The European Union: We're out...!!!

General chat about anything else goes here.

The European Union: In or Out?

Poll ended at 07 Aug 2016, 15:29

1. The UK should stay in the EU.
30%
2. The UK should leave the EU.
70%

Total votes: 335

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 08 Jul 2017, 11:20 You only have to read and listen to what Len mccluskey was and others close to Corbyn were saying just days before the election that Corbyns performance came as a complete shock to everyone, was it down to free tuition, the poor performance of May and the Tories, or Corbyn's policies, the last election proved 6 weeks can be along time in politics let alone 6 months, time will tell.
Not a complete shock to anyone who really knew what Jeremy stands for; who ignored the sinister character assassinations in the right wing press with a paid agenda to adhere to; to anyone who has had the privilege to have him as their MP and who has both spoken to him and seen him address the public in meetings.

Jeremy lives in a community along with people like Boris Johnson, Margaret Hodge, Emily Thornberry, and Francis Maude; not one of whom contribute to that community, partake in it's daily life or genuinely care and seek to better it's people's lives in the manner that he does.

That realisation of just who he is in comparison to the parasite Johnson, the ice cold May and the calculating Duncan-Smith, Gove and others finally overwhelmed and marginalised the Tories. Much remains to be done, but it is Labour who have put in the hard miles at community level, knocked on doors, and created a future vote amongst the young that the right are too haughty and arrogant to contemplate. It is the young who are so vehemently opposed to Brexit and it is the young on whom May and the dinosaurs are selfishly inflicting such disadvantage.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

merse btpir wrote: 06 Jul 2017, 22:48
The FACT is that with the prospect of parliamentarians from both sides of the House using a series of votes on the Repeal Bill and other Brexit laws to rip up some of Mrs May’s “red lines” that stand in the way of a 'Norway-style' deal on trade. This hung parliament can exert a really powerful influence because everything changed on June 8th when the Prime Minister lost her majority.
Mrs May will realise how much things have changed when she starts to lose amendments on the Repeal Bill. Support has grown among backbenchers for a deal that would keep the UK in the European Economic Area, which Mrs May flatly ruled out and she will find that the most powerful and influential people in the House now will be the Leader of the Opposition and those tabling the amendments..........
Theresa May will ask Jeremy Corbyn for his support in delivering Brexit and pushing through legislation as she faces up to the “reality I now face as Prime Minister”....

On Tuesday Mrs May will make a direct appeal to opposition parties to “contribute, not just criticise” and help “clarify and improve” her policies in the Commons instead of undermining them. It comes at a time Mrs May's leadership is at its weakest, amid open calls by Tory MPs for her to stand down following her failure to secure a majority at the election. Her comments are likely to spark fear among pro-Brexit Conservatives that Mrs May is willing to compromise on their ambition for a hard Brexit. However the Prime Minister is determined not to soften her position on Brexit and insists that ending the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice and leaving the Single Market and Customs Union remain a red line.

Speaking at the launch of a review into modern working practices, the Prime Minister will say: “When I commissioned this report I led a majority government in the House of Commons. The reality I now face as Prime Minister is rather different. In this new context, it will be even more important to make the case for our policies and our values, and to win the battle of ideas both in Parliament as well as in the country. So I say to the other parties in the House of Commons… come forward with your own views and ideas about how we can tackle these challenges as a country. We may not agree on everything, but through debate and discussion – the hallmarks of our Parliamentary democracy ~ ideas can be clarified and improved and a better way forward found.”

As I said: 'This hung parliament can exert a really powerful influence because everything changed on June 8th when the Prime Minister lost her majority.' Mrs May will realise how much things have changed when she starts to lose amendments on the Repeal Bill. Support has grown among backbenchers for a deal that would keep the UK in the European Economic Area, which Mrs May flatly ruled out and she will find that the most powerful and influential people in the House now will be the Leader of the Opposition and those tabling the amendments'
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Jacob Rees-Mogg for Conservative leader.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Just ignore it...I'm sure the Admins will soon put a stop to whoever has hacked Danny's account.

If you bear in mind that it's only just over 2 months since Danny was confidently stating:

'The Prime Minister has brought the Conservatives back to their true, core beliefs and that is why I have confidence in the Conservative Party. Theresa May is the strong leader we need during these tough times of negotiations with the EU. She is a leader who believes what she says and will do what she says and that’s why I can fully support her and her Party'.

