BEST CHRISTMAS FILMS EVER!

General chat about anything else goes here.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

BEST CHRISTMAS FILMS EVER!

Post by chunkygull »

Well its that time of year again, stress, panic, tension, spending too much, eating too much, drinking too much (not me).

I go a little bit ott about christmas as the wife will tell you, I drive her mad with the decorations and turning the house into santas grotto, the songs in the car, buying presents and thinking about christmas for 8 months of the year as well as fussing over buying the right thoughtful presents for people, all the while as the big day comes closer banging on about the true meaning and peace and goodwill, why cant people be nicer to each other more often etc.

You would think I would like life to be like one of those dodgy, sickly, non realistic, happy ending, predictable christmas films wouldnt you. Well to be fair thats my wifes biggest christmas irritant, me with the christmas films. Ya see all through December I watch constant christmas films and as the big day approaches I have a set play list of all my favourites on dvd and they probably are the best ones, as well as squeezing in just about every other film I can including some of those really dodgy, corny made for tv American crappy ones that can be found on channel 5, true movies and christmas 24.

As December 25th approaches I play my top favourite films in counting down order, culminating on Christmas Eve with my top 3. The finale is always Scrooged with Bill Murray, theres just something about that version that gets me and always brings a little tear to my eye. Its that last bit with Murrays speech, absolutely sublime and a lot of it was ad-libbed. Ive just finished watching it and I actually watched the ending again.

The order of favorite for some of the list may change but my top 11 pretty much stays the the same.

I dont watch any Christmas films after Christmas Eve, I cant abide that for some reason, for me they are all about the build up and dont really make sense after Dec 24th. Indeed my favourite day of the year is Dec 24th, for me its all about the build up. the atmosphere and anticipation. Apart from spending time with close family, giving out their gifts and watching the Doctor Who christmas special, it all falls a bit flat after the 24th.

Anyway, this list of films, apart from 3 I have watched them all this month and they are great, probably had too much time on my hands and its been ideal just sticking them on the telly whilst perched on my exercise bike having my daily workouts( 8 stone down and counting!) There are a few films missing which would be on many others lists, but some I dont have, might not have seen or dont neccesarily rate, notably Its a Wonderful life, whilst number one on many lists I have never managed to watch it all without falling asleep. It is a great ending, possibly one of the best, but the rest of the film is a yawnfest and they always stick it on tv on something like the 28th or 29th, which is frankly ridiculous, it just doesnt work after Christmas Eve..

Right well Im off to watch Blackadders Christmas Carol, thats on a whole other list along with a few Only Fools and Horses christmas Specials.

Heres my list, whats yours?

1. Scrooged.
2. National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.
3. Elf.
4. The Grinch.
5. Home Alone.
6. Home alone 2. (watched all 5, but 3 are rubbish)
7. Fred Claus.
8. Santa Claus the Movie.
9. The Santa Claus.
10. Gremlins.
11. Deck The Halls.
12. Trading Places. (Higher on fave comedy list)
13. Arthur Christmas.
14. The Santa Claus 2.
15. A Christmas Carol. (Jim carrey)
16. Jingle All the way.
17. Miracle On 34th Street (1994)
18. Bad Santa.
19. Santa Who?
20. Lethal Weapon. (Higher on a normal film list)
21. Die Hard.
22. The Long Kiss Goodnight.
23. Eight Crazy Nights.
24. Die hard 2.
25. The Santa Claus 3.
26. Miracle On 34th Street. (1947)
27. Love actually.
28. Petes Christmas.
29. Christmas With The Kranks.
30. Surviving Christmas.
31. White Christmas.

Yes I have watched 27 of them this month as well as quite a few cheesy, corny, crappy made for tv ones and a few not worth a mention.

Merry Christmas. :-D
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I'd certainly include 'Scrooge' (1951) starring Alastair Sim, based on Charles Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol'. (Read the story here: http://gutenberg.org/ebooks/46)

When I first saw the film as a youngster the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come scared the hell out of me, but it had, of course, a wonderful memorable ending. Avoid the colourised version.

God bless us, every one..

Just found the film on YouTube:

[youtube]urdJOySUOzE[/youtube]
Last edited by Gullscorer on 24 Dec 2016, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

chunkygull wrote:Well its that time of year again, stress, panic, tension, spending too much, eating too much, drinking too much (not me).

I go a little bit ott about christmas as the wife will tell you, I drive her mad with the decorations and turning the house into santas grotto, the songs in the car, buying presents and thinking about christmas for 8 months of the year as well as fussing over buying the right thoughtful presents for people, all the while as the big day comes closer banging on about the true meaning and peace and goodwill, why cant people be nicer to each other more often etc.

You would think I would like life to be like one of those dodgy, sickly, non realistic, happy ending, predictable christmas films wouldnt you. Well to be fair thats my wifes biggest christmas irritant, me with the christmas films. Ya see all through December I watch constant christmas films and as the big day approaches I have a set play list of all my favourites on dvd and they probably are the best ones, as well as squeezing in just about every other film I can including some of those really dodgy, corny made for tv American crappy ones that can be found on channel 5, true movies and christmas 24.

As December 25th approaches I play my top favourite films in counting down order, culminating on Christmas Eve with my top 3. The finale is always Scrooged with Bill Murray, theres just something about that version that gets me and always brings a little tear to my eye. Its that last bit with Murrays speech, absolutely sublime and a lot of it was ad-libbed. Ive just finished watching it and I actually watched the ending again.

The order of favorite for some of the list may change but my top 11 pretty much stays the the same.

