Money no object...

General chat about anything else goes here.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Money no object...

Post by westbaygull »

Just watched a short video of Messi signing boots in London, and it got me wondering...if you could sign one player to play a season for us, from anywhere in the world, money no problem, would fit into any formation, look good in yellow and/or black...who would it be?

Lionel Messi for me. (please Mr Baker!!)
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

for me it has to be fabregas.
he was ruling the roost the whole game yesterday, and can also score goals :) ;-)
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I'd sign myself, just so I could get to play :)

And I'd be really cheap, too.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Even though I can't stand him, I would buy Didier Drogba. He is so strong, pacey, skillfull, his control his unbelievable and most importantly he gets goals!

Other than that; Tim Sills :) :)
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Danny_tufc wrote:Even though I can't stand him, I would buy Didier Drogba. He is so strong, pacey, skillfull, his control his unbelievable and most importantly he gets goals!

Other than that; Tim Sills :) :)
I cannot stand the bloke.

I would sign Gerrard, I think he is better suited for English football and will bring something to the team with regards to morale. Also it would mean TUFC would get International breaks LOL
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Awayday wrote: I cannot stand the bloke.

I would sign Gerrard, I think he is better suited for English football and will bring something to the team with regards to morale. Also it would mean TUFC would get International breaks LOL
You can't stand Didier Drogba, a guy who has set up a charitable foundation to help kids in his own country, put apparently *can* stand Steven Gerrard, who was dubiously acquitted of GBH because of an argument about Phil Collins?

You have odd criteria :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

happytorq wrote: You can't stand Didier Drogba, a guy who has set up a charitable foundation to help kids in his own country, put apparently *can* stand Steven Gerrard, who was dubiously acquitted of GBH because of an argument about Phil Collins?

You have odd criteria :)
I'm sorry I thought we were talking about signing players on their playing ability not on how nice they are to their mothers or pets.
I think Drogba (as a player) is much over rated by Chelsea fans and I personally think there are much better strikers / players out there. It says it all when even Chelsea have dropped him to the bench on occasions because it didn't suit the tactics.

What these players get up to outside of football I don't really care about, I avoid the tabloids for that very reason. Who cares that Rooney was sleeping with hookers whilst his wife was pregnant. Why should anyone other than his wife and his family care. I hate these people who give it the whole "they are paid enough and they have to lead by example". If that is the case why are the law not taking the catholic church to pieces right now and doing a full investigation under these claims of child abuse? I would much rather the guilty priests were punished and made an example of rather than Ashley Cole and the picture of his willy left on a mobile phone.

Drogba may be a nice bloke and does loads for charity, good for him, I am sure all major football stars donate / do a lot of charity work. Obviously putting their name against it is a great for publicity and help promote the charities, but what do the public get for knowing the complete ins and outs of footballers private lives?

I think it says it all when listening to Radio 5 live after the Rooney news came and their was speculation that he may be punished by Man Utd a caller phoned in and said "If I was to have an affair, my boss wouldn't look twice at it unless it affected my work, so why should Sir Alex do anything different to Rooney".
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Awayday wrote: I'm sorry I thought we were talking about signing players on their playing ability not on how nice they are to their mothers or pets.
I think Drogba (as a player) is much over rated by Chelsea fans and I personally think there are much better strikers / players out there. It says it all when even Chelsea have dropped him to the bench on occasions because it didn't suit the tactics.
When you say "I can't stand him" it very much appears that you're saying you don't like the person. You know, given that that is what the phrase means....I'd have thought you'd have used words like "over-rated" in the original post to describe Drogba if that's what you thought. As it happens I disagree with you there as well.

Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

Fair enough, wording wasn't brilliant.
Also stop disagreeing with me.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Awayday wrote:Fair enough, wording wasn't brilliant.
Also stop disagreeing with me.
No :)

Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

I was watching Barca last night can I change my mind and have Xavi or Messi or actually most of Barcelona instead please?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Messi didn't play for Barcelona last night....

We could always start a whispering campaign about Xavi, saying he has 'Torquay DNA' and have every newspaper in europe carry it...

Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

happytorq wrote:Messi didn't play for Barcelona last night....

We could always start a whispering campaign about Xavi, saying he has 'Torquay DNA' and have every newspaper in europe carry it...
Yes he did, he was taken off injured in the 2nd half and now looks like he is going to miss 2 games.
Just in case there is any confusion I was watching Barca v Atletico Madrid, Barca won 2-1 that I had sky+ from Sunday ;-)