Then it's stretching credibility that you're going to convince anyone that he could become such a turncoat in that short period of time. Not just weak or half hearted support, but full support pledged to Prime Minister May. Not the sort of loyalty you can just chuck out of the window and conveniently nail your colours somewhere else, even when the person you'd championed is still in office.

Danny has made it clear that he has enormous admiration for Theresa May. 'She is a leader who believes what she says' states Danny. It's a quality he admires, and naturally, by the same token, when he declares he fully supports her, then what he says must also be believable. Therefore to attempt to paint Danny as a fair weather supporter of Mrs.May who would even contemplate jumping ship to the Rees-Mogg camp is a disgrace.

Sorry this has happened Danny. I hope the imposter is dealt with soon
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Alpine Joe wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 23:50 Just ignore it...I'm sure the Admins will soon put a stop to whoever has hacked Danny's account.

If you bear in mind that it's only just over 2 months since Danny was confidently stating:

'The Prime Minister has brought the Conservatives back to their true, core beliefs and that is why I have confidence in the Conservative Party. Theresa May is the strong leader we need during these tough times of negotiations with the EU. She is a leader who believes what she says and will do what she says and that’s why I can fully support her and her Party'.

Then it's stretching credibility that you're going to convince anyone that he could become such a turncoat in that short period of time. Not just weak or half hearted support, but full support pledged to Prime Minister May. Not the sort of loyalty you can just chuck out of the window and conveniently nail your colours somewhere else, even when the person you'd championed is still in office.

Danny has made it clear that he has enormous admiration for Theresa May. 'She is a leader who believes what she says' states Danny. It's a quality he admires, and naturally, by the same token, when he declares he fully supports her, then what he says must also be believable. Therefore to attempt to paint Danny as a fair weather supporter of Mrs.May who would even contemplate jumping ship to the Rees-Mogg camp is a disgrace.

Sorry this has happened Danny. I hope the imposter is dealt with soon

What are you going on about? I can assure you that my account hasn't been hacked, but please enlighten me if you know otherwise.

I stand by Theresa May being the right leader at a certain time as this. We need to get on with Brexit and the deal that Theresa May is going for. Her disastrous social care policy totally messed her majority up, however, she still has the largest Party. Talking in Parliamentary terms, May is the strongest leader in UK Politics right now and the only person who can lead us into these tough times of EU negotiations. We also have people like David Davis and Boris Johnson who are strong Brexitiers within these conversations.

Theresa May has brought the Conservatives back to their true beliefs. Traditionally Eurosceptic, but because of Corbyn's hard-Left stance, naturally, the Tories have moved closer to the Right than Cameron's Liberals. This is why I have confidence in the Conservatives, because UKIP are no longer, I don't like Corbyn, I don't like the Lib Dems. I still believe that the Conservatives will give us the Brexit we voted for. To take that further, because of their policy cock up, Brexit is all the Tories have!

Whether you like May or not, she is a person who believes what she says for these EU negotiations and will give us a true Brexit. I fully support May in her efforts and the entire Conservative Party to give us a time of stability during these two years.

However, after we get a deal that we all voted for on June 23rd 2016, I think a Conservative leadership change would be necessary. I would love to see Jacob Rees-Mogg as leader because I think it would be fantastic, but it's not as likely as someone like Boris.

So, thank you for your post, it entertained me.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 11 Jul 2017, 15:20 Whether you like May or not, she is a person who believes what she says for these EU negotiations and will give us a true Brexit. I fully support May in her efforts and the entire Conservative Party to give us a time of stability during these two years.
You're having a laugh aren't you?

The Government is weak and divided. The EU is confident and uncompromising. The negotiation clock is ticking and only the wilfully deluded now believe that a “cake-and-eat-it” will be achieved. At the moment I reckon the most likely scenario is that Britain becomes so desperate for a trade deal that it is forced to accept the EU’s terms, more or less in their entirety. That will mean that Britain agrees to pay a bill of up to €100bn in gross terms, merely to get trade negotiations going. To then secure access to the single market, Britain would have to make further humbling concessions ~ accepting free movement of people and the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice ~ and I hope they do because in my opinion these factors are precious assets to our community and society; far too precious to lose to a bunch of right wing bigots.

