RIP Robin Williams

General chat about anything else goes here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

RIP Robin Williams

Post by Colorado Gull »

Waking up to some very sad news this morning.

A brilliant actor and a very funny man.

Will be sorely missed by many.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Sad news indeed. Though many will remember him as one of the best stand-up comedians, I shall never forget his performances in films such as Dead Poets' Society, Good Will Hunting, Mrs Doubtfire, and One Hour Photo, where he brought a rare compassion and humanity to his roles.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We still have some of his work to look forward to: he has two holiday films due for release later this year: indie family comedy "Merry Friggin' Christmas," and "Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb" in which he reprised his role as Teddy Roosevelt.

In addition he starred opposite "Breaking Bad" regular Bob Odenkirk in the drama "Boulevard," which debuted at the Tribeca Film Festival earlier this year, and he also loaned his voice as the animated character of Dennis the Dog in "Absolutely Anything," the live-action British comedy starring Simon Pegg and Kate Beckinsale, which is due out in 2015.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Heard the news of this early this morning. I was quite shocked and thinking why would he do that. Why is it so many actors, musicians and entertainers seem to die so young and usually in tragic circumstances. We have lost so many in recent times.

Quickly thoughts of many things I have watched Robin Williams in down the years popped into my head. As the day has gone on and people talked about this and the tv has shown many tributes from many famous people the magnitude of it and what a dreadfully sad loss it is has really become apparent.

People die, it happens and it is very sad, if he had been ill or had died of natural causes or even a shocking accident that is bad enough, but for someone so gifted at entertaining people and especially making them smile or laugh to be living their life in so much torment and hiding behind the smiles and laughter, then they feel they have to take their own life is a terrible tragedy. Depression is a terrible illness, many people who genuinely suffer from it have a truly awful ordeal with it and although the general consensus is more understanding of it, most people will never know how difficult it is to live with.

As today has gone on I have thought more and more about how Robin Williams has entertained me and without realising how much I liked him and probably just took someone like thats talent for granted because he just always seemed to deliver.When I was a little kid I absolutely loved Mork and Mindy, then there were many films I have enjoyed over the years and not just the usual ones that keep getting mentioned like Mrs Doubtfire, Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets Society or Good Morning Vietnam, there are others too such as The World According To Garp, The Best Of Times, Hook,The Birdcage and many more. There are also quite a few films in which he has had bit parts or cameos where he has absolutely stole the show.

I remember very well watching his stand up, Robin Williams at the Met on channel 4 and I have seen it loads of times since as well as a few others but the met was awesome. It was totally brilliant even though a little bit manic, many have copied and nicked bits of it since. I remember years ago being a student at Torquay Tech, we had a fitness course and weekly hit the gym, we used to bring in cds and one we always played was Good Morning Vietnam soundtrack, in between the songs there was Williams' dialogue, there we were trying to lift weights but all laughing our asses off.

Some of the best moments of Robin Williams have been live shows such as stand ups, chat shows, interviews, award ceremonies and various appearances. A truly brilliant, funny, witty, clever and entertaining man. Even recently there was a stand up comedy show on sky arts where the comedians had no script or routine, they had to improvise their comedy and come up with material on the spot after being given a phrase or word. Williams as usual was sublime, funny, likeable, brilliant and way ahead of the rest.

Its striking also how many years Robin Williams was making good films and making generations laugh, my son has enjoyed a few of the same films I did as well as ones in his own time, such as Hook, Flubber, Aladdin, Robots, Happy Feet 2, Night At the museum 1 and 2. My son himself has caught a bit of the news today and is a bit sad, one of his absolute favourite films since he was little is Jumanji, he has watched it loads of times. Even the other day we were trying to pick a dvd and he suggested we watch it, I was like, "for christ sake you've seen it about 3000 times, not again". I wish I had watched it now because I dont think I can watch one of Robin Williams films for a while now, thats just the way I am.

The word legend gets thrown about too often, but today we definitely did lose one. Many A list stars have paid this tribute. Barrack Obama also, which is to probably be expected but our very own Prince Charles in a very unusual moment has also made a statement of tribute which is incredible. I chuckle at that when I think of a bit about him in Live at The Met.

God Bless You Robin Williams. RIP.

[youtube]ueDu_gZ_1ZA[/youtube]
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Thanks for that Chunky. Here's his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RobinWilliams

And a couple more performances:
[youtube]u_N6ezGK8XE[/youtube]
[youtube]M9FMrjDasBk[/youtube]
[youtube]4LaJDOD5cJI[/youtube]
Last edited by Gullscorer on 17 Aug 2014, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Ahhh nimno's!!! as Mork would say.
Very sad news but thanks for some of the greatest comedy of our age. Begs the question,Why are poets, artists and comedians depressed??? My daughter is an artist and her best work is when she is in a dark place as she suffers from it too. You never stop worrying about your loved ones.
Oblivion!!!!