slice open top quality defences but is it too soon? Delighted that Roy would rather use Dier instead of Jagielka at centre half; as I said I think Jagielka would be an absolute liability.

If Sturridge, Henderson and Sterling were to all pick up injuries tomorrow, I wouldn't fret.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular

Post by leetufc »

forevertufc wrote:Leetufc. your argument is valid and the points you reasonable, however surely it has to be understood there's a world of difference between domestic and international football, the reason why what Leicester achieved this season in the premier league can not be compared to international football is a simple one.

England nor any other nations team will NOT be playing against Swansea, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland, Stoke, Etc. They play against Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Spain, France, Germany and so on, your talking about teams with the best footballers in an individual team on the face of the planet, having a bit spirit and go about you will not be enough to win against these teams as was enough to see Leicester past the teams listed, you need a fair bit of quality as well.

Your point about Eriksson or Capello is a fair one, but again, if either of these managers had been in charge of Germany at the last world cup the end result would have probably been the same, or near to, again it goes back to the players each international manager can pick from at anyone time.

Roy Hodgson has managed all over the world, it might perhaps be prudent to bring the best young managers like Howe and Dyche and others in to the national set up part time along side their clubs roles so they can gain the experience.
I think what Leicester achieved is a far harder task than winning either the World Cup or Euro Champs for a team (country) with those resources at their hand. To say Leicester won the league because they had to play teams such as Swansea etc does them a disservice as over 38 games they only lost three times (to Arsenal x 2 and Liverpool)

Most teams who win a major tournament will only play the other bigger nations in probably three games (QF, SF and Final) - they may potentially get another game in the groups or earlier, but generally they will also have to play lower and middle ranked nations along the way.

Germany winning the World Cup was not a gimme this year - they struggled past Algeria and France in the knockouts and only beat Argentina in extra time - to indicate that any experienced manager could have done the same job is belittling Low's achievement.

I agree it would be good to bring in a young manager to assist and follow someone more experienced, as Germany did with Low and Klinsmann would be a good idea, although Germany was Klinsmann's first job, and he managed to do alright in 2006 without experience.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular

Post by leetufc »

madgull wrote:I'm neither here nor there on Delph, Henderson just isn't for me, Sturridge I still see as overrated and selfish, Sterling perhaps good as a bit of a flat track bully against the smaller teams but against the big sides? He'll get eaten alive. Rashford is a tricky one, he's shown he can slice open top quality defences but is it too soon? Delighted that Roy would rather use Dier instead of Jagielka at centre half; as I said I think Jagielka would be an absolute liability.

If Sturridge, Henderson and Sterling were to all pick up injuries tomorrow, I wouldn't fret.
Agree about Delph - surprised he made the squad and hope he is one of the three cut. Dier instead of Jagielka was a great decision by Roy. Sterling has potential but has been poor this season, and Henderson was looking good earlier this season but been underpar and injured of late.

I like Sturridge, he has the ability to produce that moment of quality which can win games (as he showed against Sevilla - although they didn't win!).

I hope Roy decides to keep Rashford in his squad and select all five strikers, at the expense of a midfielder and use Rooney as cover for the midfield place.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

told you he should take the coach.. its useful to get them home
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843