I dont watch any Christmas films after Christmas Eve, I cant abide that for some reason, for me they are all about the build up and dont really make sense after Dec 24th. Indeed my favourite day of the year is Dec 24th, for me its all about the build up. the atmosphere and anticipation. Apart from spending time with close family, giving out their gifts and watching the Doctor Who christmas special, it all falls a bit flat after the 24th.

Anyway, this list of films, apart from 3 I have watched them all this month and they are great, probably had too much time on my hands and its been ideal just sticking them on the telly whilst perched on my exercise bike having my daily workouts( 8 stone down and counting!) There are a few films missing which would be on many others lists, but some I dont have, might not have seen or dont neccesarily rate, notably Its a Wonderful life, whilst number one on many lists I have never managed to watch it all without falling asleep. It is a great ending, possibly one of the best, but the rest of the film is a yawnfest and they always stick it on tv on something like the 28th or 29th, which is frankly ridiculous, it just doesnt work after Christmas Eve..

Right well Im off to watch Blackadders Christmas Carol, thats on a whole other list along with a few Only Fools and Horses christmas Specials.

Heres my list, whats yours?

1. Scrooged.
2. National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.
3. Elf.
4. The Grinch.
5. Home Alone.
6. Home alone 2. (watched all 5, but 3 are rubbish)
7. Fred Claus.
8. Santa Claus the Movie.
9. The Santa Clause.
10. Gremlins.
11. Deck The Halls.
12. Trading Places. (Higher on fave comedy list)
13. Arthur Christmas.
14. The Santa Clause 2.
15. A Christmas Carol. (Jim carrey)
16. Jingle All the way.
17. Miracle On 34th Street (1994)
18. Bad Santa.
19. Santa Who?
20. Lethal Weapon. (Higher on a normal film list)
21. Die Hard.
22. The Long Kiss Goodnight.
23. Eight Crazy Nights.
24. Die hard 2.
25. The Santa Clause 3.
26. Miracle On 34th Street. (1947)
27. Love actually.
28. Petes Christmas.
29. Christmas With The Kranks.
30. Surviving Christmas.
31. White Christmas.

Yes I have watched 27 of them this month as well as quite a few cheesy, corny, crappy made for tv ones and a few not worth a mention.

Merry Christmas. :-D

Well I've done it again havent I! I have watched pretty much all of the list above and quite a few on top of that, especially loads (at least 15 I reckon) of those crappy, cheesy made for tv ones, even a few on youtube whilst playing xbox, plus a few really dodgy ones but likeable such as Jingle All The Way 2. Oh and a few Christmas specials. Got a few more to go including my favorite top 3 tomorrow. Just watching Jingle All The Way with the lad now.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I don't trust anybody who rates the remake of Miracle on 34th Street over the original.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Only because of how great Sir Richard Attenbrough is. All of my list is changable according to mood except for my top 3.That never changes. Watching Scrooged right now.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Not exactly a Christmas film, but it begins with a Christmas scene, and it's as much a tear-jerking and heart-warming story as 'It's a Wonderful Life' ever was, so in my book it qualifies. And it's one of my favourite films, with a fine Irish actor: Pierce Brosnan in 'Evelyn':
[youtube]sJAG-CTlSKA[/youtube]
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

chunkygull wrote:

Well I've done it again havent I! I have watched pretty much all of the list above and quite a few on top of that, especially loads (at least 15 I reckon) of those crappy, cheesy made for tv ones, even a few on youtube whilst playing xbox, plus a few really dodgy ones but likeable such as Jingle All The Way 2. Oh and a few Christmas specials. Got a few more to go including my favorite top 3 tomorrow. Just watching Jingle All The Way with the lad now.
Blimey, reading back through that, I have pretty much done it all again, plus a few more, some newer ones and more shitty made for tv ones, I know Im sad but who cares. Still got my big 3 to go, dont know if Im going to make it, but I sure am going to try.
nat lamps 2.jpeg
nat lamps 2.jpeg (15.6 KiB) Viewed 7124 times
nat lamps 3.jpeg
nat lamps 3.jpeg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 7124 times
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Best Christmas film ever!
scrooged.jpg
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Ben-Hur (the William Wyler / Charlton Heston version); great music by Miklos Rosza:

[youtube]4hrbRDAOF4k[/youtube]
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

chunkygull wrote: Blimey, reading back through that, I have pretty much done it all again, plus a few more, some newer ones and more shitty made for tv ones, I know Im sad but who cares. Still got my big 3 to go, dont know if Im going to make it, but I sure am going to try. nat lamps 2.jpeg
nat lamps 3.jpeg
I was only saying the other day it was about time for Chunky's Christmas film post. ;-)

It isn't officially Christmas until Chunky posts his movies! :lol:

And of course you are correct with your number one. Bill Murray is a genius so anything with him in is guaranteed to be great. :nod:
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Gullscorer wrote:Ben-Hur (the William Wyler / Charlton Heston version); great music by Miklos Rosza:

[youtube]4hrbRDAOF4k[/youtube]
Great film but surely this should be on the best Easter films ever thread? :|
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Happy Christmas everyone! Hope you all have a great one. Thought I’d bring this topic back after 2 years of gathering dust. A great list of Xmas films compiled by chunkygull if anyone wants ideas for a film today, or maybe there are more to add?
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Has to be Love Actually, I can't believe it's so low on Chunk's list. I'm hoping Mr Westie falls asleep after dinner so I can watch it again. As for Elf - never seen it. Will Ferrell makes me want to punch the telly.
Happy Christmas y'all
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

westbaygull wrote: 25 Dec 2018, 09:42 Has to be Love Actually, I can't believe it's so low on Chunk's list.
Probably because it's vomit inducing bourgeois shite.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Scrooge is alive and grumpy ^^^^^

Any John Wayne or Audie Murphy film for me.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com