NEW ENGLISH ANTHEM

General chat about anything else goes here.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

NEW ENGLISH ANTHEM

Post by chunkygull »

Heard on the radio about mp's voting on whether England can have its own anthem or not, many believe it would be better for our various sporting national teams in their respective events rather than borrowing the British anthem which many complain is drab,old hat and boring.

There were some silly sugggestions and some good but obvious ones with the two front runners being Jerusalem and Land Of Hope And Glory.

Land Of Hope And Glory I wouldnt have a problem with, I dont quite get the Jerusalem thing and only really associate it with rugby anyway.

It wouldnt be a bad idea if a few brand new ditties were composed and the public got to choose, why should we leave something like that to a few boring old fuddy duddy politicians, loads of whom are Scottish now anyway.

What do we think guys?
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

As if MPs had nothing more important to discuss!

This is all to prepare us for the break-up of the UK into smaller entities of the EU, when we will be ruled from Brussels and democracy will be done away with. There will be no point in words, ditties, or lyrics; parliament itself will be pointless.

Anyway, I suggest either the theme tune from The Archers (BBC Radio 4) or the music from Captain Pugwash.. :engflag:
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Jerusalem is just as much of a boring dirge as God Save the Queen and too religious for my liking. Land of Hope and Glory is more a British song than specifically English.

We need an uplifting song, something that will get the crowd going, get the players fired up.

Personally there is only one choice i can think of..

I present to you, England's next Anthem!

[youtube]btPJPFnesV4[/youtube]
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Gullscorer wrote:As if MPs had nothing more important to discuss!

This is all to prepare us for the break-up of the UK into smaller entities of the EU, when we will be ruled from Brussels and democracy will be done away with. There will be no point in words, ditties, or lyrics; parliament itself will be pointless.

Anyway, I suggest either the theme tune from The Archers (BBC Radio 4) or the music from Captain Pugwash.. :engflag:
At this point I don't know if this a parody of yourself or you're being deadly serious. Either way, top marks on managing to shoehorn the EU into a discussion on a possible new English national anthem.

We should go for Land of Hope and Glory in my opinion.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Not a parody, OG, nor a serious analysis of the issues; merely a surreptitious attempt to get people to look beneath the surface of things, beyond what is presented to them, and to think for themselves.

In this instance, rather than merely thinking about choosing an anthem, to think about why this issue has arisen: are we not one nation in these islands, or a squabbling self-interested group of four, each with their own anthem, and since the EU aspires to be ultimately one nation, what should our future be? But no, most people will simply, and simplistically, think only about choosing an English anthem.

PhilGull, Jerusalem was originally a poem by William Blake, and as I understand it he was protesting about the coming industrial revolution and the way society was developing at the time, hence those 'dark satanic mills'.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

There doesn't always have to be a deeper, hidden meaning Gullscorer. In this case someone has simply pointed out that while God Save The Queen is perfectly fine to be played at sporting events involving a Great Britain team it would perhaps be better for England sporting teams to follow the lead set by Wales and Scotland and to have our own 'anthem' to be played at events.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

You're quite correct, PhilGull, there isn't always an ulterior meaning. However, one should always be aware of the possibility of a hidden reason for what is presented to us by politicians and the media. (And I've always loved conspiracy theories!)

Besides which, the question remains: since we are one nation, why do we persist with separate teams and anthems? Purely on a sporting level, I suppose it matters not at all. But there are wider implications..

As to Jerusalem, for information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_did_t ... cient_time
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

not Land of Hope and Glory; still religious, and it also harkens back to colonial times ("wider and wider still")

Jerusalem is just as bad.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

PhilGull wrote:Jerusalem is just as much of a boring dirge as God Save the Queen and too religious for my liking. Land of Hope and Glory is more a British song than specifically English.

We need an uplifting song, something that will get the crowd going, get the players fired up.

Personally there is only one choice i can think of..

I present to you, England's next Anthem!

[youtube]btPJPFnesV4[/youtube]
I wouldnt have a problem with that, it gets my vote! :-D
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).