Leave.EU Torbay

General chat about anything else goes here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Rather some "lame expensive" president that can be voted in, than a monarchy that remains unelected....

Voted in by whom?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Whoever is registered to vote....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Whoever is registered to vote....

President Juncker was chosen by the European Commission (or Merkel...).
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Fine example of BBC (lack of) balance and impartiality on Question Time from Dundee yesterday: there were six people on the panel, five of them (Ruth Davidson, John Swinney, Jennie Marra, Willie Rennie, and Patrick Harvie) were pro-EU, and just one (Tim Stanley) was for Brexit.

One can understand the balance shifting by one person either way in different programmes, but five to one?

To maintain an overall balance of opinion over the whole campaign, I should expect to see a programme sometime with a balance of four to one for the Leave campaign, but I won't hold my breath.. :-/
Last edited by Gullscorer on 11 Mar 2016, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Synopsis for last night's Question Time:

"David Dimbleby presents Question Time from Dundee. On the panel: leader of the Scottish Conservatives Ruth Davidson MSP, deputy first minister of Scotland John Swinney MSP, Labour's health spokeswoman Jenny Marra MSP, leader of the Scottish Liberal Democrats Willie Rennie MSP, co-convener of the Scottish Greens Patrick Harvie MSP and Daily Telegraph columnist Tim Stanley."

Seems like a pretty fair and balanced panel to me. Representatives of the leadership of all the main political parties in Scotland and a right-wing journalist to try and keep little Englanders happy because Scotland's polictics is quite left-wing (obviously that didn't work!)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Like I said, five for remaining in the EU, one for leaving the EU. How you can say that seems balanced is something most people would not be able to get their heads around.

Hard to believe the BBC couldn't strike a fairer balance simply because the programme was in Scotland; there are pro- and anti- EU people in all the political parties there, so that's no excuse. And this on top of the long-standing pro-EU bias of the Newsnight and Today programmes.

I'm waiting now for a Question Time featuring five 'Leave' campaigners, to strike a balance before the referendum; I suspect I'll be waiting a long, long time..
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Boris Johnson on Obama interference: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ld-we.html
Tony Blair criticises British workers: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... stead.html
Here's the entire EU debate in 9 words: Do you want to be a servant of Brussels?
http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/ ... ssels.html

The European Union is doomed: whether we stay in or get out, it's a ship heading for the rocks, and there's nothing we can do about that, so best to get out now and avoid the chaos of such things as the Euro-zone crisis, open borders, mass migration, regulations causing our industries to close down, and red tape stifling our businesses. The United Kingdom of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and Northern Ireland, is the only union worth saving, and, since we pay far more into the EU than we get out, Brexit would also save our nation a hell of a lot of money which could be put to better use..
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Seriously Gullscorer, do you never get bored of your paranoia?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

PhilGull wrote:Seriously Gullscorer, do you never get bored of your paranoia?

No Phil, I get bored of people (invariably those with opposing views) calling it paranoia.. :)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

That isn't boredom, it's paranoia ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

EU benefits? Did you know, for every £1 sent to the EU by British taxpayers, just 68p is returned to the UK in grants and subsidies !!

On a research paper by Dr Savvas Savouri of asset managers Toscafund:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04 ... -the-squa/