MAYWEATHER VS PACQUIAO

General chat about anything else goes here.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

MAYWEATHER VS PACQUIAO

Post by chunkygull »

Is it me or has this been just a complete over-hyped, over-priced, boring farce.

I have been a boxing fan since I was a little kid and have watched many gtreat fights and fighters since that time. I have many old videos, dvds and books of past greats, notably Muhammad ali, Sugar Ray Robinson and many heavy and middleweights, my knowledge of many boxers from the 1890's up to the 1990's was pretty good. Ali is my favourite for more reasons than just boxing.

But all this crap with the likes of these two just leaves me cold. Mayweather has no respect for the sport, its all about money, although he is good I always found him boring to watch so I stopped bothering. I so wanted Ricky Hatton to beat him a few years ago, Hatton had the referee against him as well as Mayweather and frustration got the better of him ending in a ko. Pacquiao is good but is now past it. These two should have fought 5 or 6 years ago and given the people what they really wanted, but thanks to the politics which has really destroyed boxing it wasnt meant to be. The P R that has gone into this has been massive but the two fighters have really been poor, Mayweather put a lot in and then as soon as the numbers were done, targets reached and all sold out he stopped and refused to give anymore, Pacquiao has barely done a thing, barely grunting two words at a highly anticipated press conference.

I cant help thinking about how people have been suckered in by two blokes well past their best who purposely avoided each other for years so they didnt put their reputation on the line. $99 in the USA to watch on PPV, £20 on sky box 0ffice (which I wont be paying), tickets up to $300 grand to be in the arena. They will likely do it all again if there isnt a clear knockout.

Mind you look at the money this has generated, $500 MILLION is estimated with the boxers sharing $300 MILLION of that. 60/40 for Mayweather. I remember Tyson at his peak vs Michael Spinks in a very hyped fight that at that point was the richest of all time, Tyson earning $15 MILLION. People were astounded at such numbers. After all the money generated and shelled out by the fans the fight lasted 91 seconds. I would laugh my ass off if that happened again tonight.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Just find a stream and watch it ;-)

Like you say, it should have happened 5 years ago when I think Manny would have won but now I think Floyd will prevail as all good Floyds do :-D
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

I agree with you that Pacquiao would have won a few years ago. I thought about looking for a stream but there is no guarantee what time it starts and I have got work at 7. I just cant be bothered with this fight for a few reasons, possibly because it should have happened before, possibly because of the obscene amount of money involved and that irks me because of how some real great fighters never earnt a fraction of that in their whole career, it is just leaving me cold and i cant quite put my finger on it.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Go to bed and get up early. Itll be about 4.30am i reckon ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Southampton Gull wrote:Just find a stream and watch it ;-)
Like you say, it should have happened 5 years ago when I think Manny would have won but now I think Floyd will prevail as all good Floyds do :-D
Him and Rick Stein.. :-D
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Typical mind numbing Mayweather fight and for me it proved that Pacquiao is finished at the top level. 3 losses in his last 6 fights and hasn't stopped an opponent for 6 years. I reckon when he got Ko'd by Marquez it took something out of him that he has never got back. Time to stick to the politics now.