An alternative humiliating outcome would involve Britain refusing to make an agreement on these terms and crashing out of the EU without a deal in March 2019. British goods and lorries would then stack up at the Channel ports as they hit new trade and customs barriers ~ amid general sniggering on the other side of the channel. Job losses would mount in manufacturing and a range of service industries, from finance to pharmacuticals. And as investment was diverted to continental Europe, the economy would take a permanent hit.
dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 11 Jul 2017, 15:20

However, after we get a deal that we all voted for on June 23rd 2016
Excuse me? We didn't all vote for it; we voted over it. There is a mighty difference between actualite and that which you post.

Over 33 million people voted, with 17 million backing Leave (51.9 per cent) compared to 16 million voting to Remain (48.1 per cent). The Leave camp won by just 3.8 per cent..that is decidedly NOT what 'we all voted for'.

In the 1975 referendum, when the UK last voted on Europe, over 67 per cent of voters backed membership of the then European Economic Community ~ now THAT was a majority!

Let's have less of the crap and more of the truth!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Merse, you're a typically Remain voter who can't get over the fact that you lost. Get over it.

If it was 52% Remain and 48% Leave you would be saying that the vote was quite substantial. It was a majority. Democracy wins. That's that.

We voted to Leave and that means we are leaving.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

No, I'm a realist looking behind the headlines to make a sensible appraisal and asking pertinent questions as to how this bunch of no marks are going to achieve what you expect them to.

Haven't you noticed how Conservative politicians exit stage left once they have been discredited? Cameron, Johnson, Osborne to be followed by May before long........and voting for leaving no more means actually leaving than more realistically trying to leave on the terms Brexit voters expect. That's a whole lot different ball game!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 11 Jul 2017, 17:58 Merse, you're a typically Remain voter who can't get over the fact that you lost. Get over it.

If it was 52% Remain and 48% Leave you would be saying that the vote was quite substantial. It was a majority. Democracy wins. That's that.

We voted to Leave and that means we are leaving.
Democracy won, yes, but Merse was pointing out that your initial post stated that "we" ALL voted to leave, when it is very clear that not everybody did.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 11 Jul 2017, 21:06 Democracy won, yes, but Merse was pointing out that your initial post stated that "we" ALL voted to leave, when it is very clear that not everybody did.

"We all" is simply referring to the majority, a term used many times to describe the winning argument. Quite clearly, not every single person voted to LEAVE, but I would argue that the vast number of REMAIN voters now want to get on with Brexit.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 11 Jul 2017, 23:01 "We all" is simply referring to the majority, a term used many times to describe the winning argument. Quite clearly, not every single person voted to LEAVE, but I would argue that the vast number of REMAIN voters now want to get on with Brexit.
But I would argue that a great many of Brexit voters now (and especially will in the future) live to regret their actions. YOU say you live in Colorado; if that is so you don't have to live with the consequences of your actions ~ I do!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 12 Jul 2017, 06:44 But I would argue that a great many of Brexit voters now (and especially will in the future) live to regret their actions. YOU say you live in Colorado; if that is so you don't have to live with the consequences of your actions ~ I do!
Relax. Try some positive thinking for a change, you'll feel a lot better.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 12 Jul 2017, 16:58 Try some positive thinking for a change, you'll feel a lot better.
Mmmn.......like those who predicted a Tory majority at the General Election of 140 eh?

Very perceptive; I must say and if that was an indication of positive thinking then apply it to the fact that Theresa May is today hanging on in office, aided by the shabby Velcro of her £1 billion deal with the DUP with, her chances of completing a second year seemingly shaky at best.

In truth, the PM’s decline has been precipitate. When she called a snap election on April 18th she was perceived by people like you to be indomitable ~ the only variable being the scale of the landslide that the voters would grant her. Her plan, she said, was to thwart “opposition politicians who want to stop me from getting the job done” and to end their alleged “political game-playing” over Brexit.

It is a measure of how far she has fallen that yesterday, in her speech at the launch of the Taylor Review, she was reduced to the role of the supplicant ~ asking the very same opposition parties that she so recently accused of sabotage “to come forward with your own views and ideas about how we can tackle these challenges as a country”. She got a Labour Party manifesto personally signed by Jeremy! :lol:

Stay positive! :rofl:
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Actually Merse. your only looking at one side of the coin. I'm pretty sure the EU will want to negotiate a trade deal because without if they will have millions of their own countrymen marching on their gates wanting to know why their jobs are at risk because their employers can't export to us. The trade deal and all necessary legislation are not just on our exports its on our imports too. and they export an awful lot more to us than we buy from them. so they are in surplus to us. Do you really think they will jeopardise that over a tit for tat argument. that would not just be throwing their toys out of the pram but cutting their nose off to spite their faces
Last I looked the trade deficit in their favour was 60 Billion Pounds. we export £230 billion but the EU sells us £290 Billion there is no way on earth they are going to want to cut out 60 billions worth of goods. that's an awful lot of jobs.
O did Vote out but against the increasingly demagogic so-called democracy that was over ruling our own laws. Thye fish industry has been decimated. the agricultural policy is a bankrupt idea Yes I See a certain amount of free movement for jobs is essential but the policy as it stood has put such a strain on our resources that we cannot now provide affordable homes for anyone let alone immigrants looking for work.
Our health service is stretched beyond its limits. as now 65000000 looks to it for all their answers and the welfare state has dumped on the Disabled and less well off both by the Conservatives and Labour consistently. it's not all down to one government policies its collective policy over a long long period of time.
Yes, some Public view of Disability is returning to sense now that they are seeing that people really are dying from the media hyped Hyperbole that swept us all up at scroungers, but it's going to take a long time before sanity is restored. and the EU was only going to make it worse in the long term.
look at the way labour disputes are treated here to France. do you think the French really viewed us as brothers in arms? did they heck. we might have saved their bacon in WW2 but that's as far as it got. anything the farmers don't like and they effectively close our borders for us. blocking roads regularly with anything they can think of so we can't get into or out of their ports. yet if we try that there is an outcry from them. meat products hmm don't get me started. they export stuff to us that has been shown to be dodgy on more than one occasion yet are we allowed to do it. No, we get huge fines. Until we play with a level playing field and all abide by the rules then we are the whipping boys who will always pay through the nose because that's cricket old boy. bananas Beef Lamb Pork chicken you name it and there have been problems with it. and don't even start on the airways. he trucking industry in Europe. particularly France has crippled many of our own road hauliers, They clamp down on our drivers over there with draconian measure yet by and large get away with it when they transgress on our shores. and fit super-sized diesel tanks to avoid putting anything into our economy yet we have to continually put into theirs. The Eu is just as dog eat dog as anything other country. there is nothing to be gained in the end except bigger bills.
Oligarchs rule in Brussels. are elected with no recourse from the public at large. we don't get a say if a minister is corrupt. We can if we want, vote them out in our country, but can we do that with the EU Oligarchs. nope, not on your nelly. They get away with impunity. Is it any wonder we lost faith in Europe.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

So can the Government actually step up in these very difficult circumstances and deliver a unified response?

Day after day; we hear different members of it making totally incompatible statements as regards their negotiating stance. The EU team are remarking that the Government has yet to really begin it's setting out of exactly what they want; no plan to guide government departments through structural and legal changes needed for the UK to leave the EU. A new customs system, needs to be ready two months before Britain is supposed to leave the EU; do you think that looks likely?

The Repeal Bill is due to be published today and then the Government will be fire fighting on all counts in Parliament.

There will need to be hundreds of new projects launched by government departments and hundreds of project managers recruited to help implement Brexit, as well as more than a thousand statutory instruments. Can you see it all being in place within the next eighteen months? Especially as this government doesn't even carry a majority!

Because of Brexit, the new customs declaration service which will be required will demand that officials are then forced to manually process imports and exports. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) estimates that the number of annual customs declarations will rise from 55 million to 255 million after March 2019........will all that be in place in time? As it is the new system for processing imports and exports, which was signed off before the referendum vote, is expected to be completed just two months before the Brexit deadline of March 2019.

Has the expenditure of more money and resources needed be spent on ensuring that there is a working system in place on day one of the UK’s future outside the EU been put to Parliament yet? No; of course it hasn't.

Theresa's still in bed with her face cream on and the ball has started Andrew. Her servants are all late for work and her carriage to take her to the big event hasn't even been booked and now she's phoning her hoped for new friend Jeremy for a lift! :Oops: